Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any shop at a Dollar General? There is a new one that I pass by when I go to my MIL. I was wondering if it is worth stopping in or should I keep going.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I like the Dollar General, but prefer the Dollar Tree since the one near us even sells frozen waffles, frozen chicken (smaller pack) but only for $1 each. I go there for packing tape and bubble mailers too! That's my favorite dollar store but I shop at any of them if I can get items for $1.

Dollar General's items arent all $1 though, that's the bad part, some items sold there I can get cheaper at our regular grocery store, maybe you can stop by and see if it's worth a 2nd trip. :)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I like purchasing Cover girl products there, because they are usually .50-$1 cheaper than walmart and they accept coupons. Some of their basic food prices are ok too.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Dollar General because stuff's pretty much the same price (sometimes more expensive!) than a bigger store. Maybe it varies by area, but ours is lame.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
There a few things in ours that are a good price but here you really have to watch, a lot of their stuff is not any cheaper than WalMart and the store is not the cleanest place in town.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I love Dollar General. The one right down the street from us is clean and well stocked. I get my cleaning products there, school supplies and even the boys socks and undies. Also most of my h&ba there too. They have great clearance sales too.

·
Registered
966 Posts
We have one about 3 blocks from my house. It's becoming increasingly more expensive, for example $2 for the same Tupperware that was $1 at Dollar Tree. It's always trashed, too, but I don't live in a great area, so this one is full of freaks and weirdos most of the time :loop:

Still, it's a bargain for some things. Since you hang out on this board, you probably know your prices!! So it's probably worth a look. I buy cleaning supplies and drinks there on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I do for certain things. It is on the way to work (so is Dollar Tree - aren't I the lucky one?), and I find some things there that are either low cost staples (canned foods) or that I like (sudoku books and socks).

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a Dollar General and a Dollar Tree near me. I do actually also prefer The Dollar Tree better. I've found that some of the products in Dollar General have gotten pricer and pricer. I do get my laundry detergent and toilet paper there though....haven't really found anyplace else that can beat them on those items that I use.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There a few things in ours that are a good price but here you really have to watch, a lot of their stuff is not any cheaper than WalMart and the store is not the cleanest place in town.
The upside to DG is that you don't get stuck in a long line like can happen at Walmart. I agree on the cleanliness of the store but the Walmart here is just as bad if not worse.

UKBB

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Not being from the US and having been graced with the opportunities to stop in at a few DG's...I can say I honestly enjoy it there. I do stock up on HBA products as its cheaper vs Target/Wmart/Kmart down there. But they dont have all the varities that the bigger chain stores do for certain labels. I wish we had something similiar here.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
We're an equal distance (but in different directions) from Dollar General, Dollar Tree and Family Dollar. They do have good deals... sometimes, but I have found you have to watch that it's really a bargain and not regular price as other stores that would eventually put it on sale. For example, VO5 shampoo is $1 but our local grocery put it on sale a few weeks ago for 77 cents. Just have to know your prices, but deals can be found. Dollar General also has a habit of selling a product and when it's gone, they no longer sell it... now that's a bummer!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Our dollar tree is actually cleaner than our walmart. I like the cleaning supplies and I find purex powered laundry soap there once in a while. A big box is 4.00 and lasts us about 2 months.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
we have a dollarama 3 in the whole province, and use to have a the dollar store_things went up tp $5--cheaper in walmart most times.
I love my dollarama especially in the bigger city .

·
Registered
639 Posts
It is the only place to buy socks & undies in our small town. DD2 goes to guitar lesson once a week & it is right next to dollar general. Her lesson is 30 min long, so I will browse through the store while waiting. last week I bought a nice cutting board, scissor, 2 knife set for $2 on clearance, 6 washcloths for $3 & some garden seeds for 50 cents a big packet. Next time I'll take a bunch of HBA coupons.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I always buy greeting cards at Dollar General. They are 2/$1. Some other things can be a good deal, and they do accept coupons. Just go in and look around. Compare the prices to what you pay elsewhere, and decide what it makes sense to buy at DG.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I go to the DG alot. There are like three of them within a five mile radius from me and they are all different in some ways. Some are cleaner than others and some have a better variety. I go to one more often than the others, which happens to be the farthest because it is the nicest one.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
what are HGA products?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts