Frugal Village Forums banner
401 - 420 of 438 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
you are welcome! It is grim. Still no raccoon in the trap, but weasel poo up by the main coop...yikes! I guess I better start trapping up there too. Weasels are skilled killers.
Anyway, I managed to cough up a quantity estimate this morning for the amount of wood for my 1st story cordwood walls. I've been mulling it over for too long and dodging calls from the builder. Not sure that is what he wanted as he leaves no messages, but he's the one with the material I want to buy. I proposed a price and showed my math, since it is probably wrong, but there you go. Somewhere to start. I will be in their town saturday to try to get a price locked in and put a down payment on it. YIKES! Means I have to actually DO the work.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Looks like the wood for the walls will be under 2000...waiting on a final number but I think we got that as a cap and I can live with it.
Then, I was working the polls yesterday and turns out my builders were in the precinct I was working, and their daughter had been in a high school club with a co-poll-worker. I think that made Mr and Mrs Builderman happy to see us there. We disagree politically but there was mutual appreciation and shared goal all around. Nice. They left happy, for a sad trip. Mrs Builder's mom passed away a while back and now a brother. They are off to deal with that....and sell a load of blue pine lumber he just cut. I mean, you don't want to "waste" the trip??? Anyway, I had shown my coworkers a picture of the house and we all agreed the daughter is great so a nice interaction.
The builder is bringing someone to see my new house so he can try similar things on her place which also makes him happy.

When I did get home late last night, 5 eggs! 5 of the 6 layers are super reliable and the 6th well....is that "taps" I hear playing in the distance??
I made plans with a friend to hit the St. Regis flea market in MT on May 28th. The friend found me 1/2 a block and tackle set for 10$ at a previous flea market and she gets deals to resell...packs her lunch and extra clothes to account for the weather changes through the day and then heads home in time for evening chores. It will be a long day on the road, but fun, we'll split gas money and perhaps get a deal or two. She invited me to sleep on the couch the night before to help cut down on my day the 28th since my place is an hour drive (though not that far as the crow flies...) from her place. She's also my egg bnb so I could bring the chickens who will be staying there for a bit in early June and save that trip...with the price of gas, any time NOT on the road or sharing a ride is good right now!!
A financial triumph this week...the SEVENTH call to ATT finally got the over charge for wifi that hasn't worked and has been canceled for OVER A MONTH off the bill and a credit for the overage applied. Good lord. That took too much effort. Back to 50$/month for my crap flip phone...the savings will help with fuel costs. Of course, I got a notice that the basic crappy plan I have will be 56$/month starting next month, but that is an across the board increase they say. I will call on that separately.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Been at a work training then a conference in Santa Fe for a couple of weeks and no home WiFi before that. Bogarting free WiFi at an airport now.

I spent less than my perform almost every day and 2 days on the trip were no spends! Woohoo! Small profit maybe? My employer doesn't require food receipts so if we're under budget on food we keep the difference. I got a condo rental rather than a hotel room for the conference so that helped. Bought eggs etc for breakfasts and ate restaurant left overs for some meals. Eating at the room everyday would cost even less but is is Santa fe! The food is amazeballs and o love food.

I bought beans and dry posole as souvenirs and gifts...which the tea lady had to inspect and bomb residue. All passed and o will. E eating well for a while.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I got home...to THIS:
Water Sky Plant Cloud Tree

It wasn't super deep over the culvert/driveway, but it was SUPER FAST and some debris in it. So, I phoned friends a bit south. Headed to their house hoping for a bed and a washing machine. They have both. I chatted a while then asked if I could take laundry (I had 1 pair of clean undies and 1pair of clean sox left in my travel bag). I went down without turning lights on because the window light seemed like enough. THEN ....SPLASH! Their basement had a half inch of water on the floor. I turned around, went up and they closed the door. Nothing to be done about it then.
I begged a clean t-shirt and wore my 10day old jeans to work with apologies! I did get a shower at the gym on the way in and followed their NO FLUSH rule until they could check the sewer line to see if it was full of water. That happens sometimes in the clay soils here that don't drain. No poop water ended up in the basement. It was drying the next morning and my driveway was not underwater when I drove by in the morning. I went home after work yesterday and walked up in my rubber boots...basic springtime footwear here but it is a tad late to still be in them!

