Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband's car I think has finally seen the end. In order for his car to start it now takes 2 people one to bang the fuel tank and the other to start the car. The problem is we only have $3000 saved for a car and we honestly can't get him a junk car. He works 2 jobs one of which gets done at 2am. We can't risk his car breaking down at 2am and him being stuck. Before anyone asks his car isn't worth fixing. He has no heat, electrical problems, horrible gas mileage, and now the fuel pump problem. He has a lot of interested people in the car because it is a drifter car and could possibly get $800 for the car. We were thinking of getting him a scooter but I don't know if I want to buy something that he can't drive everyday. We thought about public transportation but with 2 jobs I don't see how that is possible. We can't afford a car payment due to me being laid off and being denied unemployment and his hours have been cut. I feel so stressed out. We can't share a car because my daughter is in school and I am due any day now with #2. Any helpful ideas??

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
If you have a Craig's List in your area, there are cars on there. I was eyeing some at 4k that were nicer than my current one. You would only have to dip slightly into your EF to bump that amount to 4k which isn't necessarily a junker. Don't wipe out your EF but dip a bit and then replenish it as fast as you can. Not being able to work, in my mind, is a true emergency.

Hugs to you

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I'd take some $$ from the emergency fund - that is what it is for!!!

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
For $3800 you should be able to find something that starts and runs reliably. It may be ugly as sin and still have no heat, but that won't be an issue for a while.

I'm not sure why you can't share a car if you are not working. Yes, it means getting up early and packing the kid along and a lot of back and forth. But for a few days or a week until you replace the 2nd car it shouldn't be too horrible.

Reactions: Lindsey

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For $3800 you should be able to find something that starts and runs reliably. It may be ugly as sin and still have no heat, but that won't be an issue for a while.

I'm not sure why you can't share a car if you are not working. Yes, it means getting up early and packing the kid along and a lot of back and forth. But for a few days or a week until you replace the 2nd car it shouldn't be too horrible.
We can't share a car because Hubby has to be at work at 8:30 and my daughter has school at 8:45 and once summer hits she will be in camp 3 days a week. I can't possible get hubby to work on time and then drive 45 minutes - hour to get my daughter to school/camp.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
might not be a popular answer but as a home care RN - a mom of 5 when i was a FT SAHM and my husband working a 40 mile each way trip into the other state i know about needing two reliable cars.

i would probably get my EF and take it down to 1000 or 1500 and put the rest towards getting a car that will last you for many years as compared to a beater that may not last as long .

there are cheaper make cars kias and smaller fords that are under 10000 new if you dont get all the frills ( and really who needs their butt heated and 7 disc player ) so you should be able to find one a few years old in good condition for not alot of money ,

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
We can't share a car because Hubby has to be at work at 8:30 and my daughter has school at 8:45 and once summer hits she will be in camp 3 days a week. I can't possible get hubby to work on time and then drive 45 minutes - hour to get my daughter to school/camp.

Can hubby be dropped off at 8am, giving you time to get to the school by 8:45? He gets to read the paper for 30 minutes, or work a little extra time and you get the kid to school, too.

What I'm saying is, something has to give. You've got to flex somewhere. Get up early, rearrange the schedule a little bit, put some effort into making the one-car thing work for a little while until you can find a beater you can afford. And you will find one if you look hard enough.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My dd found a car on Craigslist for $3500. My DH checked it out really well before we made the purchase. It has turned out to be a very reliable car.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
My dh paid 1,300 for his car and you wouldn't believe the miles he puts on it. In three years we have only had one issue and it required about 400 dollars in repairs. SO yes you can get a reliable car for 3,000.

I'm saying this with a kind heart. You have to buy the car you can afford not the one you want. 3,000 is plenty

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
just make sure you have someone reliable check it out for you . and not someone the seller knows or reccomends.

i know everyone is giving you their good stories hear but i have heard alot of bad ones too. so pay to have it checked out research the make on google - go to library check out consumer reports used car book etc

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
How about using the gymnastics and birthday money you have saved? Does she have to go to camp this summer? Something definitely has to give...good luck!!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
How about using the gymnastics and birthday money you have saved? Does she have to go to camp this summer? Something definitely has to give...good luck!!
This is what I was thinking. Your daughter is very young and you will have a newborn soon. Niether of them are going to care if you spend that kind of money on them at Christmas and birthdays. Leave the overspending to the grandparents. You have almost $5000.00 available without dipping into your emergency fund. That is using the college fund money. That is easy enough to replace. Like others have stated though, your EF $$ should be used. IMO this is an emregency.

car fund=3279.23
college =644.45
freedom=558.75
Christmas=505.67
gymnastics=722.38 TOTAL=5710.48 that's a nice car
Cat

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those totals are actually not up to date. I have already paid for her camp for this summer prior to any of this happening and I believe that account has about $100 max in it. As for the Christmas fund we don't buy our daughter anything except for birthdays and Christmas. We save money over the course of a year so for one day a year we can spoil our children. The grandparents can't do it because that is who is paying for her tuition to school. My Husband has said he would rather walk to work then take away Christmas morning.

This is what I was thinking. Your daughter is very young and you will have a newborn soon. Niether of them are going to care if you spend that kind of money on them at Christmas and birthdays. Leave the overspending to the grandparents. You have almost $5000.00 available without dipping into your emergency fund. That is using the college fund money. That is easy enough to replace. Like others have stated though, your EF $$ should be used. IMO this is an emregency.

car fund=3279.23
college =644.45
freedom=558.75
Christmas=505.67
gymnastics=722.38 TOTAL=5710.48 that's a nice car
Cat

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did but the hearing keeps getting postponed. Hubby and I are right now weighing pros and cons on dropping the appeal. The amount of money I would get monthly would not be that much but it would put us over the limit for WIC. With my first I wasn't able to breastfeed so if I do need formula it might make more sense to be able to get it through WIC because we wouldn't be able to afford it on my unemployment.

You were laid off and denied unemployment? Can you appeal the unemployment denial?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a 94 honda civic for 3000 and have gotten it up 275000 miles still runs perfect you can find a car with some homework or maybe dip into the EF as others have said that way you dont take away christmas or birthdays

·
Registered
151 Posts
Why can't dd take the bus to school?

I would try see what's out there for 3,000$. If need be you could dip into the ef, but a cheap car does not equal unreliable in the same way a newer one could be a lemon.

I would get an older year car with low mileage and a reputable make like Nissan, Honda or Toyota. Some people would be scared off by say a 2000 model.. But if it's a Honda with 70,000 kms you've got yourself a cream puff! (provided it's cheap)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts