Frugal Village Forums banner
281 - 300 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
We had our heat wave last week. Temps at or over 100 for 7 days in a row. Good for you, getting chickens out of that metal oven. That will be miserable for them or any animal.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
yikes metal henhouse! that can't be good most of the year. hopefully they get saved. I mean pets in cars under less heat suffer. glad you are finding out all the chicken secrets lol think they live to find new ways to hide the eggs from you.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The community garden chicken house is a shipping container. They cut out one whole end and made it chicken wire so it is ventilated and there are cut windows to vent, but it does get warm!
Couldn't get ahold of the lady but I will check on the remaining hens today and try to get ahold of the boss lady again.

The heat stress on everyone starts tomorrow with the over 100degs temps so hopefully we can finish sorting this out today. So far no hens are at my place, but I think a few are "farmed out" closer to the community garden. I'll be by there today and will take a couple of boxes in case I can pick them up.

I cooked up some crappy rice I had at work and diced up applew that were getting soft, froze those in bags and old food containers so I can bring 1 or 2 home a day and give the chickens a chilly treat later in the day during the heat wave...like chicken popsicles. Also, I needed to get ride of the lame rice. It's fine, but cooks up pasty. Chickens do NOT care.

This morning they got banana peels and a few over-ripe cherries. They were super excited. I ran in the house quick to grab something and didn't shut the doors. I turn around and Gertrude is standing IN the house! Jeez! Fortunately she hadn't pooped yet. She knew not to make a noise. It was less than a minute that my back was turned but still...no chickens in the house!

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's 99degs at my house. I am at work in real clothes...you know, not shorts and a "sport top" (that's my current name for a bra when I want to go outside and not put on a shirt...I don't have neighbors who can see me and if the people driving on the highway don't want to see old lady back fat, they should keep their eyes on the road). Anyway, it's so hot I am not sure I can get from the office to the car and if I did, would I want to go home? No A/C in the wee shed. Yesterday was HOT too. 100degs in the sleeping loft. So I'm sleeping on the floor. By morning I had it, with windows open and a fan in the window using up the battery power...down to 75degs. that was as low as I could get it. The thick wood walls have thermal mass and it is a real thing, apparently. I sat with my feet in the spring fed pool in my otherwise dry creek and stared at minnows for an hour. Then the hens and I sat around on the shady side of the shed until the sun went down below the hill to the west of me.

So far the garden is holding up. I tilled up a spot where either I forgot to plant potatoes, or they never came up, and put in some left over seeds...um...beets and arugula maybe?...covered it with a rag-bag t-shirt and soaked the area. I might have 5 red orache plants coming up and the corn is loving this weather as long as I water and water and water. I guess it's a lesson in planting a variety even if the stuff has always failed in the past. Corn never made it much at all before.

The hens have water all over and I filled my sled (yes, I sled in the winter despite my advanced years) with water just as an extra source. There must be a dozen old pots and pans and the sled out there now full of water. I don't want them to be too far from it ever. They spend chunks of hot days, like me, with their feet in the spring fed bit of the creek. It's shady there too. I probably got ticks.

I had left a clear plastic 5gallon jug of water in the sun to warm up for hair washing and showering yesterday during the heatwave. At 7pm it was TOO HOT to use for either! I just strung a sheet around a stepladder and hosed off. I think I was more or less shielded from the people driving on the highway, but at that point I stunk so bad I did not care.

Our heat warning just got extended through july 4. Good grief! I may melt! Or adapt. but probably melt. I like cold, not hot. It is about 5degs cooler outside in the morning, 4am, than inside so I'm tempted to go to my storage unit and get my tent even though that's an hour out of my way. If this is for another week or 10 days...or the whole summer, I might as well.

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
Is your house closed in? Besides not having windows. Can you pitch a screen tent in there and get some relief at night? I'm guessing the ventilation is better in the house than the shed. Stay safe. That kind of heat can kill people.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It's been in the upper 80s to mid-90s in my area the past couple of days. The humidity is making things worse. It's supposed to start cooling down Thursday into Friday, though. Hope the temps cool off in your areas, sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
499 Posts
the house is closed in with plastic so NOT more ventilated than the wee shed as the plastic isn't openable without wrecking it. It's to preserve the wood and structure rather than make a temp living space. so, I'm going with that. The tent I brought home from the storage unit last night worked GREAT!!!! So comfy (my usual mattress is a camping mattress so I just moved it outside...nearly needed hotpads to move it.)

Ren: I remember humidity. It barely cools off at night. I hate that. In the tent it got to the mid 60s last night, down 40 degs from the daytime high. I remember nights in Iowa as a kid where the LOW was in the 80s or 90s. I would sleep under a wet sheet with a fan blowing it into a tent. not sure if it was cooler, but keeping the operation going kept me busy while I couldn't sleep from the heat.

martha: This is a really unusual heatwave. A few days at a time is normal. This is nuts and dangerous. I just got notice that the thursday and friday afternoon farmers markets are canceled. TOO HOT. I wonder if the saturday 8-1pm market in Moscow Idaho will be canceled.... I had been selling mustards at the friday market and was worried that they wouldn't cancel. I can't stand outside at 100degs even in the shade. Not my weather.

Well...I called the place that sells my finish and put in a big order. About 1000$. i'm glad I called. I had been thinking 2000$ worth of stuff. BUT the dude, "Ziggy"...so cute. Maybe not a dude. Doesn't matter. They knew their stuff. Ziggy talked me into a cheaper option. How nice. It's all super high quality but knowing I was working with soft wood (pine) Ziggy said the concentrated oil rather than the 'original finish' (concentrated oil plus a thinner/drying agent) was the way to go. Very nice! I let them know that my cousin who works at "wholetrees.com" has been a major marketer for them. They should thank her...like by giving me some free stuff??? or not. The stuff is getting shipped to my builder because shipping to a commercial address is cheaper and it will be safer there. I can take it right to my storage unit and only bring home what I need as I need it.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Glad the tent worked out for you, Maggie. Yeah, it's been hot and humid (96* today) with the heat index around 105*. There are some light breezes but blech. I'm so glad I don't have to work outside in this, although I feel bad for the people who do. But the worst of it should be done later this evening. We're supposed to get thunderstorms in a few hours and then rain through tomorrow and maybe into Friday. (Saturday is forecast to be about 70*!)

I was talking to a couple of the fellow gardeners this past Saturday. One of the other gardeners saw a fox in the area, carrying something in its mouth. The fox got startled by the sight of a human, buried its prize in the woodchip pile by the garden, and took off. Turns the fox had caught a chicken. Apparently someone in the neighborhood had some chickens (one less now), which the township seems to allow. I had seen some chickens in someone's backyard but that was close to a local church that was a couple miles a way.

I knew there were foxes in the area (there's even a fox sighting FB page for the next town over). But I wasn't aware of people having chickens beside the people by the church.

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
Didn't realize the house was wrapped in plastic. Sounds like the tent is working well.

My mom's family is from Fort Dodge/Webster City area. I grew up just north of Iowa in southwest Minnesota. I remember those hot, sticky, miserable nights. My bedroom was under the eaves on the second floor, one window nowhere near the bed on the north side, so never a breeze. It was an oven.

Hope your weather breaks there soon, and it isn't headed our way.

·
Registered
499 Posts
ew all the hotness! ICK!!! Hiding at the office again for another hour. Though I end up snacking which is stupid because then I just feel hotter when I do leave. Oh well.
Indeed my chickens are not a fad! They are chickens...food on the talon.

When I got back last night my west window of the wee shed was cracked! Must have been the heat and sun on the double pane. It is the inside pane that cracked. It wasn't new when it went in. I googled and it said that happens in extreme weather. We're having that. Anyway, I will tape and/or glue it when the weather breaks. There are visible gaps around the window so I doubt it is worth replacing the window. Focused on getting the real house done.

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
Our local weather guy finally dropped the bomb I've been expecting. Your hot weather is supposed to arrive here Saturday. We've already had one bad heat wave, don't need another. We got an inch of rain here a few days ago but it's still too dry here.

One of our windows cracked last winter. Never had that happen before.

