Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me a few hours to adjust and accept it. I have a major headache from crying on and off for 2 hours straight. I did better when he moved out after high school....he eventually moved back in. But I didn't even cry when he left then. I don't know why I feel the way I do now. Maybe it is the thought that now there is a possibility he may be in Iraq. I honestly do not know how mother's of military families get through this.....sending your young child going off to boot camp.

I pray he is mentally strong enough to make it through this. His recruiter was kind enough to give us his mailing address this morning before he got on the shuttle bus to go to Dallas to fly to San Diego. I have already written him his first of many letters.

He was a little nervous before he boarded the bus. He said he was excited and nervous at the same time. I know he will be scared for the first few weeks, especially the first few days. I know I would anyway!! Everyone I talk to tells me that Marine boot camp is the hardest of all the military boot camps. Even my uncle and brother who are navy and air force told me that. My uncle also said that if he had it to do over he would have chosen the marines which made me proud that my son made that decision.

I am very proud of him! I just hopes he makes it through in 13 weeks and not 15. I miss him already.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Marine boot camp is supose to be the hardest. My youngest son's friends most of then went Marines. They told me it was a piece of cake. My son is at the Naval Acadamy. He' be an officer in the Marines. His best friend was just excepted at the Naval Acdamy. He was in the Marines already. Also he had been to Iraq......... Your son will do just fine. You know the Marines only take the best of the best. San Diego is nice this time of year. I'm about 3 hours away from there.
Fern

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
My Dh was in the Marine Corp.. I know I'm not his mom but I wanted to say the day he left I cried for hours and the days to follow ..I feel your pain.. ..All I can say is write,write and write to him it will be his only contact with you for a little while..I pray that he doesn't have to go to Iraq either...
((HUGS))

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Fern for the update on the weather. I worried about that too cause I know they will be outdoors doing drills.

Brenda, I think wives have it hard too. I don't know how wives do it either. I hate when my husband goes away on a business trip for a few days or weeks. I couldn't stand it for months at a time. I think military wives and families are special because of the trials and tribulations they must face.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Considering my oldest boy is just 5, I have no idea of what you're going through. I just wanted to send you a big hug!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I feel for you. I will be in your shoes in a few months when my ds1 goes to boot camp for the Marines as well. Keep thinking positive.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
My son who's 17 thought about going into the Marines, instead he is going to college, I dont know what your going through but I am sending many many hugs your way. Take it easy! :hugz:

·
27,948 Posts
Big hug Michelle. I know you're proud & scared at the same time. So many emotions. Your young man is about to become his own Man.
Mom to Mom big time hug.:hugz:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Oh Michelle, I have no idea what you are going through either, but wanted to add my :hug2:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Michelle :hug2: I know it's going to be a long few months for you. I still remember vividly the weeks my son was in boot camp. I cried all the time. It's going to be ok :smooch:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I'll say a prayer for him. :hugz:

I was worried about my dh when he went away to Ft. Benning, but everything was ok. He was an officer's kid, so they were harder on him and he still made it through ok.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
First, allow me to say thank you to your son. His courage is what keeps the United States of America the most wonderful place in the world to live.
Second, Marine Corps bootcamp is by far the hardest (I've heard this from many sources, not just those in the Corps). However, he will come home a MAN. A wonderful, sensitive, understanding, mature, strong, courageous MAN. If you thought he was great before he left, wait until you see him on graduation day.
My Dad spend 30 years in the Corps. My DH was in for 6.
What MOS did he go in under?
You're a great Mom. You're supposed to worry, that's what we do. It only shows how much you care.
Hang in there. He will be/do great! Before you know it, he will be home on leave and telling you all about his very first duty station.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I know what you are going through. My oldest joined up during dessert storm. It was the worst thing i had ever gone through. it was wonderful for him. He missed us very much too. After his time was up he got married to a wonderful girl from nc. They have blessed us with a sweet little grand-daughter. He went back in when all this mess started up again. He didn't see any action because he had a medical discharge. Good for me but bad for him, he wanted to go! I'm so proud of him and his willingness to lay his life on the line for my freedom. I thank the Lord for you and your son too!! I'll be praying for you all!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
:hug2:

It's so awesome that your son enlisted to serve our country. It takes a great man to stand up like that. I know because my husband is one of them. :)

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I'm checking in from my Mariine son's house in Sc -- he just got home from being deployed for the first tihme.

As long as your son realizes that the drill instructors (DI's) are going to try to mess with their heads, he'll be fine. My son's recruiter told him straight up, how it would be, and it was. . . .and is. . . no surprises for my son --- it WAS hard, but he knew it would be --- but it's not impossible.

PM me if you want to chat.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all. I have finally come to terms with it and am dealing with it much better. He did call Monday night to let us know he made it. He was allowed one 20 second phone call.

His recruiter was very up front with him about how hard it would be and even showed him videos of how hard the drill instructors are. He did go into it with his eyes open knowing it would be hard. I just hope he was mentally ready. He said he was.

I am ready for graduation day. Hopefully it will be April 20th if all goes well. We will have to wait and see. His recruiter said if anything would change, it would be in the first month.....injuries, etc.

On a side note, I would like to express my gratitude to all the men and women who serve our country.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just keep the letters coming and don't sending anything that is a no no since well they can get in trouble. I know dh had to do push ups because he go so many letters lol...Right now they just need your support.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts