Frugal Village Forums banner

241 - 260 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well... more bad news in the coop. Suzanne has been in isolation for 2days. She had the soft egg break in her bum. I could tell one of the brown eggers was laying soft eggs that broke and then the other hens ate yhem. That's a bad habit to get going. So, she's been in the old coop. Finally laid today and it was a soft shell, bustrd open. Egg white all over. Darn it. She can't stay with the flock and get them all trained to eat their own eggs. Might be running a 2nd experiment with the stone tools... I will expand the outside area of the isolation coop for now. She can stay there for a bit

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Maggie, if you have a Facebook account, you can look up WAFA Spin-a-Long Zoom in the events section. They're on Thursday evenings. They have other fiber arts craft zoom meetings. Here's the website with a bit more information: Wool and Fiber Arts

Hopefully that's helpful to you.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Martha: sometimes. Yep. And she is a newer breed selected just for max egg production and docility. St 2.5yesrs old she is beyond usual lifespan for an egger. The are usually done away with at 1 or 1.5.

Ren: not on fb. Bummer.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
wow they don't have a long life. spinning sounds cool think the kids got drop spindles at some event and we have roving for felting etc. but downstairs w all the other stuff.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Maggie, definitely bummer on you not being on FB. Not sure if they have a way to get the zoom link to you another way. The meeting itself is on zoom. FB is just where we can grab the link to the meeting.

I've heard that most breeds generally have most of their eggs in the first three years.

Martha, spinning is fun, although it takes a bit of focus while learning. I've heard it can be really relaxing, to the point where it's a kind of meditation.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yes sounds like it..a museum near us has weaving looms antiques etc so did sheep to shawl events etc. but would be on the list when kids are gone lol

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well dang it!! I can't find Gertrude! She was saving up her shenanigans. The right size brown egg shows up in the coop but haven't seen beak nor feather of her in days! I think she appeared briefly one evening but I am not sure. It is possible she is gone and Suzanne started laying again or that Porky's eggs are smaller this year... she is 3 years old and that can be a thing. Cripes. Oh well.

I have 2 quotes for the 8 windows I need. 5000$ and 10,000$. Just the windows, not installed. 10k is a non starter. No money left to get them in the holes. I will try for a couple more bids and an install quote or two

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yep, looks like she's trying to sit eggs. My more experienced chicken friend said if the hen looks poofy when she does show up, and is never around for more than a few minutes, that's major signs of gone broody!
Cool. I had one try a few summers ago but either they never hatched or something got the eggs/chicks because no chicks showed up and the hen just moved back into the coop on her own one day. We shall see...as they say, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Yesterday, about 2 hours before a major work meeting (I even wore a necklace and a nice button down shirt...that is WAY formal for this part of Idaho) I got a text from the community garden lady that a hive had swarmed. My car was literally up on a rack getting an oil change. DANG IT. A friend said she'd give me a ride up, it's a few miles away. So, we went. I borrowed a veil, hat and gloves. And we did what we've done 2x before. The garden lady and I started moving the bees into a bin and pouring them into an open hive box with some frames. You have to get on it or they leave for the new permanent home as soon as a scout bee comes back with directions to a good new location..well, the swarm had gotten on a post up under a fruiting vine that was a tangled mess. I was reaching up under and brushing them down and the veil was laying on my face. NORMALLY swarms are supposed to be pretty docile. NOT this one. 4 stings in the chin in under a minute through the veil. Then one went up my jeans. Another took off after my friend who drove me up....many yards away!. I tried one more time to get the queen in the box because once she's in, you can just let the others move in on their own. Well, got stung again. We would have had to cut down the post and cut back the vine to get her. She was probably way up under the biggest ball of bees.

The chin stings didn't hurt really, but the swelling/puffy face started right away. I was in a socially distanced meeting room with fully vaccinated people but still wore my mask to cover the "mump" on my left jaw (who am I kidding? JOWL). As the afternoon progressed the swelling sort of drained down into my old-lady-neck-wattle and I looked like I had a mump AND a goiter. It was pretty funny.
I didn't have any benadryl at work but put cream on it when I got home, iced it at work, and took a benadryl before bed. That seems to keep the itching down for pretty much 12 hours. Today it is less. Looks like I have a small goiter on my neck and a wad of chew between the cheek and gum.

If we'd been able to get it, I would get a free bee colony. Alas, 2 hours later she texted that the swarm had moved on. And it did it through the parking lot. She ran ahead when she saw them start to group and go that way and got people in their cars or the building. The swarm PROBABLY wouldn't bother them, but they PROBABLY wouldn't sting me either.
Even just out in the "wild" is good. those are good healthy drones to mate with regional queens. And the queen who moved will have left behind a new daughter queen just about to emerge, the new one probably got out today. She'll have to mate and then start laying. Great local survivor bee genetics we hope! I think the hive was 3 years old so the existing queen was getting to the end of things.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Maggie - sorry you got stung and didn't get the hive in the end. A friend of mine spent some time working with bees and wasps in one of her jobs.

Another virtual spinning 'bee' (aka zoom meeting) this evening. I'm planning on going, provided I don't end up getting exhausted like I did last week. (Although that was due to just getting the second dose of the Covid vaccine a couple days before.)

·
Registered
366 Posts
SD the bee sting goiter is gone. Yay!
REN: wish I could join the 'bee'

As for the house, I think I have a workable bid on 2nd story windows. The rough openings are ready. First round of bids were 4500 to 10,000. Just the windows not shipping or install. There are zero available food contractors. So the one company that also installs and is recommended by my builder and my selling-realtor (who also runs and cleans the laundromat I use). They were the high bid. I said if they could get it down between 4 and 6k$ I would have $$ left for the install. All they did was change the exterior finish from wood to a grey vinyl and bingo! 5000$. Still double hung and still no e coating to mess up my passive solar gain. I need to review the details. I think the model is also harder to clean from the inside but I will learn to live with that. I also needn't to check on screens. They are not the default setting here but I insist on them. Even if I have to build them myself and take them on and off for summer/winter.

Actually...I wouldn't mind them as an add on as I could cover the vinyl Bit wit some wood framed screens

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Great news on the windows!

The spinning 'bee' was fun. Only had about 6 people on the zoom. Not sure if that's usual for it since it was only my second one. I mentioned the Frugal Village forums at one point as something the others might be interested in. We were talking about crafts and the like. I still think it's funny that when I mentioned spinning on another zoom call, they only thought of spinning as a form of exercise, rather than a craft skill.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That's funny!!"spinning" like a spin class? Last thing that would occur to me.

I am still trying to find the hen sitting on eggs. Hope they hatch soon and survive

241 - 260 of 261 Posts