·
Registered
499 Posts
SD sorry to send this crap on!! Do you want me to send the tent too? It is better for sleeping. 104 inside the wee shed, windows open, at 7;30 when I finally came home. 80 outside. Temp dropping a bit and a decent breeze thank goodness.
If you could send that inch of rain our way we could use it. Not a drop in weeks.

So speaking of thrifty.... my sister and I were talking last night. She asked when I got the tent. It must be pushing 20 years! I remember it was on the extreme sale rack at Tri-State Outfitters in Moscow Idaho. I think it was about 50$ and I hated spending that much for something I would use 1 or 2 weeks a year. But that is now prorated at 1-2$ per use. Still on the original poles and though I have the original stakes I use giant nails instead. I am so picky with the tent that I have never let some one else pack it up even when it has been the guest house or loaned out. That is probably rude but if it gets packed damp or dirty it won't be any good when I try to use it the next time. I used to put camp dry on it but the last several years have been so dry I haven't had to. It would only leak in the rain.
I guess being nit picky paid off this time. If only I were so careful with my dishes! Most of my mugs have the handles broken off since I moved into the shed. I keep knocking them off the window sill and wood stove. Oh well. I get new mugs constantly

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Glad it is getting better for you Maggie! one thing I learned from guides no dirty or wet tents! Yes we had the same heatwave bubble that isn't normal either 100f at my house on monday like you. hotter in some places. Now the one that billed themselves hottest village cus the interior is hotter broke records for 3 days made international news.. 49c in the 120s cousin just texted me the newspaper just now for the next one. Bunch of wildfires started and now that place is evacuated due to wildfire houses gone etc happening now. others wildfires couldn't be controlled well cus helicopters engines having issues cus the heat. they think over a 100 senior passed cus of the heat. cus like you most don't have built in ac.

did the fox get its chicken back? it is a fad here too but rent a chicken is $900 for the chickens and pen for the summer too much! 4 chickens allowed here and ds said a few neighbours have them.

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
Thanks for the offer of the tent, but our AC works at night in the house, so that helps. We also have AC in the cabin and camper if we get desperate. I hope you get rain there. We need rain again too. We use the giant nails too. Those little wire things tents come with now are useless.

Our forecast is for mid 90s, record territory again. Hope the tourists have a little sense and don't set anything on fire.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
The chickens don't seem to be a fad to the one family I know has them. (They seem to take them seriously, with a fairly solid looking coop in the shade.) Not sure if anyone else has them and if they have them for fad reasons. Then again, my area tends to be a bit more progressive in some ways. Our farmer's market has been voted one of the best markets in the state (if not the top). The community garden almost always has a wait list. And there are other community gardens in nearby townships as well.

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
Not everyone with chickens is following a fad, but it's definitely a fad right now. LOL. There's so much stuff for chicken-keeping flooding the market now it's clearly becoming more popular all the time, like fads do. Wait five yrs and all the fancy coops and stuff will be out of the mainstream stores and back in the farm and ranch supply places where it all came from.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had a tiny thunder storm last night! Not even a 10th of an inch bit enuf to chill things down for a few min. And to start the odd fire.

We are all terrified about the weekend fireworks. No doubt will have some fires start. I am keeping the cistern full in case of shenanigans close by.

In other news, the wood finish got delivered to my builder already! Like under 48 hours from being ordered. It is made 1 state away but that is still pretty darn fast.

I have tomorrow and Monday off work so long sweaty hot weekend at home working on things.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Maggie, good luck getting all your work done this weekend.

SD - I'm sure there are some in my area who got chickens because they're the current fad. I just don't know how many people have them in my area, fad or not. But I think you're right - I think people will get over chickens relatively quickly, especially if the foxes get to them.

Not sure what's happening with the fireworks in my area this year. Although there are usually at least two shows in the area - one in a local park and the other near the local university campus. Both are usually near lakes and are run professionally. I haven't seen any small fireworks in my apartment complex for years, although one family (long since moved out) did have sparklers one year a couple years after I first moved into my apartment. Then again, with building fire in the complex back in April, I don't think anyone will want to mess with anything that may spark another fire. At least I hope not.

281 - 300 of 344 Posts