Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Dutchwoman, I pay $28 for 50 lbs. hard red organic wheat at my health food store. It lasts quite a long time. I purchase 100 lbs. at a time (2 - 50 lb. bags) and from Sept. until its too hot to bake, I use about 300 lbs. of wheat. However, I bake everything with freshly ground grain.

Yesterday was the first day I didn't feel sick. Thanks for all your good thoughts.

Today I'm not doing much again. I do need to do a bit of cleaning and then I'll be quilting. I'm not sure what else is planned for today.

Tonight, once again, its over to the po to clean then home to read.

Have a nice Wed. everyone.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Good morning all,

Rhonda, hope you are enjoying your time with Susan!

Cathy, may the phone ring quickly and resound with good news:D

It is a bright, sunny and cool morning here. We had a beautiful sunset last night too. The weather is supposed to get a bit warmer over the next couple of days but not back to the super hot and humid.

Today is a work at home day. I have a some knitting techniques to review for my seminar on the cruise and also some notes to make for it. The back ground for the second seminar should be at the store today so I may take a quick run in to pick it up. As well, I want to spend some time crocheting a dressy top I am hoping to take with me and knitting on the shawl which is almost done.

I need to do a couple of loads of laundry and make up my grocery list for tomorrow. I also want to sort through a bag of clothes to go to the thrift store and some books to send to the library. They are all stacked in my upstairs hall which I desperately need to vacuum and shampoo the carpet.

Have a great day all!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I'M GOING ON A CRUISE! A FREE CRUISE and just to put the icing on the cake...it is a knitting cruise.
Holy Moly Chriss! What an awesome gift! Good for you!! That sounds wonderful!

Amy- Were you able to have meatloaf last night? Ugh! I feel for you. :hugz:

Tina- I hope you and your DD are both feeling better!

Cathy- Sending good vibes for that job!!

CJ- I hope the tests go well, I hope you are feeling a bit better!

Julie- I wish you the best for the new job as well!

Rhonda- I'm glad you are enjoying your time with Susan!! Have fun today!

:laugh: Dutchwoman I missed that! :yikes: Rhonda what are you up to?! :skept: :laugh: Now I'm cracking up and coworkers are looking at me strange.

It's been quite chilly here...Like September weather. I am thankful it isn't hot. I noticed there are wild grapes along my walk route to work. They are almost ripe. I would love to pick them, but it's a very busy road and have been thinking they are probably not very good with all the trucks going by with diesel exhaust. Lots and lots of trucks! They are small and I did taste one yesterday. They are tart, but definitely grape flavor. Still thinking that even though they are tempting I may not want to eat them What do you think?

Okay I must get back to it! Have a great day everyone!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Michele, We were able to have meatloaf...my Mom stopped by and mashed it up for me. Thinking more about it, I guess I could have used my kitchenaid, but knowing me, I'd never think it was clean enough again to use, so I think Mom was the best option. Thank goodness for her!

Today I have completely cleaned up the playroom and the office. I put stuff away, threw away one game and vacuumed the rugs. It feels nice. I picked Patrick up from daycare and when we got home, the PSE&G man was waiting in the driveway to convert our gas meter. Everyone in town gets a new one that they can read from the street. Makes it easier than having those overpriced estimates that are never correct.

Right now, Patrick is napping and I am about to take a shower. Ooh, that's right...this morning I got a free haircut with a gift card I received for Christmas. (Yes, I haven't had a haircut since before last Christmas.) She went quite a bit shorter than I wanted, but I can't see what she's doing without my glasses. Oh well, the prenatal vitamins will make it grow quickly.

This afternoon, after I pick up Julia, she and I are going to bake oatmeal cookies. Then I will probably take the kids to the park. Dinner tonight will be lasagna (frozen...gift from my mom) for Robert and I and leftover macaroni and cheese for the kids. Cleaning out those leftovers!

Enjoy your day, all!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Hello all. The weather here is just wonderful. It is cooler than before but nice and sunny. It is starting to feel like fall! I cant wait for the leaves to turn and the pumpkins to turn bright orange. I think it is just the prettiest time of the year!

I am quite pleased to find that the jelly I made last night, zucchini, set up correctly! Maybe I am getting the hang of this. I am off now to straighten up the pantry shelves in the basement. They are a mess and I need to inventory them. I am hoping to stockpile a bit more supplies for winter. I think I need to get flour, sugar, rice, pasta and some can goods. But am not sure how to store the flour. Do any of you freeze it?

Hope you are all having fun and taking care of yourself!

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Hmmm... Well, I bought a bunch of corn and plan to freeze it, but I just kind of don't feel like doing anything this week at all. Not sure why -- I have a real forboding sense of something unpleasant about to happen, which makes me extremely uncomfortable -- usually these feelings are right. I have already cleaned it of husk and silk, so I do have to get it done soon, but I just feel like vegetating all week and doing nothing. We'll see, if I can get any motivation.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Well, I got the job. But I need encouragement! They asked me if I would have to call in if my daughter was sick, etc. It doesn't sound like they are very kid friendly. I start being trained on Fri., I am so nervous because that would mean my dd would have to go to daycare before school, and after school. It will be a very long day for her! My dh will have a fit if I don't take the job. Should I take it, and continue looking closer to home for another. This one is about a half hour away. What if they need me from school? My dd comes first!! What do you think?:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congratulations Baxjul!

Its so exciting and nervewracking getting a new job. I have always worked a half hour or more away from home. My current job is an hours drive away.

How old is your daughter?

I was fortunate enough to have healthy kids, and a mom next door when they were little to watch them. When they got a little older they stayed home alone when they were sick and I would call and check up on them. Chances are your child will not be sick very much, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure they are concerned that you will be reliable, and not calling in sick all the time, which is hard on everyone. They may have had problems with this in the past.

I wouldn't worry too much. Moms work all the time these days, and manage to have little ones also.

Naderbug: I hope you are wrong about this weekend.

Mamaw: nice job on the jelly.

homesteadmamma: wow, wheat was more expensive than I thought. At least I know I'm not getting ripped off.

I've been busy trying to organize a craft class at church, we used to have one and it fizzled after awhile. I've heard some of the others saying how much they missed it. I was thinking of starting out with some of those oriental trading company crafts, they're inexpensive and some are really cute. I've laid out the idea and now I am waiting for "permission" from the church. If not, I just may round up some folks and do it at home. I LOVE crafts.

The kids are at the waterpark today with the youth group, tomorrow DD#1 registers for high school. Wow, high school is expensive, all those fees! $55 for a yearbook alone. OUCH

My husband had to fly to Spokane today for a job, his plane is delayed coming home so he should be home late. *pout*

The yorkies are playing tug-of-war over a toy, they are so silly.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Mamaw said:
Do any of you freeze it?

I do keep mine in the freezer. Years ago when I still used regular white sugar, I kept my stockpile of it in the freeze as well. Just wrap them up good and tight, especially the sugar, so no moisture gets in.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Well, today's plan is simple. Not much of anything. I just dropped the kids off and will pick Patrick up at 11:15 and Julia up at 2:00. I have a roast cooking in the crock pot for dinner and most of my work around the house is done. I may set up my sewing machine, (finally!), and practice a little bit with it. I'm going to try to take it easy today because once school starts, it's hurricane season in my schedule.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Good morning all! Hope everyone is having a lovely Thursday.
I did about half my Christmas shopping yesterday. This is sooo unlike me to be ahead of the game, but my dh took all 4 dks to visit with his mother in another town and I had all day to myself. It was nice and a much-needed break but I still missed them. I feel so good about getting some of the shopping out of the way:)

Mawmaw, I freeze pasta and flour and they work fine.

Nada, I hope you feel better today.

Julie, congrats on the new job offer. You'll make the right decision.

Dutchwoman, the church craft class sounds like a great idea. I had thought of maybe getting some of the ladies at our church together for a similar meeting. My thought was that we could share our skills such as quilting, knitting, etc. I used to teach a girl's youth group and asked for knitters/crocheters to teach the girls their skills so we could make baby blankets to donate to a local pregnancy center. The girls loved it and the ladies who helped loved working with the girls. Best of luck on starting your group!

Taking the children to playgroup today and then a picnic tonight.

Emily

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Good morning everyone. The phone rang and woke me up and I was sleeping so nicely. Oh well it was our oldest son, so I guess thats okay.

Not sure whats on the agenda today. I need to take the kids to the library later this afternoon for sure and I need to get last night's dishes done. I may even throw in a load of laundry first thing this morning.

Hope everyone has a nice Thurs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good morning:D
This morning I picked peaches. I will freeze some if I can stop eating them. They are small and sooooooooo good! I am still waiting for the "job" call. I am nervous that they will get someone else. DH said that it was God's way of teaching me patience. I guess he is right. I just never have been very good at waiting.
The chores are done for the day. I had to lift 3-50# bags of chicken feed this morning. I don't think I hurt anything. I need to mop the floor today. I should vaccum, but the phone is fairly quiet and the vaccum is noisy. I will wait til the weekend.
Everyone have a really good day and if you think about it pray that the patience I need comes.;)

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Well, I took the job. I'm not real excited about it. My FIL is moving to FL from PA in Nov., he will be staying with us until he finds a house. I will feel better then. I just worry about the school needing me, and I'm so far away. Plus, she is going to have to be at daycare at 7 AM, then go to school all day, then back to day care until about 5:30. That is a pretty long day for a five year old. On Fridays I get done at 2:00. So, that should be good.

I'm working all of this weekend at my other job, 9 - 6 Sat. and Sun.

Today, I had to go and buy some scrubs, because I gave all of mine to my niece when I moved. I didn't think that I would be needing them. Never dreamed I would be back in health care. Now I just have to come up with the $200 it costs to get my nursing license switched to FL.

I hope everyone has a good day, sorry about rambling on, I'm a nervous wreck about this! I've never been more than 5 minutes away from my baby!

:(

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Julie, you are going to be just fine. I used to teach 30 minutes away from my daughters daycare and it worked out just fine. If she's sick, they'll take care of her for the 30 minutes you need to drive to get there. They won't just stick her at the curb. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Julie,
You are going to be fine. I hope you do not have a lot of trouble getting your Florida license. I tried to get mine in Alabama, and they made it almost impossible. Anyway, I pray you will have many blessings.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
OMG! I just found out that I have to take my nursing license exam over! I haven't taken one, or been in school for 15 years!!! I hope I pass!!!! A whole new set of nerves just jumped to attention! Geez, it must be easier to move up north, all they do is transfer the license!

Thanks everyone for all of your support!:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Go get an NCLEX and brush up. I feel that you will do better than you think.:) Be sure to use the disc on the computer. It will help.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Thank you!!!! I never thought of that!

I'm getting too old for this! :bang:

I think the tropical storm rain is coming, it is pouring outside for about 30 min. now. Usually it only lasts 10-15 min. HMMM!:eek:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Good afternoon all,

It is hot here again:mad: I was really enjoying the cooler weather.
This morning I had my flute lesson and then spent the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon running errands. Now I am going to get some lemonade and sit in my nice cool basement and work on some crocheting.

DH and I are going to have a nice steak dinner tonight and then watch a dvd rental. NO kids!

Off to find the lemonade! Have a wonderful evening.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts