Frugal Village Forums banner
461 - 468 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Vexed: rental of the splitter for 24hrs was 66$.! It is due the same time I rented it, though I went for a whole week. If you rent at noon you can do a few hours one day and a few the next. I did a full cord in 1 hour yesterday including set up, but not stacking, with a friend setting the logs near me but only me on the machine. Pretty fast. 1 gallon of gas seemed to get through 4-5 cords. I am in medium physical shape for a chick in her 50s.

Today...I clear the porch area for my energy logs. The ones I will actually burn and not build with! Tuesday the splitter goes back and I pick up the 'north idaho energy logs'. I MIGHT go with a half ton this year since we expect a warmer winter and I have some left from last winter as well as lots of construction scrap. Usually get a ton. Equal to a few cords of wood but stores in 4'x4'x4' space...half cord of space. Also not buggy, burns clean, and easy to regulate the rate and temp of burn.
OK, that is really good to know!!! I am going to put a bug in my husband's ear, I couldn't find prices for a rental place by us but we live in a big area, I am sure there is competition for rental equipment, and a high demand for splitters, so surely...! Thank you!! @MaggieTru

·
Registered
881 Posts
Still no sand. CRIPES!!! I am using precious flip phone data to whine about it but I don't want to bite the git's head off if/when he finally shows up. I have been trying to stress eat but I don't have any junk food at home and don't dare leave in case the sand comes....foiled by my thrifty pantry shopping!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Martha: Here's hoping!
Ordered wood for the window and door rough opening framing and met with the contractor who will do that. She lives not too far from me and has a concrete guy and a framing guy.
They are working on the bid.
Went to my previous contractor (who is too busy to do this phase, and not really his preferred type of job...though it's killing him NOT to be on the job. he loves my house and hates to pass on this part. I'm kind of relieved though as he has lots of ideas that are not what I really want. He doesn't have crew that works many sundays and he works EVERY day. So, his sundays plus his saw mill...I ordered some rough cut lumber for the door/window framing and he's actually pretty excited to be able to do it. I asked that he bits that will be the bottom of the window openings be live-edge so they will also be the final sill.

The walls being 16" thick, with windows set to the OUTSIDE of the wall, leaves about 13" of depth on the inside. Upstairs the walls are "only" 8" thick. And I wish I'd thought of this then!

The framing contractor and her crew were out on Sunday morning to see the job, and the guys (the boss is a lady) were properly impressed with the house so far. The framer suggested that rather than trim out the windows in the usual way, I get 1" thick live edge boards 2-4" wide and use those inside the rough opening up against the installed windows to hide the flanges and shims and what not that is used to fit them in, and NOT try to trim it out to the wall like one would on a normal wall. I love it! it will look great, tie in to the live edge walls on the kitchen, bath and entry, and be easier.
It ups the price of the rough opening wood on the first story to use wood that will be exposed when the house is finished, BUT it means I'm not buying another set of lumber for the finished windows and trim. And I gain quite a bit of seating.

I didn't even ask about the price of the wood. It is what it is and clearly I'm not using anyone else. I did learn last time that if I pick up on Sunday and the wife/boss isn't there with my checkbook at the ready, the builder gives me a price and forgets the 7% sales tax...so, that's actually a reasonable savings when spending a few thousand at a shot! He told me that means the wood is a gift and he's only charging for the labor to cut it (no sales tax on labor). Funny.

OK, I need to do job stuff now so I can pay for that "labor" on the next set of gift lumber.

461 - 468 of 468 Posts