Frugal Village Forums banner

221 - 240 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Well, sounds like Fabio's going to be useful, even to the end.

:lol: Dad was trying to convince me to make some homemade pickles at some point and sending them to him. I suggested he talk to my sister who lives near him to make the pickles for him. I doubt I could get the pickles out to him since I make fridge pickles, rather than the canned pickles (the one that needs to be boiled in the jar, I think).

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
well that is the problem when the ego gets out of hand lol at least useful in the end for you. my friend posted that a dog got into his inlaws farm and killed 14 of their chickens. so he had to process them. may be a dog that was short chained and left out all the time so not looked after but not sure.

·
Registered
366 Posts
dang! I hope the dog was treated well!

The new rooster I got is now named Houdini! Put him in the coop after everyone was bedded down. He is NOT a welsummer as the woman said. Those are bigger and redder and friendlier. I think he is a chicken yard mutt that hatched out of a variety of things. He has cheek poufs (puffs? poofs?). That's usually an auracana/easter egger trait. Anyway, he's pretty little! black and white feathers with a standing comb. So I put him in there. In the morning...NO new rooster. I have to crawl around to stick my head in the coop (ick....poopy knees on the work pants). Nothing. The banty can get out so maybe he was even smaller than he looked! I give up looking and head out to the laundromat. Who should reappear magically down by the main creek...a few hundred yards from the coop...the rooster. Hence, Houdini. He is as flighty as the banty and wasn't in the coop last night. Might be roosting in a tree. Whatever. He was in the feeding gazebo later yesterday so he does know where the food is showing up. We'll see if he gets friendlier with the hens once Fabio has gone to the great chicken yard in the sky. Gertrude...the strangest hen...has found a way through the plastic sheeting around the frame of the new house and got herself stuck in there this morning. Cripes. Had to go open the door for her. I'll figure out how she's getting in there and get that sealed up I guess.

I had a bit of rain yesterday and today. While that messes with some of my garden chores, we really really needed it and we needed it to come in little bits. The ground was getting a crust on it. If it rains hard on that it doesn't soak in enough and we get worse floods and less water in the soil and more fires. Our snow pack is still good but ...scary year.

I'll check with some beadworkers and see if they want the ruff off Fabio. It is pretty fabulous. Tempting to make a super crazy hat! That ought to keep the trespassers on their toes! Batty lady wearing a rooster hide hat...with ear flaps, obviously. I know a navajo guy here who uses feathers so if no one else wants it, he might take some of the prettier feathers.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Love the chicken tales. I have no place to keep chickens so I have to live vicariously. :LOL:

But I hear you about needing good soaking rains, rather than a lot in a heavy downpour. We've been getting a lot of fire warnings this year because it's been so dry so far this year. (Except February which was snowy and cold enough to keep the snow on the ground for most of the month.)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
haha well he is well named. hopefully he is smart or will be some creatures dinner. still want chickens but dh doesn't but next year unless travelling cus kids want them so he is out voted lol just need to plan out the yard now.

don't know if it was that dog but no not treated well or wouldn't be on a short chain 24/7 you know some people they just put a dog in the yard and throw out food once a day and ignore them. not a life. one reason my mom calls her neighbour the ugly faced woman.. don't treat pets well and nag my mom about her yard you are out. she isn't that great of a person anyways but.. got a german shephard after broken into but ignored. then asked why it was so friendly to my parents etc mmm cus attention and treats etc. at least she didn't get another after that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Houdini was visible this morning. Only 20yards or so from the other chickens. I think he's warming up. He seems to like to hang in the trees like the bantys did when I first got them (only one banty left...one broke her leg and fled and one flew away probably in the claws of an eagle). He's hilarious looking with a small head, narrow comb and HUGE cheek poofs. Much much smaller than Fabio with thin legs. He does crow, but has a lower, mellower voice. We'll see how he does on his own here shortly. If he's crap, well...craigslist is full of free rooster.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Storm was chained out in the yd and ignored, except when he was being beaten. It still infuriates and sickens me, and breaks my heart to think about that. He's loud but he just needs attention, not to be left alone and crying, even if he is a drama queen. He's a sweet boy who didn't deserve the terrible things that happened to him. 🤬😢☹

Hope Houdini behaves and doesn't become a snack chicken.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yes it is so sad when animals aren't treated right. I can't watch those aspca commercials from the states. have had many adopted animals..if you don't have time for an animal just don't one. my mom has a bengal young cat that keeps coming around everyday ..not reported missing but and friendly ..tries to move in but my mom doesn't know if has a home or not. my mom is they are so expensive so why would someone let roam like that..said some want fancy $$ but don't want to take care of it. so she will trap it and let the shelter deal with it. She is down to one cat who doesn't want more in the house.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
It's all good now, as long as Husby doesn't pull his belt out of his pants in Storm's presence. He's a very loving boy. He knew Husby was The One the instant they met. He settled in like he owned the place and promptly grew 2" taller. He knew right away he was home.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well, Fabio went to the coop in the sky today. The actual kill didn't go well. Took 2 min. His neck was so tough we couldn't snap it and had trouble hitting the right spot with a knife. We all took a moment to apologize to him once he was gone. The rest of the stone blade butchering went really well. Using the garden hose to inflate the carcass before skinning really helps. The pelt is stretched now with borax on it. Cutting up the meat was interesting. Different locations of the cuts were better. We learned a lot and know better how to do the initial kill to minimize the stress on the animal. Fabio was so tough and I think that was a factor. Not like a hen or younger rooster

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
poor Fabio ..though story reminds me of that ripleys believe it or not headless chicken that lived for like 18mths after its head was chopped off.

·
Registered
366 Posts
THank goodness he didn't live! I've read that story. I don't think I'd let something live with just a brainstem. Even a critter. 2min isn't horrible compared to some folks I've seen who crowd the critters up and kill them in front of each other...traumatizing all of them. WHen a prey animal sees the head come off another animal they get very agitated. Not good for them and not good for the meat.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It is true. He ate by the owners putting mash in the throat hole. He still had a craw and the rest. The cut took MOST of his head off but not quite all.
From Wikipedia:

"It was determined that the axe had missed the jugular vein[7] and a clot had prevented Mike from bleeding to death. Although most of his head was severed, most of his brain stem and one ear were left on his body. Since basic functions (breathing, heart rate, etc.) as well as most of a chicken's reflex actions are controlled by the brain stem, Mike was able to remain quite healthy." View attachment 58432

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
That's gruesome. The story about the headless chicken, that is. Sorry it took Fabio so long to die.

I found a virtual spinning group. One of the projects I wanted to do during the shutdown was learn how to spin yarn. I've had a drop spindle for a while and taken a few 'classes' (of sorts, very basic). I also found some good roving that's both soft and easy enough to draft. But I kept procrastinating and tended to go back to just crocheting. Then I saw the online virtual 'meeting' in my Facebook events page and tried it this past week. Nice group of people. It's a 'spin-along' - sort of a virtual spinning 'bee'. I was able to get some questions answered. They have another virtual event on a different day of the week for a general crafting 'bee'. Gotta love how the pandemic (and technology) has caused a shift in getting things done. I don't think I would have even thought to have joined a virtual group or even if one would've been created if it weren't for the shutdown.

221 - 240 of 261 Posts