Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spoken before about how I have a living room with a balcony and that's where I dry my clothes in the winter, now here's a pic so you can see what I mean. I have 3 racks, newest one is my fav (middle one) it's from my MIL's home and she gave it to me this year. It's a nice old wooden (boy they used to make things to last) one made of wooden dowels that opens & closes easily and has no hardware to be seen on it. It's ages old & I like to think about who's clothes have been dried on it. Hubby's baby clothes... soak & wet mittens from building snowmen when he was young? I love stuff like that, big fan of old wooden things, spoons etc., just touching them makes me wonder...

I can get 1 load on the racks and it dries in less than a day with that nice fire going. You can see Riley in his fav spot in pic too.
The racks go up against the wall when not in use, 2 of them folding to do so. We don't use the bedrooms upstairs anymore (just when kids or company comes) so they aren't in our way.
I haven't used the dryer in ages.:thumb:

Do you hang your laundry in the winter too? How?

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
We hang ours too. . .

When we moved here, the elderly lady before us, had strung lines in the rafters of the basement. . .so for years I hung mine there too.

Now that my boys are grown and have moved out I put retractable lines in their old room (only used as a guest room, laundry drying room now). I have 3 lines that go across the room, and I can retract them when guests are here.

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice set up Denise. :thumb:
We used to hang ours in the basement too but last year we had to replace a part in our furnace due to moisture problems so didn't want to add to the problem. Being able to acquire a couple more drying racks this year solved our problem plus it all dries so much faster up there. It's amazing how much you can hang in such a small amount of space.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use drying racks in the guest bedroom. It's hard when I have guests stay because all the drying racks in my bedroom.
Last year I set up a laundry rack were I hang up shirts and jeans in the basement for the clothes that take 2 days to dry.

I have used the drier a few times this year for bedding but it is less then 5 times total. My gas bill is so much lower that I would never go back. I also think the clothes last longer as someone has stated before what do you think is in the lint filter ?

·
19,119 Posts
Love the drying racks Darlene and your memories of what probably was!! I hang clothes on hangers in our downstairs bethroom - use the dryer for sheets and towels since we cannot dry things outside.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Love the wooden drying racks...mine are the like the one on the left. I have two. I think they were btwn $5-$10 when I bought them originally and have had them for EONS now. I did buy one huge expanding wire rack one. It only gets pulled out for something HUGE but I hang most of my clothes and only use the dryer for unmentionables, socks & towels (ok a few pj's too :lol:) I set mine up in the basement hallway across from the furnace/laundry room and most things dry overnight or by a day and a half.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I hang a few things but not much. Have one drying rack.

I use a lot of fleece and flannel........and don't like how they feel if they aren't dried. I don't have a lot of laundry either.........so that helps.

·
Registered
382 Posts
By my daughters school there is a house where they always hang thier clothes on the clothesline. I look for it everyday. One morning when I dropped her off the clothes werent out there. I was so sad lol but when I went to pick her up at noon they were up :) I thought, they must have gotten a late start this morning. Its so funny how I depend on seeing those clothes on the line, and then about halfway home on the drive there is a field of cows that is also just beautiful. Its funny how the more simple something is the more joy I get from it. So I get ya Darlene on the joy of the old clothes rack :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have a very large drying rack that a friend of mine made me that is smack dab in the middle of my living room, well its tucked in a corner. In the winter I put it in front of the radiator.

I need to get a few new dowels for it as they have warped.

The old woman who lived in my house put up lines in the basement too. I tired it once and although the clothes did dry they had the musty smell so I don't use it.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I need to get some drying racks, I have a balcony like Darlene but ours isn't open w/slats. They sell the drying racks all over town here. But they are expensive. about $30. We don't have a wood burning stove. We do use kerosene when it's really cold.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Dryers are not common here, so I hang my clothes year round on 2 drying racks. Outside in warmer weather and near the wood burning stove in cold weather.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I only use the drying racks for drying anything not going in the dryer. This place is just to small to try and use only racks to dry my clothes. I get upset when there is to much clutter all over the place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.