Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Incandescent lightbulbs, the ones teardrop shaped with filament in them, will not be sold past December/January. You 'need' to purchase the Energy Saver ones with mercury inside (yeah, right). Anyway, so just reminding ya to stock up - Home Depot had them on sale here. . .:remind:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
we've been stocking up on regular ones and we have 2 light fixtures that take 6 teardrop each.Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Home Depot had an 8 pack for $2.98 here because of a energy subsidy program so we loaded up good. I am going to assume we still have electricity regardless.
I also stock the reg. because of some outside lights too.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Thanks for the tip. While at WalMart today :(, I stocked on three way 30-70-100 for our living room lamps.

They didn't have any 40W, the lowest was 60W but I think I have a good stockpile on the 40's.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
You are not talking about the regular light bulbs are you? I thought everyone was encouraged to get away from them and start using the energy saving ones.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The energy saving light bulbs were supposed to last longer too. Ours didn't last any longer than regular light bulbs.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Ours lasted a lot longer but I do get nervous when a pet knocks a lamp and shards and bits Mercury hit the floor. I tend to believe a mix is safer for our crazy circus.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Thanks for the reminder.......I need to take inventory on what I will need.

Just had a bad exp. with the CFL.......

could tell (from the flicker) that one was burning out in a bedroom lamp. Went into the room just as it gave its last flicker and what looked like a FLAME stayed in the bulb after it went out completely. I quickly switched the lamp off. The base of it was SO HOT that I had to use a hot pad to remove it and IT BURNED THE HOT PAD!

Damn!!......I shudder to think what would have happened if I had not been close to the room.........or not home. (but I never leave that lamp on when not home)

I HATE those things........I don't think they are safe, and not just because of the mercury. I started putting the dates on the base when I replace them............don't think I have EVER had one last the time "they say" they should.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
We're switching to LED bulbs.

The curly bulbs were great when they first came out back in the 80's. They'd last YEARS. I had a 15 foot ceiling in my college loft apt and we put one up so we wouldn't have to keep changing it. It was still going after I moved out 3 years later.

It bothers me that they are making them cheap now and they don't last any longer than the regular ones AND they are still selling them as "green" products when they are toxic and filling the landfill just as quickly.

They do use less energy though. A drop in the bucket of this country's power usage.

Reactions: NicJean
1 - 9 of 9 Posts