Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every Christmas I find it hard to stay on budget with all the toys the kids request and with all the pretty things I want to buy to the adults in the family. So this Christmas I'm writing everything down and will make sure to stay on budget.I've decided the budget will be 1000$ total and I can't go over that. If anyone wants to join me into this challenge that would be awesome!

So far I've bought a bunch of gifts for the kids and the teacher's gifts.

333.45/1000

Reactions: lisaflex

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Christmas does get expensive.
This year we decided to simplify. For the adults in our life (parents, aunts, uncles) I will be ordering calendars with pictures of my dd for every month. It comes out to less than 10$/each.
DH and I aren't exchanging anything big, altough I will get him little things for his stocking (gum, favorite candy, razor blades, etc)
DD has asked for 3 things and I will be getting some second hand.
For the nieces and nephews we will not spend more than 30$ each.
All in all, I expect to spend less than 500$.

Reactions: Suprise

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
So we got a much needed car,freezer and I want to get Dh a recliner after his surgery.
But on actual Christmas-I could care less.
Dmom is 83 and wants nothing. Ds-is in the army and lives in Colorado on base so cash for him
DD-cash
DH-the chair.
We get a live $30. tree we cut at a private lot and Dinner will come out of the regular groc. budget.
thats the plan so far. I wont send cards. Well 1 to mom and maybe dbro.
Havent bought 1 things so far.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The husband and I like to spoil each other on Christmas since we're pretty frugal during the rest of the year. For my parents I usually fill up a basket full of goodies for about 60$. As for my brother he gets a basket with a few different tall can beers. Then I have two grand parents and an aunt and uncle that gets a box of chocolate and some homemade baked goods. I'm sure I'm going to be able to keep my spending closer to 800$ but I wanted a bit of wiggle room just in case.

Bought my niece's gift on special yesterday for 18$.

Total so far: 351/500

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I hated doing tons of cards every year, then I cut back and then stopped completely. I get far fewer and I can totally live with that, lol

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Years ago the Christmas budget was small and so were the children LOL

Here is an example of what I spent for Christmas 2011. http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums...stmas-bought-paid-average-5-person-spent.html

Now I work full time around this time of year and the children are older. It is harder for me to find the super almost free deals. so we aim for $200 and limit at $300.

Here is what I have so far.

Little Miss - shoes and gloves
Buddy -nothing yet
Hubby we do not exchange presents but I am having a hard time getting him to buy the clothing he needs. I plan on buying him some if I find good deals.
MIL-FIL nothing yet. I plan on buying something from a local store here in our town. something special they can only get from here.
Grandparent ( three )- making scrabble tile name plates.
Hubby's siblings and their families - they decided not presents so we all do a card exchange with family pictures in the card. I put the pictures in frames on the mantel.
Hubby's aunts Uncles and cousins - We send Christmas cards with family pictures.
Teacher gift's whatever the children decide to make. ( not sure if College Students give presents to their professors. I do not think I did ans a college student.)
My Mother - she only gets presents from us so I buy her a bunch. Here is what I have so far
1) about 10 books. bought at the library book sale Price $1 in total
2) microwave soup mug $3
3) a wall calendar made with recent pictures of the grandchildren $12.00
4) i will probably buy her a thing or two will have to see what I can find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts