Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, its Sunday and were back to Down on the Homestead. We've got just under 2 weeks to go and will be into August. Seems like July has gone faster than any other July. I've noticed were losing sunlight already in the evenings.

Well today is suppose to be a day of rest but I do need to do a couple of things. I need to wash one load of clothes and hang them outside to dry.

I need to do some investigating on the net in regards to storing water. Ours turned bad, with something like "salt cystals" around the containers. We have very hard water, so for now I can't store water in my stockpiling.

This afternoon, I think will take a drive down some back roads and just enjoy nature, see if we can find some berries and have some fun.

Thats the buzz, down on the homestead for this morning.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
We just got back from church, I hadn't gone in a couple weeks and missed going.

Today is a day of rest here too. We are getting a light rain so any ideas for outside are off.

I am putting a chicken in the oven this afternoon for supper and will have potatoes and carrots with that along with a salad. Haven't decided on all of dessert, it'll be fresh fruit but I want to make some squares as well.

May go and visit a neighbour this afternoon.

Have a great day!!:smball: Oh, I like Down on the Homestead!!:smball:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning, its Monday. Its nice and cool here today and was perfect weather yesterday, warm with a nice breeze. We need rain desperately.

I have lots to do today down on the homestead. I need to wash down all the baseboards, door and window frames. They need a good cleaning.

I also need to get the windows washed, both inside and out. I'll take the screens off as well and spray them down. We tend to get lots of dust here. While doing that, I'll also wash down the electric fans. I just cleaned them, but they need cleaning again.

I watered the flowerbeds yesterday, but already they need more water. My water bill is going to be higher this time, but because we haven't had rain in a long time, I need to do it. While doing that, I'll trim down the roses and dead head any plants that need to be done. My hostas are just about ready to produce flowers. I can hardly wait.

A big job I need to get done today and have been putting off is cleaning my oven and stove.

Thats the buzz down on my homestead.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well I got a solid start on my office today. The bills are now organized, my receipts are being filed (soon as I find the rest of them....:bang: )
I am entering my childrens stories into my pc today. I have some laundry going, and my kitchen and master bath are getting done a bit at a time!
I want to spend some time on my genealogy too, even though I am finding more brick walls than answers!
It is just too hot to do anything outside, even with the windows quilted and ac on its warmish inside as well!
Well thats all the news from down here!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Down on my Homestead...

It's a slow day here...we are a bit tired from our rough return from our vacation...

I'm doing TONS of laundry--a week's worth of dirty clothes, blankets and sheets and dirty sleeping bags...

Pierre is trying to fix the car...

Our kids are on a relaxed mode...it's very quiet here...

My aunt Francine is with us today. It's her first visit since she moved. We will be going to see the cheap movies this afternoon...(It's only $2.99 a ticket) and we'll be getting 2 large free chocolate bars...

Besides that, I'm looking forward in spending quiet time at home under our tree...

·
Tina Bob
1,591 Posts
I'ts going to be another hot, hot day down on this homestead.

Sunday my allergies were really bothering me so I took some allergy meds and they totally knocked me out. About an hour after I took the pills, dh and I were out for a walk, I told him we need to get back home because I was feeling really weird. As soon as we got home I curl up on my bed and slept for 3 hours. :eek: When I woke up I felt a bit better but I had absolutely no energy and was useless for the whole day. So anyways, I will NOT be doing that again.

Today I will be doing laundry, laundry, and some more laundry. With three teenagers arriving back from camp with a weeks worth of laundry I'll be lucky if I finish the laundry today. Besides that I need to weed my little garden and my flower beds.

That's it for this homestead :)

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Strawberry, hope you are feeling better soon! It sure is bad for allergies here too!

Today was a quiet kind of day...did some laundry, went to town to deliver lots and lots of bags of "goodies" to the Salvation Army. It felt so good getting rid of so much!! I am slowly getting to where I want to be with my "stuff"! Alot of what I donated were things that I haven't even looked at since we moved here or outgrown clothes.

Had to make many phone calls and pay bills as well! It's one of those jobs I don't like doing but has to be done.

Going to bed here soon.:angel2:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
It was a hot day on my Homestead today. But I got outside and took the kids on a long walk. We walked to the stores we needed to visit. and mailed out a package. Then we had lunch and did some shopping, just a few items. Some iron on patches and a few pkgs of candy to make some gift bags with. it was nice to be out. And DS walked the whole way! I was surprised he didn't climb on into the stroller as usual. DD slept most of the walk in the stroller. the rest of the walk she played with her book (it has buttons that make noises to go along with the story- she loves it).

I need to do laundry, and fold some.

I have more cleaning to do in my closet, and my room. But i don't think i will get to my closet or room today. Tuckered out from the walk.

prety much it from this homestead!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a wonderful Tuesday morning here, with wide open blue skies, a gentle breeze and peace while all my munckins are asleep.

I managed to get quite a bit done yesterday and even did 3/4 hr. on the craft challenge and then another 10 minutes last night. It felt good to be doing some quilting again. I almost finished the Log Cabin tutorial, but ran out of film, so I need to pick up some while I'm in the city on Saturday.

Today, I'm washing some bedding, vaccuuming and just general cleaning. I finished all the baseboards, door frames and window sills yesterday.

I need to mow the lawn, but I'll wait until tonight to do that. Its a large job and I prefer doing it when its cooler. I have to mow in spots, because of lack of rain, the lawn isn't growing well. I refuse to water it - it just costs too much.

All the flowers are now in bloom. The roses have finished their first bloom, but should bloom again in about 3 weeks. I've learnt how to make them bloom twice in one year and they haven't failed me yet. I transplanted my daisy and its starting to pick up. I know your not suppose to transplant while they are in bloom, but this plant was taking over my whole flowerbed and my other perennials were suffering from it. I'm amazed that the daisy is still blooming.

I froze some blueberries yesterday.

Thats about all on my little homestead this morning.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Happy Tuesday Homesteaders!

I'm about to go and water my potted plants and flowers, told dh I would do that last nite and didn't (oops). Gonna be a nice day here too. I'll be doing laundry (2-3 loads), cleaning the kitchen, laundry room and my bedroom, working on a clogged drain in the kitchen (ugh). I'm hoping my dmom will feel up to giving me a beauty treatment (wanting to highlight my hair, which she always does for me, saving me at least $30 every 6 weeks). Don't know what we're doing yet for dinner......Hope you all have a great day on your homesteads.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good morning, this wonderful wacky Wednesday. Its warm here and suppose to get really hot.

We are now in a severe drought area. There will be no second crop of hay for the farmers (second year in a row), so not only will the farmers be affected, but so will our small local stores. Even now, I'm seeing less and less traffic in our small town and the stores are pretty much empty. Not good news for our small towns.

So today, I need to work at making a list of my stockpile, and start making a plan to get my prepping back on track. I want it built back up once again so that come winter I don't need to worry about running out of items.

I need to also go through my freezer and see what I need to build my stock back up there.

Thats it down on my homestead for today!!

·
Tina Bob
1,591 Posts
Well it's another beautiful sunny day. I love this kind of weather where it's not too hot and not too cold. It's been just perfect for me these last few days.

Today I fertilized my hanging baskets and shrubs. I'm really happy with the arrangements this years. All the colors and different kinds of flowers have add a lot of pleasure to my days.

I've done about an hour of cross-stitching for the crafting challenge. I need to do some decluttering in the basement today to. I'm going to try get some muffins made later as well.

I have company arriving the first part of August and I need to get organized for that. I'm the type of person who has to have my menu planned and as much food prep done as possible. There will be 12 of us to feed 3 meals a day for about 8 days. All suppers need to be a meat, a potato, and a veggie or two. Dfil does not eat casseroles. Today I will work on my menu and maybe start some prep work as well.

CJ, I'm with you on the food storage for winter. About 2 months ago I started hiding some money away so I could get all the great sales which usually start the end of Aug and into Sept. I have managed to hide away just over $200 so far. I love the feeling of being very well stocked up for the winter.

That's about it down on this homestead. :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Good evening! Wednesday already, nearly Thursday!

I have missed this thread all week, so I'll just post today.

I worked on the camper for about 2 1/2 hours today, scrubbing, decluttering, and fixing up for our trip to the shore on August 10. I got the dining area, kitchen cabinets, sink and countertop scrubbed today, as well as the walls in that same area. Now I have to move around to the stove, fridge, and the dreaded bathroom. The mice had a party over the winter, so I have to clean up their mess :puke:

Took the girls to the pet shop to get some more fish. We now have 8 fish in a 5 gallon tank, which is supposed to be a no no. Hopefully they'll all be okay.

Ordered pizza for dinner, and went back to the camper to close it up for the night. Chatted with MIL for a few, then came home and put Courtney to bed. She's watching Blue's Clues in her room. :)

That's the buzz on the NJ homestead. Hopefully I will get to more of that camper tomorrow. I can't start packing it until it is clean!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Morning everyone, its Thursday already - time to be on the rise. Its going to be extremely hot here today and very humid. so will all be staying inside once again today.

Our little window a/c cools the kitchen, but not much else, so the less we do the better.

I'll walk up to get the mail shortly while its still cool. The walk there doesn't hurt my foot and isn't far. I also need to pick up some fruit at the store, which is right by the post office.

I'm working on the quilting tutorials, so will also get at that while it still is not too hot upstairs. I think next year we may look at putting in central air - this is ridiculous every summer, suffering through the hot and humid temperatures here.

I watered the flowerbeds and fruit trees last night, so don't need to do those until this evening.

Thats the buzz on my homestead.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Today is nice and sunny, not humid though. CJ, know what you mean about the central air. We got a new furnace put in last week and have it set up to install the air next spring. We also have a window a/c in the livingroom.

Today I am spending outside in the garden and cleaning the pool. Later this afternoon Dylan has a chiropractor's appointment and by the time we get home DH should be home.....yeah!!!:smball:

Have chicken in the crockpot and potatoes and carrots cut up and sitting in water on the stove ready to be turned on at supper time.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Happy Thursday! :cool:

Today I tackled about 7 loads of laundry-washed, dried, folded and put away-whew!

I went through the girls clothes, and much to my delight, this year Ashlee's old jeans fit Raechel. Last year I had to buy new jeans for everyone, and Raechel needed plus size, so that cost me a fortune. Looks like just tops for both and jeans for Ashlee. I have a nice pile to put on ebay next month, and a large bag already left the house to the donation bin.

I'm off to go start dinner now, as I have to leave for work at 4:30.

That's the buzz here today.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good morning everyone - its Friday. I'm tired from lack of sleep and just plain feel yuckie, especially considering I had to get up at 5:45 a.m. to take dh to work so I could have the van today. UGH!!

Need to do a bunch of running around today, so not much will get down down on the homestead. I did a couple loads of wash yesterday so I need to fold and put away today.

Its going to be another hot one here, so no work outside, other than watering the flowerbeds later this evening.

I'm not cooking supper tonight, were eating out.

Thats the buzz on my little homestead for today.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Hi everyone!!

Today I have watered the garden, barn chores, driven Dylan for his paper route, washed and hung out two loads of laundry, made some cookies for the kids and vacumned the area rugs upstairs.

Later this morning we are going to town to the bank, drop off 2 more bags at Salvation Army (gather more stuff last night) and do some grocery shopping.

Will be spending more time in the garden tonight when it cools off.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good afternoon ladies:D Why is it I am gone two days and there is two weeks worth of Laundry piled up? Teenagers!
I have soup beans ready to cook and will make cornbread(central air) zillions of loads of laundry,and I'm too tired to care. Fibro and long road trips do not go together well.
I have also decided that we MUST do something about our finances,so I need to figure out how to get out of our lease and move somewhere cheaper! We can't continue as we have been. So wish me luck!
Thats it for the homestead today.:toothy:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, its Saturday and its a good morning to all of you. Its warm and windy here, and heres hoping it won't get as hot as yesterday. Dd woke me up telling me there was a bug in her room and all it was, was a piece of dirt on her wall. And here I was sleeping so nicely!!

Well yesterday was a day of shopping, so today I need to put some things away. Once dh is back from coffee, I plan on going into the nearest town, hitting both the farmer's market along with the thrift store.

Once back, depending on what I can get at the farmer's market, I plan on quilting the afternoon away. I got more film, so will do the rest of the Log cabin tutorial, then start on another block. I'm also working on another quilt, so want to get some of that done as well.

I've already cleaned out the kitty litter box, replaced it completely with new kitty litter. I love the clumping cat litter, but after awhile, it gets pretty gross. I also will take out some food to the mommy cat outside. She is a stray but has 4 little ones under our shed!!

Thats the buzz down on my homestead.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts