Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few days ago about the young man that died in Iraq from our community. I heard tonite that he had taken out a loan of somewhere in the neighborhood of $8000. for equipment to take with him to Iraq.......????

Do we not have enough gov't issue equipment for these men? Are all military personel taking out loans for it? Is this unheard of? Can you please explain....I'm really confused about this.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Lisa -
I asked GW (you owe me biiig!) and he said there's absolutely no way that this kid would've had to take out a loan for his military gear....however - if he purchased a satellite phone with GPS, they easily run $800 - $1000 ..... he said it just sounded impossible to actually have to take out a loan for any sort of gear.....

HTH...sorry your community is going through this....we just lost another boy too....

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I agree with Debbie. Maybe he wanted to take a laptop or webcam or something along those lines. He shouldn't have had to buy army equipment.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
The only equiptment that dh bought was small odds and ends. Nothing that would cost near that amount. I think that the most that he spent was for his new pt uniform. ( $130.00, I still don't see why they didn't issue it to them, but I guess after all they are "just National Guard" in the eyes of the army. He did buy some two way radios but they were only around $20.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ladies....I feel much better.
His Dad called me this morning to read me the touching card (sent along with flowers) from his platoon leader in Iraq and he said that he had borrowed $1000 for special gear...other than gov't issue. He had been having trouble with his back and he was a machine gunner so he bought a special pack and some other belts and easy to grab equipment....that the gov't did indeed issue but it was (as I'm sure it all is) one size fits all. Aaron had a lot of gear to carry and in a crunch he bought what he thought would make it much easier for him.
Do you think that the bank required credit life on this loan? I'm asking b/c some of us are wondering if we should take up a collection to pay it off. The dad isn't really in a position to do that.
Thanks again ladies, I really hope my post didn't sound accusatory towards the military that your loved ones are serving in. I certainly didn't mean it that way at all.
:hug2:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I would tell them to check with the institution that the loan was from. They might not be responsible to pay it back. If the son was an adult, and they did not co-sign, I would not see where the parents would have to pay it back. Best of luck to them. This must truely be a difficult time for them.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has been really hard for this family, as it is every family.
Thank you Debbie...and everyone who responded to this. I wish there was something more than food, cards, phone calls and flowers that could be done during a time like this. :(

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I saw a picture of this dear young man yesterday on the internet. He looked so young with so much of life ahead of him. I have to admit to entering names of people I know in the military to make sure that they were not on the deceased list and thanking God each time those names did not appear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts