Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another week has come and gone and already we are into August. Summer seems to be flying very quickly this year, doesn't it.

Although its Sunday and I like to make it a day of rest, we are still tearing off plaster from our living room walls. What a mess, but it needs to get done before winter sets in and we have a long weekend this weekend.

We put the kids to work yesterday and they thought it was neat to hammer plaster off walls, take off the lathe, but the work went much faster. By the time we were finished working last night, they were completely white, with white hair even. They are still sleeping, so they must be pretty tired.

Today, will finish stripping the walls and then tomorrow, will start putting up the 2 in. studs and insulating. I'm hoping we can get it all done by tomorrow night.

Late tonight we have fireworks, so will be off to that. The kids and dh watched the parade and came back with lots of candy yesterday. They thought it was pretty cool!!

Thats the buzz, down on my homestead.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Ah homesteadingmama, I feel for you. We too are mid-construction. Yesterday we insulated the living room and today we put up the ceiling and hopefully the walls. As this is all new to us it is taking us a long time. We will have nearly a new house by the time it is done!! lol I keep thinking how much we will save on heat this winter. We have NO insulation in this house before we started and now all the 1 floor is done. That and the fact that we bought a wood stove to help heat will do us wonders I think.
After we het up the ceiling I'd like to make some pepper jelly or relish. With all the home improvements we have been doing this summer, I have yet to be able to do any canning. and the garden looks a mess. Thank goodness the plants have been well rootd before the weeds came to stay. LOL

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I can't believe how faster summer is flying by CJ. I start back to work on the 11th and the boys go back on the 19th. I sure will miss being around here like I have gotten to be during the summer, but when I get home from work I will catch up.:D

It is going to be a scorcher today...101! So, we are being lazy and staying indoors. DH BBQ'ed a brisket so we didn't have to heat up the house.

I am going to wait and declutter Chris and Dakota's room until tomorrow. I am just completely taking the day off.

Enjoy those fireworks CJ.:D

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Today we went to the city- took my MIL to St. Louis for her birthday. We went to Forest Park to the Jewel Box (botanical garden like ) and the Art museum. Ate out twice in one day- my kids were amazed that I didn't pack a lunch at least, but I wanted it to be special for my MIL's 70th birthday;.

Came home to find that my neighbor had left a bushel of sweet corn on my front porch, so will need to get that put up quickly.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Good morning!:smball:

This is a holiday here today but as DH hauls into the States he left last night. Kody is healing nicely and is walking around a bit better, going to try and get him outside today for some fresh air.

Going to be making a fresh blueberry pie this morning, bought some blueberries at the market yesterday and put some in the freezer. Also making some bran muffins and rice krispie squares.

If it dries up a bit the lawn needs cut badly so that will be done this afternoon along with pulling weeds!!:eek: Lots of those after the rain.

Have a wonderful day!!:smball:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good morning to all my homesteading friends. Its Monday here and like Heather said a holiday, although it hasn't been much of a holiday here. Slowtypinwoman, we did all our upstairs last fall and cut our heat in half. I'm hoping we can cut our heat in half once again by finishing the main floor.

btw - there was absolutely NO insulation in our house either except in the attic!!!

Today will be another busy day. I need to finish putting up the 2 x 2's and dh will do the wiring. While were doing that, our oldest daughter will be busy putting up the insultion. Were hoping we can at least get some of the gyproc up today, but the job has been a huge one, with 9 ft. walls and other unexpected surprises coming our way.

I also need to wash clothes. Our bedding especially as there is dust on everything. I also need to get some dusting done as I have a white powdered dust on everything.

It looks like and is suppose to rain, so hopefully it will. We need it desperately - we are now in a critical stage!!!

Hope everyone has a great day on their homestead.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Heather, I am glad to hear Kody is coming along well after the surgery. :)

CJ, sounds like you are moving right along on your home improvement project. You will be done before you know it.

Today will be another scorcher. Suppose to be 99. That is just oo hot. I can't wait for the cooler temps to hit. We don't usually see any of that until late October.

Today, I need to make a trip to Foley's to return a shirt I bought for Richard and to JCPenney's to exchange a pair of pants for Richard and Chris. I guess I had a memory lapse when I bought the items and forgot what size they wore.

I also want to make a run to Walgreens and pick up the rebate items I need.

Then I plan on getting in Chris and Dakota's room and decluttering it. I have to commit myself to doing it today.

Enjoy your holiday Heather and CJ!:D

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good afternoon, on this Tuesday. The sun is shining here and we got a bit of rain last night, but not enough to do much good. It did turn the grass green though in some spots and I had to mow part of the lawn.

We were able to get all the insulating done, put up the poly and then we managed to get up 3 sheets of gyproc before we decided to retire. I was so tired and today I feel like a truck has run over me, so I'm pretty much taking a day to rest.

When dh gets home, will put up a couple more sheets of gyproc, but were going to do the rest slowly. We should have it pretty much done though by the weekend. We will start our m/bedroom on Labour Day weekend.

I do plan on getting at some quilting later tonight to keep my sanity and to find some peace. Quilting always does that for me.

I also am taking some time to look at some wonderful old quilting magazines sent to me by a special friend from the village. She knows who she is and I was delighted to receive them in the mail. Dd has already picked out a quilt pattern she wants to make from one of the magazines. When were in the city at the end of the week, will pick out some material for her to start on it.

Have a wonderful day on your homestead.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I again missed this thread at the beginning of the week. I've been so busy!

Sunday: It was my birthday, so we went kayaking with our club. What a great way to spend my special day!

Monday: I worked all day..

Tuesday: Today is Raechel's 12 th birthday. We hope to have a small get together with Dh family tonight. Tomorrow, my mom is cooking us a combined birthday dinner.

I've done some laundry and took a load of stuff over to the camper. We leave on Sunday :yippee: for our camping trip.

MIL and I finalized the cookbook and we are just waiting on a deposit check from our church treasurer. The company wanted our SS numbers, or half down, so we opted for the half down to protect our numbers! I can't wait to get the proof. I have worked hard on this for the past year!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Happy 12th birthday to your daughter Danielle!!:)

CJ, you have been very busy. I hope you get some rest soon.

I decided to go to the school and work on my room since school starts in 2 weeks and everything was taken out of the room by the janitors to wax and everything was taken off the walls for them to be cleaned as well. So, I have lots to do. I got the room arranged the way it will stay. There is still so much to do. I may go back and work on it some more tomorrow.

I also made a trip to HEB and Eckerd's today.

I have laundry waiting on me now that needs to folded and put away.

I am so proud of myself because I DID finish Chris and Dakota's room yesterday!! I took out 4 large hefty bags of trash and 2 large bags of outgrown clothes from there room. I have one bag I am listing on ebay and 1 bag I am donating to Goodwill. I took it over to Goodwill already so it isn't sitting here. I also took out a beanbag that was fixing to bust and a dresser that Chris used. When I started going through all their clothes I realized they didn't need 2 in their room. (They share a room.) This has made their room look neater and bigger. I hung most of their clothes in the closet, something they never did.

Poor DH. We woke up at 2 am this morning to the fire monitors going off. There was a structure fire and they were toning us out as well. He fought it for 2 hours and then had to get up at 6am to go to work after getting home a little after 4am. It was a historical buidling too! :( They said it was a suspicious fire.

Tonight we are going to the fire station and eat hotdogs that the county deputies are cooking for all the neighbors in the county. It is for the national night out celebration. I am sure it will be fun. There will be things for the kids to do as well.

Well, that's the buzz here on the homestead.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Wow, you ladies have all been so busy!!:)

Today was a "on the road" day, just got back from the hospital with Kody........he had a followup appointment for his arm and they put on a fibreglass cast. They were happy with the xray but we need to go back in two weeks to do it all again as he has fracture blisters and the swelling in his hands hasn't gone down like they had hoped.

Tonight I am going to bed early but before that will do some work in the garden and do a load of laundry and get it out on the line.

Supper tonight is corn on the cob that we picked up on the way home........mmm!!:)

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
This morning I am trimming shrubs and bushes. They have got a little out of hand in this humidity/rain. The grass needs cut so bad but it is still a little wet. 2 loads of laundry need done and hung out.

