Frugal Village Forums banner
321 - 340 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
The 8th and final 2nd story window went in this morning! The dudes doing the siding re-configuration were not available (their company was moving a building today and that is an all hands on deck thing that can't be rescheduled) so still no trim around the windows. I noticed on the way to work, they were done by 8:30am, that I already left 1 window open! No rain today but must remember to close it tonight.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I am happy with the progress. Will start harassing the guys to get the trim up ASAP

In less happy news, a chicken croaked. Suzanne. She'd been around for a long time and as a new crossbreed for max egg production...3 years old was pushing it. She didn't want to come out of the coop for feed Thursday morning. Henrietta, the new broody hen, was in there cooing at Suz. Henri came out to eat but not Suz. When I got home from work Henri was in the coop cooing over the now deceased Suzanne. I got the remains on a scoop and put it by the creek so other critters could take care of it. Henrietta is an odd bird. She checks on everyone....chickens, chicks, and me... all day. She rotates from group to group. A real mother hen!

·
Registered
509 Posts
She was a good hen for a long time. R.I.P. Suzanne! I think Pearl is about to go. She's not looking chipper and her rearend is "pasted up" (poo not dropping off properly) and not keeping herself terribly clean. She's another oldster!

STill haven't found probably 2 dozen eggs now that should have been laid!

I had company this weekend who showed up with the coolest tent trailer ever

Turns out, also most expensive but so well engineered and handy. If I ever see a used one, I'm on it. It towed like nothing, set up in 20 min and had the right amount of space without being obnoxiously large or small. At 10,000$ for the base model..uh, no. NOt buying soon, but worth knowing it exists. They also use the trailer portion to move people and haul stuff. They call it their "retirement condo" because they spend a few months a year traveling between grown children's houses and camping along the way. Probably got their money's worth already.
They lived across the street from me 20 years ago in Iowa and brought something a mutual friend needed to get to me, but was too large to ship. Very nice of them. They drove the honda pilot towing this camper thingy right up the construction access road like it was nothing and set up. The Mr. is a woodworker and architect and appropriately complimented the house.

·
Super Moderator
20,127 Posts
Cool camper! Some of those ultralights are very innovative. Sylvan seems to be a quality company. Staff did some reviews for the magazine and they had nice stuff. We'll be keeping our Aliner though. It goes up and down in less than 1 minute, and we're so spoiled and lazy now we need our AC, furnace, fridge, and real beds. 😁 And there's no way we're trekking to the restroom in the middle of the night, either. 😳

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Cute little pop-up your friends have. I hope to get DH interested in one of those after retirement. If there's anything left out west to see.

Sorry to hear about the chickens. Hope you can find some new girls soon.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Love the liner!! I have wanted to see one of those in person.

As for chickens, I got 7 new ones a while back. 2 are layers and 5 are immature but at least one looks very hen-like. 2 are a bit roostery. The last 2 are indeterminate. I will have to get rid of any roosters some they are related to any hens in the batch. So, I do have enough. I SHOULD have 6 laying right now: flora, Gertrude, porky, pru, Henrietta and Helen (the last 2 are the new ones). I am finding only 2 or 3 eggs a day. Pretty sure those are Henrietta, flora and. Porky's. Once in a while I find pru's blue eggs. Now that it is cooler I can keep them in the coop a couple of mornings until they lay in there and try to get them trained to lay inside again

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sky Plant community Plant Wood Tree

More adventures in crapentry!! Making coop 4.0
Mix of reused/salvaged lumber and new. I have some trailer siding bits I hope will do the roof. Might buy a decent tarp for roof liner or cut up one I have that the wrong size for everything I tarp.
Hope to practice some cordwood on it.

·
Super Moderator
20,127 Posts
Is it dry where you live, Maggie? I've read cordwood doesn't do well in damp climates. Probably why it never caught on here. We gave it serious consideration for our lake property but it didn't seem feasible in the end. I always loved those walls made with the wine bottles embedded through them.

The coop is looking good so far! Gotta love salvaged materials.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Some of the lumber was pulled out of the edge of a lake after a truck lost a load last summer. Given that it is truly my first nonpallet structure...I am pleased with how squarish it is.
One hen will not be enjoying the new abode...Pearl, an elderly leghorn, passed away last night. She had been dying actively for a week, but seemed comfortable so I made sure she had access to food and water and left her to it. The other chickens didn't bother her either. She was a consistent layer until a couple month ago. Her contributions to the world are appreciated.

321 - 340 of 351 Posts