Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kids are dropping like flies here with the flu. At the elementary/middle school my ds attends they had 160 absent yesterday and by lunch another 35 had left with flu symptoms. Ds said he had to go to the office to run an errand for a teacher and all the secretaries, etc. had on face masks. He said it freaked him out to walk in and see them like that. He didn't want to go to school today because he said he doesn't want to get the flu. And my dd tutors at that school for her after school job!

How are things in your area??? Are you taking any precautions to protect yourself? I've been changing the hand towels in the bathrooms every evening after the kids get in and wash their hands. I've also been spraying the doorknobs, light switches, faucets, etc. with Lysol a couple of times of day. And the kids are drinking 100% apple juice with 120% Vitamin C and taking vitamins every day!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The h1n1 flu is going around in our middle school right now. Last couple of weeks have been bad. My 14 yr old son had a sleep over on Oct. 10 and a Mom sent her son sick (very sick and she knew it). We couldn't get her to answer her phone so the poor kid had to stay here. It turns out that he had h1n1. All 4 of the other boys got sick and one other mom got really sick.

My Dh works at the health dept. and we got our h1n1 shots when the first batch came in. Now there are no vaccines around here at all. I am so thankful we were able to get ours.

I am spraying everything w/Lysol and using wipes on everything. I make my kids wash their hands first thing when they come in from school. I also am giving them vitamins. We are taking Emergence-C.

Our schools have no plans to close.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Also, sorry to post again. I am trying to shop early in the mornings when there will be less folks out there. And I am trying to keep a stockpile up in case we don't want to get out or can't get out to shop. I am trying to keep "sick foods" like soup, crackers, applesauce and medicines.

Reactions: nadine64 and QM

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's having a major effect on the sports playoffs up here. Teams are missing a lot of important players, and you can imagine that is just the talk of a small town when a football game is on the line :)

So far, no one has had to take drastic measures. They've started skipping post-game handshakes at some events, just in case.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I have my middle son home with the flu right now...... (the one in the blue hugging me in my avatar)

he has the fever, chills, runny nose, cough, and yesterday we added the diahreha and "barky-asthma" cough.

He has a dr appt in 2 hours

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Not sure what else you can do besides avoiding shaking hands or breathing in someone else's coughy germs if possible. Try to avoid being around sick people if you can. Kinda sounds mean but wise.

I wash my hands as soon as I get in the door, I use hand sanitizer a lot more now and use tissues to open public doors or hit the handicap button with my elbow. Sounds silly I know but its all about germs and surfaces.

Rest up, keep well hydrated, eat a balanced diet - less processed and refined foods/sugars so your body isn't stressed trying to process it.

Traci - I hope your lil has a speedy recovery!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
It's definitely hit here--- I'm in SW Ohio.

My neighbor's 3 year old and my babysitter's 9 year old have both been confirmed with H1N1 in the past week.

Our school sent home a letter saying that they have changed their sick leave policy--- parents are not to come in and get missed work. Sick students will be given extra days when they return to make up the work. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the office was getting overwhelmed with handing out homework.

My DD is home from school today. She was up a lot during the night with a deep cough and just acts exhausted. I am hoping that by staying home today and getting extra rest she will be able to fight this stuff off better. She is a Type I Diabetic... which is an autoimmune disease... so she is at high risk for the H1N1.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
There are 8 confirmed cases of H1N1 at the high school DD14 goes to.

DD missed the first 3 weeks of school with pneumonia. Then she missed 2 days last week with a sore throat. Many of you may have read about my hissy fit with the school board last week: they threatened to fine me for not sending my child to school.

DD woke up this morning very nauseous with the dry heaves. I sent her back to bed and took herr to school later at 11:30 when she was feeling better.

So then the same school that threatened to fine me for not sending her told her very brusquely that she should not have bothered coming in if she wasn't feeling well.

When I tried to call the pediatrician this morning to see about her nausea, I couldn't get through - the lines were busy for hours. I finally drove over to get on the doctors list of parents to call.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Well I went to work this morning and ended up leaving at noon to go to the doctor. I still have a light headache but I started having body aches so I figured I better get checked out. When I got to the doctor's office they had a sign on the door that if you had any flu symptoms, they named them, to please put a mask on while waitnig to see the doctor. I was there less than an hour and 8 other people came in and all of them grabbed a mask. Thankfully I don't have the flu, it's just my blasted allergies acting up. It cost me $50 to be told to just make sure I keep taking my asthma and allergy meds. :rolleyes: BTW the flu shot isn't available here, yet.

Cat

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I keep on debating on whether or no my kids and I should get the H1N1 flu shot. I keep flip flopping back and forth...very undecided. Right now I'm leaning towards yes because every other year we've always got the regular flu shot. Why not get the H1N1 flu shot?...other than the fact that it's so new and it's not tested as much. What to do?...What to do?...

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I have my middle son home with the flu right now...... (the one in the blue hugging me in my avatar)

he has the fever, chills, runny nose, cough, and yesterday we added the diahreha and "barky-asthma" cough.

He has a dr appt in 2 hours
Well, back from the doctor.
Yes, it's flu, but nothing "dreadful". The worst part was the cough that started up. His "asthma cough" was really the most difficult part. they gave him some meds in the office and gave m;e instructions on how to use his current asthma breathing meds to use for help with the flu (which, as it turns out, is differnet than the way you use them for his allergy-asthma).

anyway, I haven't given him any motrin or tylonol for about 6 hours and the fever hasn't returned. Maybe we are already on the down side of this thing? frustrating, maybe didn't need to trek him into the dr....oh well, if I hadn't, he'd probably be worse right now (as my luck usually goes!) :)

Reactions: QM

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I got a call to pick up my 6 year old yesterday with a cough. No fever, just your average cold. I do appreciate the schools being pro-active to minimize the sickness.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I only know of two people that have had the swine flu. Both were mild and only lasted a couple of days. Nine people have died in Harris county "officially" from the swine flu.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
2 people from one of my classes and one person from another have gotten H1N1...all are fine now... No shots available here...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Two of my kids were hit hard with flu/colds recently, but are better now. What is hard to understand is when I took my son to the doctor they ran a test for the swine flu. The results were back in 15 minutes, and showed that he didn't have it. The doctor said that it wasn't a very accurate test though, so I'm not sure what to think. :shrug2: At least the rest of the family managed not to get it! We think my son picked up whatever he had at the Homecoming dance as many kids got sick right after it. And there have been 4 confirmed cases of swine flu on our street that I know of.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I hope it is short lived. We are seeing some flu here but nothing too bad (hopefully it stays that way!)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There have been so many confirmed cases of swine flu here that when my sister's four step-kids had it week before last they tested for flu, but not a specific kind. They said every case had been confirmed H1N1 so they had stopped even checking for the strain. All four kids had just sore throats, fever, coughing and one day of body aches. They were all better in 3 or 4 days other than a little cough that lingered a few days.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ok, I'm a worrywort anyways, but things like conflicting information is so frustrating to me concerning the H1N1. My work handed out flyers indicating the differences between cold/seasonal flu/H1N1. I've been sick for the past week and according to the sheet I just had a cold. Then I go on the CDC website tonight and the symptoms I have fall under H1N1. Jeeze. I just don't know what to do. Do I call my doctor? Do I wait it out a few more days? Also, have stood in line 2x now for the vaccine with my kids and both times they've run out. Going to try again this weekend.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
We can't get clinic appointments here for the flu. You either have to go to the ER or wait it out at home because they're not risking you bringing it in to the clinic.

It's hit everyone here except me. I've tried to get it. I've eaten after them, slept next to them, held them etc... I can't seem to catch it. I just feel like I need to get it over with.

My oldest two are sleeping it off right now. They both started getting sick yesterday and I imagine they'll be okay by the end of the day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.