Frugal Village Forums banner
441 - 460 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
I am beyond jealous!!
I am putting my apple picker in the car and going for roadside apple trees this fall. Getting none at my place. Oh well. Every year is different

I cleaned the chicken coop this morning and am inside on a break. I took my poop shoes off but still smell chicken crap! Once I finish my water I guess I better figure out what is up.

Then it is off grid laundry. A good job for a hot day since I get to play in buckets of cold water. I am pretty sure it gets mud/soil out my chore clothes better than machine washing. Same with sweat residue. Anything greasy though like sunscreen residue, not so good.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
Good luck with your apple hunt.

No apples here, either, not a single one. Not surprising since our spring was so variable and then we had wind that blew the blossoms off the trees.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Cool!! What's the name of the brand/company that makes that picker? I would definitely consider it for the tree by the community garden. Plus there's a local orchard that has a pick-your-own section where that might be useful. I think they have the 'dwarf' varieties of trees but some would still be out of my reach.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
Just did a fast and dirty search of Menards, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowe's, and Amazon. It looks like Amazon has the best prices, some as low as about $25 and you don't even have to leave home to get it!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I love mine...with that and a bucket and some patience I get lots of free fruit. Paid for itself in a week or two. You can often find just the basket bit cheap and add whatever old tool handle you ahve lying around but I went ahead and got it with the handle and the 2nd portion...20' of picking reach without a ladder.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Thanks, folks. I think I'll take a look for a place that has both. Don't have an old tool handle lying around, between living in an apartment and the recent purge of said apartment. I do know of a couple apple trees I could get to, although I'm not sure about the gleaning laws/rules in my area just yet for the ones not at the local community garden.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Off to pick up the log splitter to prep material for the walls.
The contractors and carpenters I've contacted to help lay the basecourse of concrete block and cut timbers have all ghosted me. Dammit! But, that means walls are probably not a thing until next year so now I will just focus on what CAN happen and try to book someone to do that later in the fall or into winter. I can't do the walls when it is freezing overnight because it could wreck the cob mortar.

Anyway, have 200+ 16"long cedar rounds to split, a splitter rented, and a friend of a friend recruited to help. Rented the splitter for the week for 211$ (we'll see final cost...is it like renting a car where they tack on crap?) and we'll spent 3 or 4 days at my place, then tow it to their place and do as much of their winter wood split as we can for the rest of the week.

Here's hoping all that working out has my shoulders and back in good enough shape!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Got all the wood for the walls split!! With help and a power splitter. It was over 100degs when we split the last one. Then, rested, had water, hooked up the splitter and towed it to their house. Friday we start on heir winter wood stock.

The contractor showed up to start an estimate. I know her and like her. So probably she wins. Stopped at my builder's too. Checked on how my wood order was coming...he had forgotten it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Vexed: rental of the splitter for 24hrs was 66$.! It is due the same time I rented it, though I went for a whole week. If you rent at noon you can do a few hours one day and a few the next. I did a full cord in 1 hour yesterday including set up, but not stacking, with a friend setting the logs near me but only me on the machine. Pretty fast. 1 gallon of gas seemed to get through 4-5 cords. I am in medium physical shape for a chick in her 50s.

Today...I clear the porch area for my energy logs. The ones I will actually burn and not build with! Tuesday the splitter goes back and I pick up the 'north idaho energy logs'. I MIGHT go with a half ton this year since we expect a warmer winter and I have some left from last winter as well as lots of construction scrap. Usually get a ton. Equal to a few cords of wood but stores in 4'x4'x4' space...half cord of space. Also not buggy, burns clean, and easy to regulate the rate and temp of burn.

441 - 460 of 468 Posts