Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought ABeka Themes in Literature for my 9th grader's literature course, but to be honest, I don't like the way it's laid out. I also have one of my college textbooks (Backpack Literature) that's FULL of great literature (poems, short stories, and plays).

I thought rather than follow the scope & sequence laid out with the ABeka curriculum, I'd do units with literary concept themes. That way I can pick what I like from the ABeka book and supplement with the college textbook (it's not above her reading level, she's already reading well into college reading levels). You know, a unit on Foreshadowing, a unit on Irony, a unit on Poetry Diction, etc.

Keep in mind this is just the literature portion of her English class. She will also have grammar & composition, spelling & vocab, writing, and LOTS of free reading.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
As long as its within your state's guidelines and she can pass the tests, I think that's a great way to do it!

I think education is best when its mapped out to suit the needs of the student AND teacher! Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I have been using college textbooks for both of my kids since one was in 5th grade and the other was in 7th. We have used them for World History, U.S. History, Biology, Physical Science, Algebra, Short Stories and Literature with great success.

I don't see any reason why it should be a problem. Sounds like a good idea to me. Good luck!!!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
I don't know what the rules for homeschooling are, but have you thought about teaching it through novels? Just taking her to the library and letting her pick different novels that fit whatever themes you need to cover? It's definitely one way to create a lifelong reader.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
This sounds good to me. I'm new to this board, and have 12 years of homeschooling experience. Both my girls are in university...the youngest taking Creative Writing.

I often worked their learning through themes...including literature. But our themes were a bit different. We picked science fiction as a theme, fantasy as a theme, environment, etc. and read books - fiction and non - short stories, poems, etc. related to those themes. We also ran creative writing, grammar and comp., and spelling and vocab separately...alongside.

I think it will work as long as both of you are happy with that approach.

Jean

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
If your state has guidelines, you need to be sure that you are complying.

I am a retired English teacher and I loved teaching freshmen. Your idea of teaching lit via literary techniques can work, but it also can be difficult. Good literature can have several techniques: foreshadowing, personification, irony, etc. all in one piece.

Another idea is to break the lit down by literary type: essay, satire, poetry (and all its various types), novel, short story, novella, etc.

You might want to, at this point, look ahead at her full set of literature for high school, and map out her next 4 years. That way you can build on concepts that she learned in 8th grade and continue that building for the next several years.

I would also encourage free-choice reading and library time, so that she can develop her own interests in reading.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep in mind this is just the literature portion of her English class. She will also have grammar & composition, spelling & vocab, writing, and LOTS of free reading.
I would also encourage free-choice reading and library time, so that she can develop her own interests in reading.
Lots of reading is not an issue for us. She LOVES to read. Now my boys, that's a whole other ball o' wax :rolleyes:

If your state has guidelines, you need to be sure that you are complying.
Thankfully, even though NY is one of the more strict states to homeschool in, they really don't dictate exactly what has to be taught in what grade. Especially as far as what pieces of literature to be use to teach what. That's at my discretion.

I am a retired English teacher and I loved teaching freshmen. Your idea of teaching lit via literary techniques can work, but it also can be difficult. Good literature can have several techniques: foreshadowing, personification, irony, etc. all in one piece.
Thankfully, the ABeka textbook and the college textbook that I have, have pieces of literature that are broken down my literary terms. For foreshadowing there's a Leo Tolstoy short story, etc. So far I've been able to pull one or two short stories or poems that deal with the particular literary term I'm building a theme around.

Another idea is to break the lit down by literary type: essay, satire, poetry (and all its various types), novel, short story, novella, etc.
That is a good idea!!

You might want to, at this point, look ahead at her full set of literature for high school, and map out her next 4 years. That way you can build on concepts that she learned in 8th grade and continue that building for the next several years.
The problem is she wants to go back to PS for 10th grade, so for her this is the only year she will be homeschooled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts