Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG! I never would have believed it... but chickens are frikkin ANIMALS!
We trimmed the fat from a ham that we cut up for ham and beans and the wife suggested I give to the chickens. huh? :confused:

So, we cut it up in small chunks and OMGosh they are very very carnivorous and stop at nothing! The went absolutely wild over this stuff and it was every chicken for itself!

If I ever fall down in the pen, I'm a dead man! :ack:

·
19,119 Posts
mahalo for the warning =who'd thunk it! Take care.

·
4,028 Posts
Good info for my future. I have been educated!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
reminds me of a wall decoration one of my patients had

" Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a chicken "

i saw that and laughed myself in tears lol !

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
What Palooka said, don't ever fall down and for heavens sake don't take cookies to the coop

Reactions: Russ

·
Registered
184 Posts
You also have to keep an eye on your flock in case one gets wounded and bleeds. Chickens are not only carnivorous, but cannibalistic.

When I was a kid we'd routinely find the hides of small hapless animals who'd ventured into the coop looking for an easy egg or chicken meal. The hunter would often become prey. Even larger animals had to be cautious - maybe one chicken would stand no chance against a weasel, but a weasel stands no chance against 200 chickens.

·
27,948 Posts
Thanks for the PSA (public service announcment)
Ever notice how their eyes follow you as you walk Russ?!

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the PSA (public service announcment)
Ever notice how their eyes follow you as you walk Russ?!
They follow me around, it's like I'm the pied piper!

And one little hen is always right there when I show up. She wants to see what I have for her. If a squat down she will get up on my knee and eat right out of my hand.

·
27,948 Posts
They want you to think you are leading Russ, it's all part of their evil plan to take over the world. They have you right where they want you. Mwahaha!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
umm okay remind me not to make a joke again .

i have been pecked in the leg by a mad chicken actually it was a rooster i think ) before -learned to not go into that area without thick jeans on
just because i dont live on a farm doesnt mean i have no experience with certain things.

which is why i found the quote so funny - take a strong willed determined 19 yo in a bad mood wth PMS and i would take the chicken pecks over her in a mood.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
My current rooster is very protective of his flock. I have to wear knee-high rain boots if I am going to go in there and confront him. I forgot once, and he bloodied my leg up pretty well. Forget about the pecking - it's the spurs that get you!!

I used to have a hen who would fly up and sit on my shoulder like a parrot. Very fun, except for the part when the fat and frantically flapping bird would be trying to get some lift as she landed in your face. :)

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The roosters have gone after the wife and acted like they were going to come after me, until I rushed at them with flailing arms.

Now my wife's boss has chickens and one day he's walking in the barn and the rooster came up and put a spur in each leg.
Her boss had fried chicken that night.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Russ thanks for the laugh..We use to raise chickens for a Hachery..They can get the better of you before you know it and they can be dangerous in a group..Stay safe around them...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.