Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one area we both agreed on all the while we had debt. (Actually one of the few we have agreed on - we are totally opposities.)

We both knew how much debt we had and although I made all the payments, I never hid how much debt we carried.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am thankful that I can say that we have always been honest about this. I am not quite sure of his tool bill....but I know it is within our agreed range. He also will call if there is something he needs for work (and if it is over $250) to let me know. He has an account with the tool man because of his job. We don't have any credit cards anymore! which totally freaks out our family but I don't want one...they can be trouble. I would rather pay cash. Now if I could only get those medical costs down.

·
Registered
400 Posts
We have never had debt that only one of us knows about, it has made life a lot easier. We always discuss major purchases and we are both aware of how much money is coming in and going out so it has never been an issue.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
We have never hid the debt from each other as well. We sit down and figure what needs to be paid each month and pay it. Christmas time is the only time we do not tell each other how much we are going to spend on it each only. It works out well.

·
Registered
494 Posts
We both are completely aware of our debt. Since all of our debt is ours together, there is no hiding it. But if there was debt that was only his or mine, we'd still know all the details, there is nothing we keep from one another.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Like all of you we are both very much aware of any debt we have had over the 23 years we have been married. I would never ever hide any of that from him........wouldn't be able to sleep at night!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
We have never hid anything from each other. We have always had joint bank accounts. I could not hide anything from DW if I wanted to. At 2:00 a.m. from a sound sleep, she will yell at me from across the house when I drink straight from the milk jug. How do you ladies do this?

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
no hiding nothin' here! :)

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Not only do I keep dh informed but the books sit right here by the computer with balances AND he knows the passwords to the bank and the car and cc balances are right there.

No way would I add debt without dhs knowledge and he wouldn't either.

You have to have respect for your spouse.:hugz:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
We have never hid anything from each other. We have always had joint bank accounts. I could not hide anything from DW if I wanted to. At 2:00 a.m. from a sound sleep, she will yell at me from across the house when I drink straight from the milk jug. How do you ladies do this?

It's FM :lol3:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
We only have auto and home debt and we both know the numbers. He is more involved now than ever before. I have always taken care of the bills and since I knew it was done, I didn't see the point in going over every detail with him. Now, I let him know each month what we owe, what was paid, what extra was sent, and we talk about future goals.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
We've never really had any secrets from each other. We've always been open and honest about what debt we had since before we got married. We are more on the same page now, about never opening another line of credit ever, we both agree on that 100%.
The closest we've ever come, was the day DH came home with a new (used) truck. We had discussed buying another used vehicle and had decided to wait for a few months until we could pay cash. Well, he was shopping and found one he liked and financed it. I was pretty ticked at first, but he got a heck of a deal at that moment, and was afraid it wouldn't be as great of a deal if he waited it out. So he bought it. Once I realized what a deal it really was (we paid around 5K for the truck and it was valued over 9K) I gave in and wasn't as made as I made out to be!

And fixer...we just have that sixth sense about things like that! I know if my kids are jumping on the bed, even if I'm 3 miles away visiting a friend! :hero:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I don't hide any of the debt from hubby, but he doesn't really pay attention to the bills. However, I make sure to have a dialogue with him about what I am planning for financially to see if he is on board with it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Our situation is simple in that we only have one debt, the mortgage, and I'm paying it down as fast as I can.

When we got married 8 years ago, DH knew he was horrible with money, so he handed over his debts and his paychecks to me and trusted me to dig him out, and I did. Outside of the mortgage, I've never carried debt.

·
Registered
632 Posts
We do not have any debt other than our mortgage. Even when we had large loads of massive debt we never hid anything. Never. That's just something we will never do, even without debt we sit down together and pay the bills and discuss finances and what's going where.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have never hidden debt from dh but he also was not aware of the total. He just was not involved so no the totals are posted right next to the computer so he has to see where we are.

My problem has been in the past bailing out our kids. Yes I still help when needed but now we all sit down together and work out the plan in writing

Still need to get dh on the same page with our online accounts. He needs to know the passwords and what I pay online and when. What if I got sick? or worse?

but secrets no

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
We are both fully aware of how much debt we have. Ever since we got on the DR plan and consolidated our finances fully, we have no financial separation at all.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Don't hide any of the debt. This way he is not surprised. Now he may not know what all gets paid out every month, but at the beginning of every month I tell him what the balances are in each account and if we will have enough coming in to pay all the bills. that is all he cares about.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts