Frugal Village Forums banner
341 - 358 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Waiting on the builder made a 4 day weekend for me so I worked on the garden and coop 4.0. Coop roof is truly craptastic but based on metal I had laying around from my scavenging habit. I did buy a couple of large pieces, 20$, from my builder's salvage yard but that was mostly to suck up to his wife and get him back on my job. About 130$ on wood for the base and floor and 20$ for screws. Bit more on some brackets etc. maybe 250$ when I add in Moscow things and bandaids for cuts and gas for trips to town for suppliesThose are not remotely used up and will last several projects.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My pile of "supplies" or "garbage" as the friends call it, is much smaller! Hauled a few choice pallets and some scrap plywood over to the coop area last night so I could figure out the interior wall and door. Also think i can scab together false walls of pallets that set the occupants back from the outside wall. I can cordwood with the hens in there...in theory!.
It was windy last night so first test on the roof.

·
Registered
548 Posts
They better not. Took the day off work to work (hmmmm) on the coop
Wood Shade Beam Sky Ladder

It is going pretty well! 3 mini pallets that come with my sawdust logs plus a few scraps of my new house siding made a nifty 4 berth nesting box unit. I have pallets and wire in it so I can cordwood the outside walls without moving the chickens out. 2 pieces of green house plastic are now on it, since the pic, so most of the tall wall is covered. Also got the inside door between the storage and chicken areas done. Using up so much stuff that I have gathered free is fun.
I am getting low on screws...since I like to take things apart and reuse material I use cheap screws. Half the ones going in are used but still running low.

I have only driven one screw into my hand so it is going better than usual for me.

I will two more pics as I put up the milk slabs. The hens will have a faux log cabin looking house here shortly.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have 10 I think. Hard to count in my head. 2 are roosters headed to freezer camp. So I will have 8, 7 hens and 1 rooster, in there for winter. They made it thru a few winters in pallet vmbased coops. They don't lay much but that's ok. I reused some construction plastic to enclose the sides until I can get wood or metal up there and to block a bit more wind. Added 1' of roost space per occupant. So, it is good enough. Advice is to move them at night, and keep them in for a day or two. Also dismantle the old coop so they can't move in. I need parts of that coop for this one any way. It doing that tonight tho!! It is raining with wind gusts over 30mph. I can get more wood for the tops of the walls I think. And will probably cut the ends off the slabs on that wonky wall. I picked up some bedding for it today. The way it is set up I can do some refining on the interior after they are moved in.

I didn't get pics taken today but maybe later this week if there is a break in the rain.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Got 2 coats of oil on all the siding of the future house! Wrecked the backpack pump sprayer so did hours by hand. My shoulder will be stove up tomorrow but it is done. Can do posts if I have a break in weather.

Chickens are loving the new coop. I moved them in at 2am last Sunday and kept them in 3 days. They put themselves in for the night by 4pm. Down to 8 chickens. The 2 young roosters went with me to a butchering event. We did 60 chickens last Sunday. Ducks still need doing but the crew was exhausted after the chickens.

Still need to clean my stove pipe!! Weather should be ok for that Sunday.

Tomorrow is wind and rain so I will do laundry and errands in town. I haven't washed my butchering clothes yet and times are they bad!! I drove home from the day carefully because getting pulled over in the bloody clothes with several knives on me and a shovel in the back of the truck...it seemed incriminating.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
The 2 young roosters went with me to a butchering event. We did 60 chickens last Sunday. Ducks still need doing but the crew was exhausted after the chickens.
I'm almost afraid to ask. What's a "butchering event" like? I mean, obviously you're butchering chickens, but is it strictly business, or social? Where is something like this held? Do you bring your own tools or is stuff provided? How many people show up? Are coffee and snacks provided? Who cleans up after?

Reactions: marthamfi
341 - 358 of 358 Posts