Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine doesn't. He just lives with what I like.:)

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
No, thank goodness!!
I saw his apartment when we were dating. His idea of decor is 'hot wheels' cars displayed on the entertainment center :toothy:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
No, I take care of the inside and he takes care of the outside!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Not really. He has hung all the pictures on the walls, and did a great job, but for the most part, any decorating is me. Which is not saying much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Okay, I'm happy that mine doesn't really care about decorating.

AmyBoz, I saw your pics and they are very nice! So somebody knows something about decorating in your house. If not your hubby, then it must be YOU!:smball:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
DH doesn't like to help me decorate, therefor he has to live with it....

·
Registered
119 Posts
:crackup: :yucky: He's tried to build some things with wood and help out but thankfully he doesn't do that too often. (shiver)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I was going to say DH does help --- but maybe he just goes with what I suggest. We are making plans and getting ready for re-painting and refurbishing much of our first floor in preparation for a family reunion in June. So far it has been a joint decision making process. He has the ideas on the repairs, and I'm deciding on colors.

I have also been lurking on the decluttering threads and getting lots of ideas. Before I knew about the challenge and the NYNH threads I had decided 2006 was The Year of Organization --- and the reunion hanging over my head is great for spurring me along. I'll continue to lurk --- the previous challenges I have joined in on have never panned out, so I'll just take inspiration from your successes.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Dh does help decorate here! Of course he has never purchased something without getting my approval. He has very good taste.....thank heavens! He also hangs all pictures, shelves, etc....

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Philip does. He's really creative and has painted several things that we display in our house. His style and mine are very similar. His mom is one of my inspirations in some of my decorating so it all works out fine. :)

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Yes, my dh does. He has very good taste

·
Registered
610 Posts
My husband and I have the same tastes. It might be weird but we like theme rooms and have similar interests. Coca cola, watermills, trees, chickens, maps. He has wonderful tastes and helps me with all the decorating. I would never buy a piece of furniture or a picture that he didn't like.
I am not into frilly or floral and he really appreciates that :)

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Not if I have anything to say about it!!!!:toothy:

we went thru the phase where I tried to please the unpleasable, and I bought a DISGUSTING tweed couch that I hated because it was the ONLY one Mr. Picky felt would comfortably attach to his behind! It took MANY years to wear that sucker out!!!!

Later as married life went on, I realized that Mr Picky was seldom happy with anything, he is a glass half empty kinda guy. I love him dearly and I'm a glass half full kinda gal so I might as well please myself because nothing will ever quite blow his socks off with pleasure.

Whereas I can deeply enjoy my home when I decorate it to please me, PLUS I'm a happier camper since I'm the one who spends most time in the family home, and when I'm happy, he is generally ok with life.

BUT if I wanted decor that was comfortable for both of us, I would have to allow him limited choice.

So he has veto rights but they are like this

me: Honey do you like the beige couch or the navy one better?

him: Weeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllll in a moan tone, I'm not sure I like either one.

me: Honey is there one in the store you like?

him: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllll I wanna go home, I'm tired of shopping.

me in a steadily firmer tone: Honey I am buying a couch TODAY! The two that I like best are the beige one over there and the navy.

him getting grumpy: I don't care, you choose, I wanna get outta here!

me firmly and sweetly: OK sweetie, I think I like the navy best, lets get it, and then I'll make you a nice cuppa tea at home and we are done for the day.

:toothy:

This snapshot of margery and george is accurate in general, and can be applied to many a house decor choice.

Another variation in a moan tone by the dh:

him in martyr mode: I'm not sure I like ANY of those paint choices but you are just going ahead and going to paint anyway, and you'll choose whatever you like.

me: I'm thinking that either the French Vanilla or the Monroe Bisque would work nicely. I like both of them, do you have a preference.

him: no

me: Well if you don't like either, here are some other colours (showing entire Benjamin Moore fandeck of all possible paint colour choices known to mankind!)

him: well I dunno, you choose!

me: Ok thats great I'll pick up a gallon on payday. I'll make the final decision by then.

(this after 5 years of me looking at paint chips, and 5 years of opportunity for him to express an opinion other than "I dunno, I just know I don't care much for those ones." When asked what he DOES like instead, it's more of I dunno.

Sooooooooooooooooo no dh does NOT help me decorate.

He does show up after and say thanks, he does like the finished product.

Smart man! He knows that he better like it or else!!!:toothy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts