Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
What size are you moving from and moving to? We're leaving a 2800+ and going to a maybe 1100

·
Banned
96 Posts
Have some Garage Sales. Also, check into a table at the local flea market. Some flea markets will rent table space for as low as $10 a day

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
We downsized almost 600sf last year. Between selling the old place and buying the new, we were 'homeless' for about three months (living with our oldest DD) and only had our mattresses and clothing with us - EVERYTHING else in storage.
It was amazing when I finally started gradually unpacking - I barely remembered even owning some of that stuff. Seriously.
So MY advice would be to start boxing stuff up now. If you box up something you haven't laid your hands on in the past year - mark that box. It'll be one you'll more than likely get rid of in the downsize.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the less you have, the less you have to take care of!

Reactions: frugal is fun

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are already some really great suggestions in the above post ; something I like to do when i've downsized in the past has been to donate items to my local salvation army thrift store,

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
We're hoping to move "soon" (read that as some day before we keel over and push up daisies). When we go, we plan on bringing almost nothing with us and buying things as needed for the 'new place'.

Things we will take with us will be stored in another room and everything else will be in the house as an estate/tag/yard sale. Keeps us from having to lug things in and out and doesn't matter if it rains.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tips on downsizing

I have downsized a few times in the last 3 years, from a 3/2 home, to a 2/2 condo to a 1/1 condo. When I went from 2/2 to 1/1/ I advertised on Craiglist and sold almost all my furniture and other items I didn't want...then on Ebay I sold some expensive china and crystal that I had during marriage (now divorced) and dont' miss anything at all! It was quite liberating and financially 'freeing'. I did replace some of my furniture with pieces more suited for a smaller place and I bought those items on Craigslist. And also...remember to negotiate! Good luck!

·
Registered
715 Posts
We just downsized from 2500 to 600 sf.

The most important thing is to measure the new space to determine what will fit in advance!

I started listing my "Moving Sale" on craigslist about 3 weeks before my move and listed smaller items on Ebay.

The day before our move, I brought a carload of things that did not sell to a consignment shop.

I offered what was left to family, and then whatever was left over was picked up by a company who specializes in free junk removal. A few had contacted me through my craigslist ad.

It all went remarkably smooth and most everything fit in the new house! (I have a few boxes I still need to take to Goodwill)

Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much everyone for all your help. I am hopeing we can find somewhere 800-600sq feet. I have always been use to smaller spaces thats just me and I find it liberating too. All great suggestions. just need to get hubby on board now. TY

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
If it is feasible and you can get hubby on board, how about a trial run now? Can you close off any rooms in your current home and try living in a smaller space? I recently did that after realizing that I do just fine when I'm traveling, living out of a suitcase and maybe having a little suite kitchen to work with, but I somehow don't seem to have the room I need at home, where I am in a three-story home on ten acres!!

So, I set up my bedroom like a hotel suite, with the bath right next to it, and started trying to really utilize the space efficiently. I used the hotel room concept of making things do double duty, and after about a month, I don't even use the upstairs anymore, except for one room that acts as my garage (because I don't have one), where I keep tools and gardening stuff. Makes cleaning a lot easier!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just downsized from 2600 sq ft to 600 sq ft. THe quickest and easiest thing for me was bringing in an auction company who packed and loaded most everything and took it to their auction house and sold it. My surplus was gone in a day and then a couple weeks later the check came in the mail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.