Frugal Village Forums banner

181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
well, got the builder to come back and put up plastic around the first floor of my place. With a plywood door. He called me at work to tell me that he'd leave the key with the chickens...
I went in today to check it out because he also said it was all cleaned up....well if you consider NOT SWEEPING AT ALL to be "all clean" then OK. WHatever. I put one of my tattiest throw rugs from a thrift store (they are woven and washable) in there so once i get it swept up a bit, mud and chicken poo and sawdust all over, I can take off my dirty boots and wear some old but less filthy shoes while in there.

I am glad to get it plastic wrapped though to keep the chickens and larger critters and most birds out. It's a nice shelter for all beings and they were starting to take up residence.
Goal this weekend is to get disks for the new sander and be ready to start sanding the rough surfaces.

The hens are starting to come back on line with the eggs! I had been getting 1 brown egg most days and a large white egg some days. I only have 1 hen who lays big white eggs so I knew that was Pearl. I think the brown one was Gertrude. One day I got 3 jumbo size browns! So Gertrude, Porky and Suzanne are all back laying. Pru, the blue egger, is not on line yet and I think the 5 year old banty, Flora, is not laying yet. Those are little while warty-shelled eggs. Poor thing is SO OLD. We're getting tons and tons of pasta from 2nd harvest. So much that it's hard to pass it on...it's like zucchini in september. A friend gave me a tip that it can be a treat for the hens. Yesterday I boiled some up (I designated a pan for chicken feed) with crushed eggshells. When I brought it out this morning, Gertrude, she's quite a character, and Clyde (the youngest rooster) were quietly eating it and acting like they were being sneaky about it...then they got below the egg shells and saw the pasta. Must have looked like worms. They went BONKERS, especially Gertrude, and got into a feeding frenzy which alerted the other 6 chickens. No more secret treats. Everyone was bunched around the little dinged up soup pan of cold pasta.
Tonight I am boiled some pasta up with the blood from some free bison meat. I didn't want to waste it. Good source of minerals I figured. So I rinsed the package out into the chicken feed pan along with scraps of veg from making buffalo soup and some broken up spaghetti. I'll give it to them in the morning.

I got a fortuitous email newsletter from the community garden lady She reminded us how to make a hugelkultur garden bed (wood, clay-y soil, manure, compost and mulch). I was just about to put manure on my terrace behind the new house. I'll throw on a bunch of the waste lumber, it's all fresh cut fir and pine, untreated, that is too wet to burn. It's so sappy it clogs the stove pipe pretty fast. Maybe half on the garden and half to dry for the stove next winter.
I have some soil (it's all clay) from the excavation of said terrace, and 2 cubic yards of steer manure. In 3 or 4 years that will be a killer garden bed.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
I always instructed anyone working at our place NOT to clean up. They got around $90/hr and there was no way I wanted to pay that for grunt work I could do myself for free.

I'm so happy for you that your house is so far along. You've been waiting so long.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks all!

As for clean up. I paid a set price, not time and material. If I was paying by the hour then nope. I was told the guys would sweep up and the boss assumes they did. I won't have them drive back out for it. I have gloves and a broom

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I don't know if I mentioned this earlier on this thread. But you might like the BBC Historical Farm series. They cover the Stuart period (Tales from the Green Valley - year: 1620), Victorian (1880's), Edwardian (1901-1914), Wartime (World War II), and Tudor (1500).

They're a fun watch in general since the presenters are either historians or archaeologists. (Unlike the Historical House series where they pick random people for the experience.) And they might give some ideas on different tasks and recipes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have binge watched ALL of those on youtube. I got great tips from the shows.
I'm a big fan of the lady historian on there now because she seems even more sensible than the dudes

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I like all of them but yeah, Ruth Goodman does have a good head on her shoulders. I like her segments because it's more stuff I'm more inclined to do, rather than what the guys do.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
omg love them! There is also Victorian Pharmacy , Secrets of the Castle ..there is a medival castle in France that is being built the old way so they did a series... Full Steam Ahead ..history of the railroad in UK. 24hrs in the past she was a presenter more. wish there was more coming out.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ruth is the bomb! I watched the medieval castle one during covid and am all about the rush mats now!

So, I had trespassers again yesterday! Spent about 20$ on fresh "no trespassing" signs today to put up. Cripes. A woman, 40-ish and someone she called "gramma" drove all the way to my creek, about 1/8 mile in. Stopped and parked. I was expecting a friend about 30min later than this and thought "why would sherry be early? and who did she bring?" I started walking down the hill and finally said "I do not recognize you" The younger chick says "You have a cute house" and KEEPS WALKING TOWARD ME! I told her I did not know her and they had to leave. Her gramma tried to bring up people I might know in common. I just kept repeating "please leave" and having to physically block their path. Good lord people! THe old lady tried asking if I live in the tiny house. THe younger one kept saying "I understand". I just kept repeating "please leave" It took several minutes for them to finally get in the car and leave. I didn't move until they were out of sight. They drove past 4 "no trespassing" and "violators will be prosecuted" and "private property" signs. I guess I should start keeping the bb gun handy for looks. I don't want to hurt anyone but the idea that someone could come on a stranger's posted property and start asking personal questions just blew my mind...again.

I tried to find a "you're on camera" type sign but no luck so far. Maybe print one at work.

In the mean time...because no one on this thread has trespassed...here's a photo with the plastic up on the first story walls. It really looks like a house now! (which would also say to me "don't just drive up there, someone lives there")

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
Some people! The house looks great.

Have you considered a gate at the road? A hassle, I know. It could be as simple as a post on each side with a chain or cable padlocked. People who have your phone number could call you from the road if they wanted in.

Signs never seems to work very well. Too easy to ignore. You could fake-call the sheriff if they won't leave, if your phone's handy.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
If they were coming onto your private property, perhaps if you have a camera on your phone, take a picture of their license plate (and them). Not sure what the procedure is for contacting the police regarding trespassing, but perhaps having their picture taken might scare them off?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
some people have no boundaries..clueless..like you are just suppose to be ok for them to wander cus they feel like it. a gate like spirit says..a chain at least ..a pain for you but at least there is a clear sign saying don't enter. it is like people letting their dogs wander your front yard and getting upset when you say this is not a dog park..meanwhile they are peeing on your front stairs.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
Amazon carries a variety of "you're on camera" signs. Maybe local security companies would sell them. Ace Hardware might have them, or could order for you with free ship to store. Other chain hardwares might do same, even WM or other big box stores. Gun shops, fleet supply, or sporting goods stores may have signs more strongly worded against trespassing. Home Depot has several on their website they may be able to order for you. Search Results for you re on camera sign at The Home Depot

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks for all the tips! Yes, I need a gate. I have a rope/chain/cable (depending on what I haven't broken yet) across at the culvert because it's a narrow spot. It was down because I had people coming out at about the same time. I need a gate at the road but it costs . I am moving it higher on the "to do" list!

I was so surprised I didn't take a photo of their plate but will. And will look up those "you're on camera" signs. I 'm thinking of adding the words "the sheriff will be in touch".

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
We were told by a lawyer never to put up a "beware of dog" sign. If a dog bites someone, it's evidence the owner knew the dog might be dangerous. But I agree it might work better than no trespassing signs, and nonexistent dogs very rarely bite anyone.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Beware of imaginary dogs! Mythic beasts? Angry menopausal owner?
I've got the pick up parked across the culvert now so if people want to steal stuff at least they have to walk, or figure out how to move the truck.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
wonder if a recording of a dog would help. or like that voice activated commercial one.. step away from the house!

181 - 200 of 213 Posts