Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
~I experimented this week with using Bath & Body Works mist spray as a fragrance additive. I have 8 half-full to almost full bottles to use up. 1 teaspoon in a large load gave a nice, fresh scent to my towels. It wasn't really obvious like detergent or softener scents are but it does work nicely!
I wouldn't buy it just for this purpose($.10 per load on sale)but it's a way to use up what you have. Other people might even give you the ones they don't use if you ask around.~

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have made this soap and added baking soda to it. Works great if you have clothes that smell. I used it on all of the grand daughters baby clothes worked great and all their clothes smelled so good. I love this soap I make up the 5 gallon bucket then use about a tablespoon or so per load it works great I have a front loader HE machine and my machine does not even have that sour smell it gets with regular laundry soap.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have made this soap and added baking soda to it. Works great if you have clothes that smell. I used it on all of the grand daughters baby clothes worked great and all their clothes smelled so good. I love this soap I make up the 5 gallon bucket then use about a tablespoon or so per load it works great I have a front loader HE machine and my machine does not even have that sour smell it gets with regular laundry soap.
Could you add the soda when making the soap, or do you only add it with each load?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, it finally happened. I FINALLY ran out of detergent from when I made it (my first batch ever) back in MARCH. 7 months of laundry out of my mix! I think all told, it cost $12 for all the supplies. So I paid about $1.71 per month for laundry. Figuring on how many loads I do on average, it was about $0.04 per load.

This time, I had washing soda and borax left over. 5 gallons cost me $1.68 for the soap. That'll be about $0.19 a month, about $0.004 per load.

LOVE it. I've added essential oils, but they don't seem to have lasting fragrance on the clothes, so I no longer bother. I double the recipe, except I just put it in one 5 gallon bucket, and then dillute more when I make each bottle. Thanks so much FV and FV members for this hugely money saving recipe!

I also like that it is so environmentally friendly. No sulfates/ites. VERY little packaging, just one box of soda, one box of borax, and paper wrapped soap, all biodegradable. Little carbon footprint since the ingredients stretch for so long. I couldn't be happier with all the aspects!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
my husband is a diehard gain lover. We have been married 3 months and I have been using this homemade laundry soap and he thinks it is better. He thinks it is because of my water. BTW, he doesn't know it is homemade. I won't say a word!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just literally read everything in this thread. You all have inspired me to try to make my own laundry soap. but it will have to wait a little while. If i make the powder how much of it do i add to my washer? I am using the old fashioned top loader machines. Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The only problem I've had with this recipe has been it refuses to gel. I let it sit for two days, then added the original amounts of dry ingredients to the bucket. That gelled. The soap worked just fine and I'm needing to make more. I know I'm using a five gallon bucket, and I don't believe I added more than five gallons of water to the original mix. So, should I try the original recipe again, or double my soap, borax, and washing soda ingredients all at once?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My sister has gotten into making her own soap too. She'll make like 5 gallons at a time & she'll fill containers to pass around to the family. I haven't had to BUY laundry soap for several months now. It does a pretty good job too! Doesn't lather as much, but it sure does clean well. :laundry:

·
8,714 Posts
~I made some detergent, using this liquid recipe and started using it the first week of April. I was unsure if one Zote bar was equal to a Fels Naptha bar since the FN is a much smaller bar(5.5oz) so I guessed they were equal products bar to bar not ounce to ounce. I made 1/5 a recipe since I only had a one gallon jug to store the jelled concentrate.

3oz grated Zote(bars are 14oz)
1/5 cup washing soda
1.5 TB borax
6.5 ounces water

I am very, VERY happy with it. It smells great, cleans great and is even cheaper than the loss-leader bottles I used to buy.
I didn't think this recipe would save me money since I was using just 4 bottles of detergent a year that I generally purchased for $1.50-2 each($6-8 yearly cost for about 260 loads).
But after buying my ingredients at Walmart(washing soda $3 box, borax $7 box and Zote $1)and figuring how many batches I could get out of them, I discovered that it costs less than $.01 a load(X 260 loads= $2.60 yearly cost projected) for the homemade detergent. The savings may seem small but other advantages are less shopping, hauling, plastic bottle waste, dyes, perfumes and chemicals.
I highly recommend that people try this recipe!~
~I no longer have a gallon jug to use these proportions. I do have two of the standard 75oz jugs they put out now. 75 ounces is .6 of 128 ounces/gallon so here's the way I will make enough concentrate for one jug:
.6 ounces grated Fels Naptha(or 1.8 ounces Zote)
1/8 cup washing soda
1 TB Borax
4 ounces water
Cost? $.30!~

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanks nuisance! I really appreciate this.

When DD1 moves out in a month or so, I will make my own. She's into the 'brand name' detergent.

I'm a bit confused.. what kind of jug do you use? do you re-use a previous brand name jug? or do you buy something at the hardware store? like those 5 or 10 gallon containers I see workers using to mix stuff in? (paint, spackle, etc)

Cheers!

81 - 92 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.