Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever dried any meats?
Now, I am very aware of beef jerky.
I have dried cooked hamburger (hamburger rocks).
But, have any of you ever dried other meats? I have canned some meats like chicken and ham and some beef. But I am trying to venture on some dried meats. :shrug2:

I would love some input or guidance if any of you have ventured forward on this topic.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I gather that you are asking about just the plain drying meat factor.............NOT like jerky.

I have no help--- but when someone answers I want to know what they do with it after they dry it? What do they use it in? How or with what do they eat it?

Somehow I just can't picture 're-hydrating' meat....so???

Is this what you meant?

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
I use cheap cuts of meat - thin sliced round steak, etc. . . . dry til leathery. To rehydrate, I pour boiling water over it, and let it sit for about 30 minutes or so. Then toss into whatever soup I happen to be making at the time.

For the Zuni traveling food - I dry the meat until it's brittle. . . . powder it in my food processor, then add to the mix. Then it's just add the mix to boiling water and drink.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sunshine,
what kind of food processor do you have that you are able to grind your dried meat into powder?

frugalfanny, you got the idea.
I am just thinking more and more about not being so reliant on the deep freezer.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i dry chicken,beef.and sometimes ill go to wally world super center and buy a round boneless precooked ham and cut thin and in slices and dry to put up -everything i dry i vacuum pack for storage except the chicken -that goes into the soup starter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.