Frugal Village Forums banner

141 - 160 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
HA!!! I was right. The windows were too low. The builder just called and said he forgot the 6" flashing between window framing and the porch roofing. He moved them up 7.5" so now they meet code. Easier for everyone and he still had room for the upper windows. It's rare that I'm right about anything spatial or 3D so this is a real coup for me. I bet his crew is glad I asked about it when ONE window box needed to be moved rather than all 6 that would be at that height. Very nice to have them high enough not to need guards or anything. And still a great view.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I red page 10 and decided I needed to start at page 1 so that is what I have been doing this evening....exciting to see it all come together.....How big is it? Is that the road in the background? It is going to be beautiful....can't wait till you get it finished....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks Peg.
The size: About 800sq feet inside including the loft and nearly that much porch will go on outside.

That's a highway in the background. 25 miles north on it to work

·
Registered
243 Posts
Excited and broke! The subaru died. The 1999 chevy pickup is now the "good car" and my daily driver. I sold some vacation time back to my employer and got 2000$ toward a new used car...BUT the truck's brakes are bad, even the calipers are broken on the back. So that's a 650$ repair. The starter is bad. Another 300+$. there goes half the car money. Oh well. I think I can scrabble together 5000$ and hopefully get a sedan with enough clearance to get in my driveway. GLAD I have 2 vehicles or I'd be in crisis.

It's SO COOL to drive home and see my house coming together. It's not entirely how I pictured it but I doubt anything is ever how I picture it.
HEre's the "before and after" shot I took saturday or sunday. It's my current wee shed and the new house. The wee shed will be moved (it's on skids).
Yes, there is junk everywhere but I generally get aoround to using it eventually. The boards leaning up on the raised bed, off to the right, are nearly used up making scrap wood bins now.

IMG_0686[1].jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
yes. I like my views a lot. A friend has a lead on a 2500$ 1999 subaru...risky but cheap. Her husband is kind of a mechanic.
I just used my vacation time pay out (sold 80 hours to the employer...we can do that once a financial year) to buy the clerestory windows! They should get in on Dec 23. That means the builder can put them in before he puts in the diagonal bracing that will make it really hard to get to them. Also will block part of their opening range but whatever. EXCELLENT venting.

2 guys worked saturday putting up board and batten siding. Super cool lookin. Here is the north and east walls. North is the short wall. The east siding will come down to the level of the north wall siding. The porch roof attaches at the bottom of the current east siding.. Separate siding below that where the black is. The picture will probably be rotated...don't know how to deal with that.
IMG_0701[1].jpg

And the west wall. They are covering the windows with plastic, the ones I can't afford to fill with actual windows now. It will make it easier to put in the real windows and will give me some light while I'm in there sanding over the winter and spring.
IMG_0696[1].jpg

Here are some of the latest silly questions:
From a friend who IS smart.... "I saw your place from the highway. What goes in below the house"....uh....the first floor. She forgot that I am doing the 1st story walls and though I had some sort of hovering house on stilts. In her defense, her husband is from Samoa where houses are sometimes on stilts to cool them off and keep them dry.

My elderly uncle who is "on the spectrum" as they say and is a retired programmer for IBM. He is one of my FAVORITE humans because of his genius and unique view of the world:
"now, in the pictures, there is a large slanted structure...what is that" "That's the roof Uncle J" OK, and below that, the roof, there are vertical structures...what are those?" "Those are walls Uncle J". "So that's how that works" (yes...houses generally have the roofs above the walls. He is a genius for real, but so disconnected from the physical world) Trust me, the question is not an issue of dementia. It is classic Uncle J.

·
Registered
243 Posts
More progress!! Porch roof framed up. Some roof metal went up today on a the front over hang. I brought the guys Christmas treats yesterday.

They are really working but seem proud of the job. My game camera taking time lapse photos was killed in a tragic gusty wind incident. Oh well. Things happen.

I love how it is coming along.

170D4507-A49D-4A54-BB8D-F449C5C04760_1608866062314.jpeg 9338F0AC-4BF3-4CCD-82BE-EA87533C0968_1608866037695.jpg 170D4507-A49D-4A54-BB8D-F449C5C04760_1608866062314.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
It's going to be a wonderful home.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I asked the builder and crew to sign it.. the builder thought middle of the big beam in the living room.....oh....no. I suggested the beam in the entry way so people see it when they come in. and so I don't look at it all day every day

The main roof got started today! In freezing fog. A metal roof. Poor guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a roof!!!!! !!!!! The builder knocked on the door of my shed to have me come see it after they put in the last screw. Cool. Metal.

I could have waited til Jan 6th for the right length metal to arrive but ok'd him cutting a bit of extra porch roof metal into 5 bits 10" wide that made the roof complete. It is still weather tight. There is 1 strip bottom to top of the roof with 5 panels, the rest is 2 panels. It is going to start snowing again tonight so I thought I would rather have a complete roof and the crew safely off of it than to have a perfectly matching set of roof panels.

Here is the crew working on icy metal

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
exciting and exhausting. Today I got many inches of snow. 8? 10? so the guys took a break. I needed the break from having people here. I'm an extreme introvert so it does exhaust me having them here all the time even if I"m in my wee shed with the curtains drawn. Worked from home for part of the day and just relaxed most of the day (honestly, still wearing my jammie pants I put on last night! oh well. good to chill with some youtubes and a zoom with a friend). Work sent us home with pay until Jan 4. I went in MOnday to make sure federal grant reporting was submitted. It was. STILL got emails (at the wee shed) today saying stuff was late. Uh....NO it's not. They allowed 2 ways to submit this year and one way is auto-emailing me it's late. I used the other method. Anyway, I backed it all up with an email chain cc'd to everyone at the agency I could think of. The people I submit to are also out of the office in DC due to the 'rona.

Anyway....having a day to think through the house build and the budget and RELAX was super nice. I went out to let the chickens out and feed and water them. And just now to close them up for the night. They aren't coming out anymore with this much snow on the ground. Got 1 more egg. Someone is laying daily. probably the young one. With 9 in the coop and all the snow on the roof, almost no wind, they are quite cozy. It's 32 degrees out, not super cold. I'm glad I built the chickens their little feeding/drinking shelter. I'll shovel the 3' between the coop and the feeding shelter in the morning so they can poop out there a bit and give the coop a rest. I should probably make a start on shoveling the driveway too. I think the pick up can make it out in 4wheel drive, but I won't bother until I run out of clothes and have to go to the laundromat. Still good to cut the berm the plows have made before it thaws and freezes too much. THat's always the worst bit.

The snow is BEAUTIFUL and makes the world so quiet. I've barely heard the highway traffic today. There has been a bit. I've only noticed the snow plows and one "megaload" of giant windmill bits going by. Kind of cool.

Glad I had the guys finish the roof yesterday rather than wait for the perfect matching metal. Nice to see all the snow up there NOT making the structure wet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A few photos of the progress. Most of the big stuff is done so these may not be as startling as some of the past pics

3 sides of the porch are roofed
Brackets pinning posts and beams together are partly installed
Braces on the loft peak are in. Clerestory windows are about in...but 1 arrived broken so I will pull it out and replace with the good one if it ever gets here

Attachments

141 - 160 of 169 Posts