Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how much does it cost to run your dryer? I have the opportunity to line dry and am thinking about it. I run the dryer currently about twice a day and it's "energy star" rated. :laundry:

·
8,714 Posts
~Mine costs about $.75 to dry each load. My dryer uses 5 KW per hour and our electricity is high(.11 per KWH winter/ .14 summer). I wash big loads so it used to often take 70 minutes to dry. I air dry my clothes now. I do about 5 loads a week so I save about $20 a month by air drying. HTH!~

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Electricity rates are different all over the country. The web site for electric company should give you the average cost for you live. If not contact them and they will tell you.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I researched this about two years ago. Then information I found varied from 37c to $1 per load.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I think it does save a lot, pennies do add up. I know different rates for regions/companies do vary and peak times they charge more - ie: when you're awake in the day when energy consumption is high. I usually do my laundry bout 11pm - its only one load and its hung to dry.

The only thing with line drying is pre-planning and co-ordinating your outfits so you have everything ready at the same time. And be sure you have enough undies LOL

I try to do my wash and then dry on a rack usually on a Thursday night b/c we have casual Friday's at work...jean day. So all the work clothes will be clean and ready to go for Monday-Thursday and DRY...for me in the basement it takes about 24-36 hrs for a completely dried pair of pants or a top. (And if there's enough of a pile, I will wash my casual clothes from the weekend and jammies plus towels on a Monday/Tuesday night so they're dried and ready for weekend)

Its just a matter of trial and error and figuring the blance that works best for you. I do toss mine into the dryer for about 5 mins to fluff them after taking them off the hangers and drying rack b/c they are a bit 'crunchy' LOL.

Of course my dad who's now 76 yrs old thinks Im nuts for trying to save money by not using the dryer but I do use it, just not to dry the entire load - I just use to fluff so it is necessary/handy at times. He's from the war times so he understands where Im coming from - he died laughing when I first told him I did my wash in cold water - but hes trying to subtly tell me its ok, we can afford to have it and use it. But again...I DO use it dad! :lol:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! Wow, close to $1 per load. I don't even want to think how many loads I do per a month.. I've started to hang dry the ones that don't need to be soft (we can't use fabric softener but use dryer balls) like kitchen towels, cleaning rags etc. I still have to throw the cloth diapers in the dryer for at least 30min to make them fluffier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts