Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen it mentioned a bazillion times that doing your laundry in cold water saves $$, and your clothes come out just as clean as with warm/hot.

But whenever I do it, I find the suds do not rinse out and I have to put through another rinse cycle. Is my machine a piece of crap, or does cold water require less soap? I'm just not getting this!!

Laura

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I use less soap anyway and usually cold water, mine comes out fine, try a little less and see how you like it.......... Laundry soap should be low or no sudsing so don't expect a lot suds....

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I pretty much use cold water for all my wash. I use less soap than they say to, also. I haven't noticed residual soap on the clothes, either. I usually run a little warm water in the machine in the beginning to dissolve the soap, then start the cold water.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I use cold water for all my laundry also and I also use less soap. I haven't had a problem.

I did find that using liquid soap on dark clothes is much better than powdered laundry soap. I use very little liquid soap when I wash the darker clothes.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I use cold water all the time. I put the detergent, let the water flow, when it's full, let the washer start moving witout the clothes a little then put your clothes in. This way, you give a chance for the soap to dissolve in the cold water. I use vinegar in the rinsing cycle, which removes excess soap.

Good luck! Hope it works!:)

Lucie

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wash our clothes in cold water unless it is something unusual...like a dirty football uniform..then I use warm.

I haven't had any trouble with soap disolving but I don't use very much....half of the little cup that comes with the box and I use the cheap soap from Sams in the plastic bucket!

Here is something funny....our oldest son moved out and told me his clothes were coming out all wrinkled and the soap was stuck to the top of the load. Come to find out he stuffed as much clothes as he could in the machines! Yikes! I thought I had taught him better!....guess when he lived at home he didn't wait until everything he owned was dirty!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Cut back on your detergent. I only use 1/4 of what the soap manufacturer suggests. They want you to use more so you have to buy more. ;)

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I get that when I use powder in the winter....So I try and buy liquid or use warm water for a few mins to dissolve the powder.In the summer I use cold water and powder and never have a problem.

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I have very hard water, and I switched to liquid...I do all my wash in cold water with only 1/2 or less the called for amount....If I used what the manufacture called for I'd have to re-wash 3-4 times just to get off the soap!!!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I cold water just about every time I wash, and have cut down so low on laundry soap. I only use about a 1/3 of a scoop. The only time I ever use hot or even warm is if the laundruy like towels or sheets were used in a sick room, :puke: (get it)

·
27,948 Posts
mrscornbread said:
I cold water just about every time I wash, and have cut down so low on laundry soap. I only use about a 1/3 of a scoop. The only time I ever use hot or even warm is if the laundruy like towels or sheets were used in a sick room, :puke: (get it)
You've expressed my sentiments so much better than I could have Robin. Very eloquent.:D (got it)

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I've just started using cold water and haven't had any problem. I use a little less liquid soap than called for, but by reading you guys' posted I think I will be cutting down even more. :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
i pretty much always use cold water (mainly liquid detergents) No problem!!!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks ladies! I have been using liquid right along- but I will try cutting back and see what happens :)

Laura

1 - 15 of 15 Posts