This afternoon I am taking some clothes/toys etc. to the consignment shop and to also cash out my account, I have about $50.00 so I will use that for some groceries that I need to get. I love that part of it, it's almost like free money because I am not missing the stuff at all that I take in.

Have a great day!!:smball:

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I'll be on the road all day today. My mom has 2 doctor appointments and a CT scan scheduled. Then we plan on doing some grocery shopping and birthday shopping for dd's presents.

If I have the energy tonight- I'll go to a tupperware party with my sis.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
WOW! Is it Wednesday already? I need to hang out a load of laundry and then get started on mudding the wals. Homesteadingmama, How can you do anything that is not drywall related? I can't get through my house right now!!! lol This is our last room and I think we will be done with the walls by this week end. The floor is not getting done until Labor Day Week end. So, I think our house will be a mess until then. I need to do some garage saling and get Alex some back to school clothing. Sadly I have no time to do this. Mike and Alex are going to St. Louis next week end so I think I'll try then. Need to think of some thing for dinner. hhmmmm I'll golook in the freezer. Happy homesteading all!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Good Wednesday Morning!

I was checking the sales ads in todays newspaper and saw some great loss leaders that I can't stand to pass up, so I will be going shopping later. Also, I saw that Eckerd's in our area is having double coupons, so I will go there too!!!

Richard is going to be working with my MIL today at the newspaper. He is filling in for someone on vacation. He kept asking her if she had anything for him to do and the persistance finally paid off.:D I am just hoping he will be well enough to go. He woke me up in the middle of the night vomitting. :( Chris also woke me up. He was in severe pain on his left side. I guess something is going around.

I need to mow the lawn, but I think I will wait until later this evening. I also need to water the trees and plants. They are starting to turn green again!

I hope you all have a great day on your homesteads.:D

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good morning everyone, although its almost afternoon. The kids are watching Kangaroo Jack, so I finally have a few minutes on here.

I washed two loads of clothes today and they are hanging outside to dry. Once finished, the kids and I will fold them and get them put away.

I mowed the lawn yesterday, today is pulling weeds again from the flowerbeds. There are few less each time I do the weeding, so I'm getting them under control. The roses are all blooming again and the perennials are doing beautifully considering its been so dry.

We put up another 2 sheets of gyproc last night and will do a couple more tonight. Slowtypinwoman, I know what you mean. I can hardly wait to get my house back in order. It was quite a surprise yesterday though, because it was hot outside, but so cool in the living room. In fact, we didn't even have to put the a/c on. Again, its hot today and no a/c on yet. Its even made a difference upstairs, not hot at all!! Woo hoo, an added benefit of not having to put the a/c on.

This afternoon, I want to do some more quilting. The baby quilt is almost finished.

Thats the buzz, down on my homestead.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I got home from taking my mom to all her doctor appointments to find another bushel of sweet corn from my neighbor- got to get it put up tomorrow.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Its a beautiful day and a good day all around. DD FINALLY found a house to rent,so we are packing up stuff for her this evening and getting ready to move some small stuff tomorrow. Now we need to find the big stuff....couches,etc. She is a happy camper:D I hope this works well for her. Now I need to start the major cleaning and start by cleaning carpets:(
Everone have a great evening:cool:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Today I went to BJ's to stock up on some food/supplies for our camping trip. Worked on some laundry so I can start putting the kids clothes in the camper this weekend.

We had our birthday dinner at my parents house tonight. Dad and I took Courtney for a walk around the neighborhood. His neighbor even did some bird calls for her :)

The house is straightened except for the bedrooms. I hope to take care of them tomorrow. I also need to go through my gift closet, as MIL birthday is tomorrow. This is birthday week in our family!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Good Thursday monring!!It is going to be HOT! HOT! HOT! today. Yesterday it was 102 and today it is suppose to be 105 with 110 heat index. It is so humid!! At 9:30 last night it was still too hot to go outside.

I have been cooking outside on the grill cause I don't want to have the heat in the house.

There isn't much going on today as we are all trying to stay inside and cool.

Just the regular chores.

Have a great day on your homestead!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts