Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a discussion about this and I say no.My family says they can't understand how I can stay home all the time,never going out for dinner or entertainment.I don't hang out with friends,never shop unless going for sale or stock-up items,in fact I hate going to town,just for the sake of going out,and I refuse to waste money!
My life is the way I want it,I always have something to do,full day every day.
I work seasonal Apr-Oct and my life gets hectic,loss of time to get things done at home,but I manage it.
I have my home,I cook and bake from scratch,have pets(domestic and wildlife)Greenhouse,gardens,grow vegetables,have a swimming pool,I cut,haul and stack wood for winter woodstove.I knit,sew,do crafts,have a Nintendo WII with dance and sports to play,a good camera to take on walks around the property,have family over for dinner quite often,and am a member of FV,etc etc.I am very active and happy at home.
I don't know why folks say I live a boring life,just don't get that!!!!!
Do you think being frugal is boring?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Not at all. The things that I do interest me and I find them fullfilling to me and don't feel like I am losing out on something not being out and about all the time.

Reactions: chowder

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Not boring... some people think that you HAVE to spend money for a good quality of life.

By finding things to do at/near home for free/almost the money is there for things you need/willing to spend more on/are important.

We don't have cable. If there is something we want to keep up on, there is hulu. We have to wait a few days, but it's not like the ending changes!

I think people think being frugal is boring because they AREN'T and don't know what it REALLY means.

Being frugal doesn't mean you are cheap, poor or bored.

Reactions: chowder and piney

·
Super Moderator
20,694 Posts
You sound just like me. I do all the things you do except for the seasonal job, and I'm not usually bored.

I think people who are creative rarely get bored.

Some people need to be entertained by other people. Other people know how to entertain themselves.

I also noticed when we lived in a city, entertainment cost a lot more than living in a rural area. So much of what you can do in a city involves entrance fees, while rural areas tend to have more things that are cheap or free.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I don't believe frugal is boring at all! I am so busy now, compared to the past when I was spending all the time, and I am loving it! Now I am doing things that give me pleasure....cooking from scratch, gardening, making my own HBA. I hate shopping....except for garage sales and Goodwill where I find the bargains.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just like anything else, frugal fun requires a little more creativity. To people that don't get it, that would equal "boring" or too much work. It's easier to spend without thinking. Frugality is such a foreign concept to most that they can't comprehend living a different way.

A game night at home for my kids and their friends with homemade treats costs us less than ONE single movie ticket, but they all have a blast. Nobody knows that it's a frugal alternative because we don't make a big deal about it. They are just having fun. There are tons of other examples.

At the end of the day, you should enjoy your fun frugal life and the peace it helps to bring you. Don't give the negativity the time of day. They'll be calling you someday when they need to cut corners.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have found that the more frugal I am the more fun we have. When you take advantage of the free days at museums you really make yourself go on that one day. In the past I would say Oh we'll go sometime because it didn't matter when and we never actually went. We go to free concerts in the park during the summer with our picnic dinner, we take free hikes, and we learn how to do so much for ourselves to save money that it is very fulfilling. I don't believe being frugal could ever be boring.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If going out for dinner, hanging out, and shopping are your family's standards for excitement, then I can't imagine a more boring life! There are lots more interesting things to do and they don't have to cost a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
When I was married, ex-MIL used to impose her idea of fun on us. She always judged and made fun of us for staying home, not going out to eat, not shopping, etc. , but I've never wanted to do those things all the time. I can vividly remember many of the times ex and I went out to dinner, or had a day out. But most of the time, I was happy to be at home, trying new recipes, gardening, or going for a walk or a bike ride.

Different strokes for different folks, it all depends on what you're into. I find frugal people more interesting than the rest because we can actually swap tips and ideas. I really don't care what someone found at the mall, or what they ate at Olive Garden.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Just have to say this, I am Boring no matter what I do, it's my maiden name. :)

·
27,948 Posts
Life is what you make it and if making time to notice and then enjoy the simple joys of life makes me a bore well too bad so sad for you. :p My simple life is simply wonderful. :cloud9:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yesterday my kids and I flew kites ($2) and then the whole family had a bonfire.with hot dogs, chips, and smores.(less than $10) And then I spent some "quality time":hubba: with the husband after the kids were in bed. Cant tell you a better day I had in whole life :) Not bored for one single minute :)

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Dc i can relate to what you posted when i was going all time and spending money life was boring but i couldn't figure out why i was so unhappy and kept thinking the next thing i bought would make me happy finally figured out material things didn't make me happy and especially getting the cc bill and worring about paying them now it makes me happy to get a dress for $5.98 at Sa and people think it came from a high price store. Jas that was cute way to go.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
certain friends have dropped me because i didn't want to "go out" after my reduced circumstances resulting from the divorce.

i have become a homebody with myself for company. if i want to socialize i hang out at the AA club.

G

·
I don't think they are judging you on frugality as much as the fact that you're a homebody. And yes, some people would find that boring. If I had to stay home all day, I'd be bored too. But obviously you're not. But I don't think that has to do with being frugal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I WISH I had time to be bored! we are always finding something to do...board/card games with the kids, basketball/baseball/football outside, coloring, lego's, badmitton or volleyball, frisbee, crafts, or we find something new to cook or make together. or my son's favorite activity in the summer, stick a piece of straw down in a worm hole and yank him out when you see him push on the straw. my daugher and I will do this at the baseball field and most of the other parents look at us like we are from another planet. :shrug2: whatever, I'm enjoying my kids

we had this issue when we traveled with my son's all-star team last summer. the other 11 sets of parents wanted to constantly go somewhere everyday and spend money when the boys didn't have a game. our hotel had a pool but they insisted we drive 45 mins to a lake. nevermind that it would have cost us $40 to go swimming at that lake. I said no thanks, I saved our money and our kids had a blast in the pool at the hotel. it's mind boggling how some people think they HAVE to spend money to enjoy themselves with their kids.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I believe this is the exact issue LadyV

My life sounds alot like yours chowder. Busy for almost free. Frugality has always been a challenge that I aim to win and usually do.

And talk about enjoying fun for free. My grandson was over the other day with lots of toys to choose to play with and guess what he played with for hours. The large box that my Easter decorations came in.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
An active mind is never bored!

I don't think frugal = boring, but most of my favorite activities are free or really inexpensive - walking/hiking, cooking from scratch, hanging out with friends on our patio, reading, listening to music/singing with my husband, etc. Yesterday I had one of the most lovely days I can remember - it started with working out w/ my husband at a friend's home gym, then cooking a meal to take to a pot luck lunch at the beach with 15 of our friends, which went on for most of the day, then we drove a little further out and walked until the sun set and the moon came up (did you all know that the full moon last night was the LARGEST moon in TWENTY YEARS?), then we came back to town and watched a movie with friends, and then came home and went to bed! We didn't spend a penny, except for the gas to drive about 4 miles, and about $1 for the ingredients for the dish I made. :) NOT BORING.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.