Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ok I know I nominated him as man of the month and I still think he should be.But tonight he got on this big kick that I run everything around here and that I am in charge of everthing(his money his day)I admit I do take on a lot of things before going by him first,but everything I do is to benift all of us.Like he complained that I opened up a savings account for our new house we want to build without him knowing.Ok he must have forgot the time he said'' I know we want to build a house so why don't you just focus on the savings part for right now and when we get closer then we can decided on what we want.''So I opened a CD which has a higher intrest rate on a reg savings and much higher than if we just put it in a shoe box(what if our house burnt down)He also complained about he never gets what he want(groceries)meaning I don't buy a lot of junk anymore.All of this started when he tried to call and couldn't get threw(I was on the phone with my mother).We just took call waiting off,I didn't see the need in waisting that money.Maybe its just me,maybe I've become to tight with the money.And maybe a little bit of it is that he works and I don't.Had to remind him that even though he brings home all the money,I work my little tail off to save a lot of money.Since becoming frugal we have paid off 3 debts and started a savings for our house,have a full pantry(6mo supply)or utility bills are much lower than last year and aren't hurting for anything,actually I think we have 3 times more clothes than we did before frugality and I know our pantry is 5 times fuller than before.So my question is what in the world is he complaining about.

Sorry about the rant

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
No complaints here. DH loves it that I can save money at the store, off bills etc. His girlfriend before we got together left him with $25,000 in CC bills and consumer loans. They never had anything. Now he only has $6,000 of a CC from her left, and we have our own house, everything in it is brand new and paid off.

You've been handling the bills, so he probably really has no clue as to what's going on, and how much things really cost. If he figures since he makes the money, he should be in charge of it- Let him pay the bills for a month while trying to save. I gaurentee you, he'll fail miserably and hand it back over to you.

As for the call waiting, so one time out of how many times he calls he can't get through. BOO HOO for him. That doesn't justify the additional $5.00 a month plus taxes.

As for the groceries, before you go shopping, ask him if there's anything special he wants you to pick up. That seems to make my dh happy.

HTH!!

Laura

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Thankfully my dh never complains. He talks a LOT about things he wants to go buy, but I just head him off at the pass and show him the financial situation at that particular moment and he doesn't say anything more. He fully understands that if we can't purchase it with cash, we're not getting it. I refuse to use the credit cards! LOL It took a while for him to get to this point of acceptance though (he would just always whip out the cc) - he never has been a complainer though.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
My DH is glad I try to save money. I hear him telling his friends how I get free stuff with coupons. On the other hand, this is the same man that leaves lights on all over the house.:(

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See thats the thing he brags all the time that I am saving us so much money and all that,but about once a mo(guess guys have the time of the month too)he goes into this thing that it is HIS money and that he should say where it goes.He's much better today,when he gets home we are going to the store to get some things for his lunches.

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
Mine loves my frugality, but I do temper it with him. I refused to keep buying the gallon of almost $4 chocolate milk he drank 3/4 of each week and was wasting the rest of, but I found a syrup he likes and make him chocolate milk at home once a week or so at a fraction of the cost. I always make sure when superpretzels go on sale for .99 a box I stock up, at .15 for a hot pretzel I can make him a fresh, hot snack as soon as he starts looking for something, they're his fav so he does'nt see it as frugal. I also make the flavored coffees at home rather than his old fix at $3 each. I swear it has saved our bank account and our relationship.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
JalClark, your husband reminds me so much of mine!!
He does the whole bragging bit too, but there are times he starts to complain complain!
I understand about the call waiting! We were paying something like 20 bucks extra for extra features like that, we USED to not have it but now suddenly we have it again!
He'll complain about the fact that I don't do anything to HELP..
I got so mad about that the other night that i threw away the loaf of bread that was rising on the stove i had been making for HIM..Then he did a complete turn around and started saying how he realized i do EVERYthing in the house and that he meant it..I guess he really likes his bread!

Jersygirl! I do the same thing with the superpretzyls ..i stock up when i get them for 15 cents! They are like a maincourse to him too so it's even better!
I know too how you feel about the milk!! Only his is regular milk but it has to be Berkley Farms milk nothing else..but i FINALLY found a place that carries it for 3.29 a gallon and not 4.29 like we used to pay. Oh man i had been watering his milk down for a while, until one day i did it too much and he noticed! hmm maybe time to start it up again...but you know what really bugs me is his COKES! He will open it and not even TOUCH it and i'll find it in the morning UGHHH that is the biggest pet peeve of mine!! It makes me want to scream!

·
Registered
113 Posts
mine is a half n half too. One minute he is complaning because im saying we cant afford to get pizza, and the next he is ranting and raving why we cant afford such and such. I have learnt ( slowly) to go with the flow, or the smile and nod technique, it passifies things for the moment and next time we rae having a calm moment we talk about .

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I think when I first started out with my "frugal madness" he thought I was crazy!!:D I used to buy a lot of convience type foods, the type that you could grab and eat and go. He had a hard time with me not shopping that way anymore. He got over it quick though and now he is very impressed and proud of me!:D

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think that convenience food is the general area of complaint with not only my dh but the whole family. If there isn't something to grab in the cupboard, there isn't anything to eat at all. Other than that there isn't any complaining from dh. If anything he's more 'naturally' frugal than I am. Sometimes I really have to watch what I'm spending as I can get a little carried away.

JALCCLARK, it sounds to me like your dh is feeling either deprived or out of the loop. Maybe if you splurge a little on some extras just for him he'll be happy. Or he maybe thinks he doesn't have any control over the money at all. Does he sit down and pay bills with you? You may need to go over all transactions with him for a while until he feels satisfied that all is going well and isn't interested any more. That shouldn't take long, lol.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yup. And since I've been at this frugal thing for over 10 years (ever since TWG), I've learned which things to give into. DH gets alot of "wants" ...and I've learned to look the other way. I used to stress out about it...but realized part of my path to frugality was to "keep my life simpler". DH and I fighting over his deisre to keep Nabisco "in good" with Wallstreet just wasn't worth it. Lucky, he's frugal in other areas....so I try to focus on those.

Besides..he's still kinda cute;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts