Frugal Village Forums banner
361 - 376 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
And it continues!!
Here are before and after pictures of the FIRST time I dug the car out yesterday. we were expecting a foot or more of new snow, then rain. I thought it best to dig it out BEFORE it rained. That meant digging it out twice.
You can see my progress because I was able to take off my snow shoes and put them on the hood, and just dig in my knee high insulated rubber boots. 2 sessions of about an hour each got the driveway cleared almost to pavement/gravel.

I also had to get snow off the chicken coop roof before the rain made it so heavy that it crushed the roof. I bought a roof rake a few years back that I only just now needed to open up...parts were missing!! the braces that keep the head from waggling all over and ALL the bolts. They gave me nuts, no bolts. What the heck? Anyway, there is a parts list but the rain was coming. I couldn't find my baling wire...had to use twine and a bit of duct tape. Got me through this time.

I was home from work. The office ended up closing at 1:30 to let people try to get home...probably safer if no one had driven in in the first place. I let my boss know a day ahead I would be home

Sky Snow Mountain Tree Slope
Land vehicle Snow Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
From where I'm sitting it looks beautiful. Reminds me of the winters of my childhood. I didn't have to drive in it then and I don't now. I hop the spring melt doesn't cause flooding or landslides.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Floods and landslides are the norm here in spring. Clay soils denuded of the cedar forests that used to cover them don't take up much water. We are hoping the snow in the mountains melts slowly as that keeps our remaining trees from burning up in wildfires.

Glad I have a job and boss that will be flexible on hours!!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I hear you ..we got our flood and landslides already ..big ones well think it made the news all over lol all the highways in and out of the province nailed at once but we always get some fall and spring. but lack of water isn't a thing here. lots of rain. yes nice to have a good boss.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Martha: sorry about the floods and landslides!! It looks like we will thaw during the day in low elevations and refreeze at night. It is our best weather. For avoiding floods and keeping snow in the mountains. Rain on the mountain snow is the worst for floods.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I finally cleaned my stove pipe cap! The spark arrester thingy gets clogged up and then the failure won't draft well. I bought a 'sooteater' with Xmas $$ and man... the amount of build up that rained down!! The gadget is a drill powered chimney brush. Like a 'weed eater' on a long stick. 70$.

I had some money left over and next on the list was a little self powere fan that sits on the wood stove and blows the heat around. Also works great!

The chickens are enjoying the bits of fresh air with the warmer days thonthe deep snow keeps them limited to the spot I dug out for them. And they are eating like pigs!!! NO foraging plus chilly nights I guess. Or perhaps just because it is there??

Still snowshoeing to the car parked down by the road. The snow has crusted over but trying to walk in boots I slide on the ice until one leg pokes through and I bark my shin on the crust. snowshoeing is just easier and a bit of fun to start the day.

It got up to 50 in my tiny greenhouse today!! I keep hoping the radish seeds I put in there in december will grow. Just an experiment. So far nope.

·
Registered
655 Posts
"former lake"? Like recently or in the ice age?

The thaw continues. I COULD post-hole walk punching through the snow now, BUT the ice on top of and sometimes below the snow is a booger so I am wearing my snow shoes just for the crampon action. Better traction. I don't think yaktrax would cut it in the 1' of snow still on the ground. The old snow shoe trails, because the snow is more packed down, are now high spots and hard to walk on. Better to boot up, snow-shoe-up and create a new trail pretty much each morning. I think by the end of the weekend I will be back down to just knee high rubber boots! The excitement.

When I stopped at goodwill yesterday I noticed that every single customer was wearing knee high rubber boots...cheap, expensive, fancy, wornout, new...all versions, but tall and waterproof.

The chickens have enough space, and it is warm enough that I am back to watering them outside. This cuts down on one trip into the poop-zone inside the coop. They also started eating more of the calcium supplement oyster shells so they are getting my hopes up that maybe another will start laying eggs in the next few weeks.
The thrifted solar xmas lights I found are working well as cheapo coop lighting. It does tend to make the whole thing glow at 4am when I turn the lights on because the whole south wall including the door is sided with old greenhouse plastic. No other lights on the property. People on the highway just this crazy patchwork glowing shed thing with patchwork metal roof and oddly long bits of siding. The siding is temporary and with the lack of available lumber here, I didn't want to cut boards shorter just to fit over there for a few months until I get the real walls up! Anyway, either they think "typical idaho" or "when did the clampets move in??"

Re-upped my building permit for another 6 months yesterday. Asked the inspector (also the boss of the dept) about a change I want to make. He said he will meditate on it. I will continue to bug him until I win...per usual.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Very cool info Martha. Thanks.

Having a great sunny day here so off to try to get ahead on chores. Did mending this morning while it was cold out and now have 2 more long sleeve t shirts back in the wearable pile and maybe a pair of sox to wear as slippers...they are more darn than original now but still sock shaped. Also fixed a nice draw strong bag I use for toting tools and nails when I am trying to do stuff. It came with a pair if "earth" brand sandals over 20 years ago....sandals that are on my feet right now keeping my slipper sox from picking up saw dust and slivers from woodstove debris around the shed. No amount of sweeping seems to keep that stuff at bay

361 - 376 of 376 Posts