My gardens are a HOT MESS!! Must have gotten 4" of rain in the two weeks I was gone based on buckets that were empty when I left. That is a massive amount here. The raised beds seem OK but the inground gardens, yikes! Some beans, potatoes, garlic and horse radish seem fine. The rhubarb seems delighted. I wasn't able to plant anything else because of cold and wet before I left and now it will be another week IF I can get in to pull the ENORMOUS weeds. Hopefully some of them are pigweed (amaranth) which I will just leave and use for greens and grain.

Having just come from New Mexico where they are in the worst drought, I'm grateful for the water.

I booked a couple extra nights for the hens at the egg bnb. I will pick them up this afternoon if the road to my friend's farm is open...it runs along a creek and she hasn't been to town in a week so doesn't know if it washed out. She sees people going up and down it so probably open (unlike several highways here that are falling down!)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Thanks Maggie, good reminder to keep up w/ laundry. Something we don't think about often until there's a problem (like no power for a week). Lucky the chickens were elsewhere.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Glad to see the flooding was only an inconvenience and not serious, and you had someplace to go for the night. Hope your garden recovers after a few days of dry weather.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
844 Posts
I had clean clothes up at the shed! Just not with me after 2 week trip. Glad the water went away over night. THe creek is still high, but IN the banks and I ahve been home a couple of nights now.
Got most of the chickens home yesterday. Two (Gertrude and Beatrice) FLED the coop as we were catching them at the egg bnb (my friend's spare coop),. They probably went back in at night and I will see her Friday and Saturday.
Only Gertrude is a good layer. Beatrice was scheduled for the stew pot and I'd like to get her, but if she doesn't go in at night up there, she wont' last long.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hopefully Gertrude will be out of the hospital tomorrow!!! I see the chicken nurse tomorrow at the farmers market. If Gert is well enough (like not bloody and won't be pecked by the other hens) she can come home. The ones who did come home...4 darn layers... are still just giving me one egg a day. Cripes. I don't expect an egg out of the rooster but the others are on notice.

My side gig, selling home made mustard, at the farmers market may get shut down tomorrow too. The health inspector showed up last week and mustard isn't on the "yes" or the "no" list for the state's cottage food law. It IS on the federal "not time/temp controlled safety" food list so I printed that out with the reference to take with me (I will forget it...)
The market manager has an anger management issue and flamed the inspector, filed complaints and said things that can't be unsaid on facebook...so...that was NOT a great way to go and we could all be punished. Bummer as I just saw that the commercial mustard supply is dwindling.

·
Registered
844 Posts
WOOHOO! Getting my oxeye daisies mown yesterday and today. They are designated a noxious weed here so I pay to get them mown rather than have the county fly over me with round oup. Pretty sure the kid (actual teenager) mowing was judging my garden and chicken coop. Both are just sad looking but oh well.
I paid more this year to try to offset some of the inflation especially fuel.

·
Registered
844 Posts
He's a nice kid. Hard worker. I was probably just projecting.

I thought I got rid of the hen laying tiny no-yolk eggs but alas...I am getting them again! The wrong hen stared at the egg b-n-b!!! Oops.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The tiny greenhouse has radishes, lettuce, kale and MAYBE basil sprouting. I left some lambs quaters in there too and am eating them as greens. I think 3 garlics are in there...must have dropped bulbs at some point.

In the fenced raised bed the good king henry (perrenial greens) is doing great, as are the walking onions and hops. The chocolate mint not so well. Dames rocket is fine but moved to an awkward spot on its own. The lower garden has strawberries for the deer and gophers again. They never let me have one. The big garden got a fresh planting of old carrot and turnip seeds in a spot I managed to clear out. The potatoes look ok. New horse radish patch is coming along. May harvest next year, part of it. The 2 rhubarbs are doing better than last year and the lovage is OK but oddly short. It was 4' last year, 2' this year?? More manure? Less? Plenty of leaves though and they are tastier than the stems. Need to remember to do a better job drying those all summer for winter soups.
The beans are ok looking, not in flower yet because of the crazy crazy late spring frosts. 4 or maybe 5 corn plants are not dead yet but 8" tall max. And only a few squash from many many seeds came up. Don't know what that is about.
2 orach came up. Well, 3, but 1 got "weeded" over the weekend. oops!

I'm trying to eat more wild greens too like nettles, dandelion leaves, lambs quarters (those are doing really well in the big garden so I am telling people it is my amaranth crop...not technically a lie)

The thyme and sage plants that did great for YEARS croaked in the spring rains this year. Also one blueberry just gave up. May have lost a honey berry too. BUT 3 gooseberries, 2 black berries, and a couple of raspberry plants I hadn't seen signs of in years came back.

Plants are as strange as chickens.

401 - 420 of 438 Posts