Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~What are some dry materials that go into a compost pile? I've been shredding all the black and white papers I get but I'm unsure about colored papers. How about printed cardboard? I don't get a newspaper or use enough paper towels to meet the recommended balance of organic and dry materials. Junk mail seems to be all glossy and I thought that was a no-no as well. Any ideas?~

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thank you for that link. I just got some orange fencing to make a compost area in our yard and that list gave me some great things to start saving! I already do newspaper (I use it for cat litter),coffee grounds and egg shells.
I think we are goinng to work on this today. What is your first layer? Our compost pile will be in the yard so earth is underneath whatever the first layer is.. Should it be leaves or kitchen stuff, newspaper..

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
The first layer should be the coarsest material you have. This allows more air in the bottom layer.

·
Registered
645 Posts
compost happens it really does not have to be that much work... yes the layers help but when you turn it they get mixed together anyway.... In the fall all we have are leaves ( we do not bag our grass) and you know those leaves break down just fine with out any green.... in the summer all I have is green and it breaks down also besides a good share of the green dries out and becomes brown before it breaks down....

word of warning do not put the used newspapers into the compost after your cat uses them .... those need to go in the trash not the compost. cat dog and human waste should never go in a compost... other animals like rabbit droppings are safe. I suppose it is the diet and the parisites they can carry.

·
Registered
472 Posts
word of warning do not put the used newspapers into the compost after your cat uses them .... those need to go in the trash not the compost. cat dog and human waste should never go in a compost... other animals like rabbit droppings are safe. I suppose it is the diet and the parisites they can carry.
LOL! Thank you, I would never do that. LOL
I will use the clean shredded paper.
I think that is my coarsest layer, besides twigs and leaves. so that is my first layer? Then the kitchen scrapes,then leaves and twigs?
Man, I feel so incompetent! LOL

·
Registered
977 Posts
We just start with a pile of leaves and add from there... very little work and turns out wonderfully well. We have 4 compost heaps (one in each corner of the garden) and we put all the old vegetation in there (the sugar snap pea vines after we've harvested the seeds and the broccoli plants now that the heads are gone will be next to go in). I have been known to gather worms floating in mud puddles and toss them on the pile. But, otherwise, we don't put that much work into it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want free newpapers, Go to your local newpaper office, they generally will give you some old issues (bundles) free. Mine did, I also used it for weed control in garden. good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts