Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~One good thing about the lot being developed by me is the open dumpsters full of unwanted construction materials. Look at what I picked over three weekends:

1-IMG_3733.jpg

About 12 pieces have nails in them or cement on them, but those will burn for camping trips this summer. :) At least $50 of usable materials there. And they've only started on 4 of the 89 houses. So future diving looks promising.

Already know what I'm going to do with this first batch of freebies, build a step-stool to help with future diving, and a lumber storage rack! :p ~

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
~Yeah, I might pull nails, might not. Depends on how much ready-to-use lumber I scrounge over the next few months and how many/what kind of projects I'm doing. A bundle of firewood for camping is $5 so 2, 2X4s worth of pieces with nails in them is still a great use for us.

I'm building the lumber rack right now, just having lunch while my saw batteries charge. I'm using this plan, but I shortened and lowered it a bit: http://cdn1.tmbi.com/TFH/Step-By-Step/display/FH03FEB_SSTWOR_08.jpg Mine will look a lot uglier as I'm using all free materials as I get them. Oh well, still functional.~

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
WTG!! I could use some of theose 2x4's! How lucky are you? Love you plans too! Boy are you going to have fun!

You can build that privacy fence around your yard and hot tub now.

Reactions: nuisance26

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
~Yesterday's haul:

1-IMG_3743.jpg

The nails are mostly so sunk in on one side and so bent over on the other side that it is proving extremely difficult to remove any. Maybe I'll figure out a technique to make it easier.

But I picked a lot of pieces yesterday with no nails at all, including almost perfect, full length 2X4s and 1X4s. I have no idea why someone would have put those in the dumpster. Score!~

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
~Oh, and I'm improving my picking technique. Most of this stuff was halfway down or more in the dumpsters. I follow the rules, not climbing on or in. So from the outside, on my stepstool, I use a shorter cut of lumber like an oar to snag and move a piece I want, drawing it up the side where I can grab it with my grippy gloves. It's a fantastic workout. I snagged all the stuff in the last post from 6 dumpsters in about 30 minutes. :) ~

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I was reading on Facebook on a Tiny House group. There's a couple people at least who this is how they've both built the framework for their tiny houses. At LEAST the framework. They also found stray stuff like odds and ends plumbing, electrical etc. They had pennies in framing by being patient.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
whoohoo! Amazing what people throw away!! WTG!!

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
~Got another huge pile last night. Most of it was small 2X6 and 2X4 with no nails in them. Perfect campfire pieces and for the crates I'll be making. Got half a dozen 1/4 length sheets of exterior grade plywood. And about 8 long 2X4 scraps or badly nailed pieces.

It was easy picking too as the dumpsters were full to the top. :)

I'm thinking over my "need" for a table saw. Only have a circular saw right now and it's slow going, especially for any long cuts. I'd love to be able to rip some of those short 2X4s into lathe strips for my planter privacy panels and for 1X4 pieces I need for a deck table I'm building this summer. I also have some home projects coming up that use thin plywood sheets as faux paneling on doors. So the saw would have lasting value for other projects. But at $200 for a basic one, I'm going to have to think about it for a while.~

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
~Got another huge pile last night. Most of it was small 2X6 and 2X4 with no nails in them. Perfect campfire pieces and for the crates I'll be making. Got half a dozen 1/4 length sheets of exterior grade plywood. And about 8 long 2X4 scraps or badly nailed pieces.

It was easy picking too as the dumpsters were full to the top. :)

I'm thinking over my "need" for a table saw. Only have a circular saw right now and it's slow going, especially for any long cuts. I'd love to be able to rip some of those short 2X4s into lathe strips for my planter privacy panels and for 1X4 pieces I need for a deck table I'm building this summer. I also have some home projects coming up that use thin plywood sheets as faux paneling on doors. So the saw would have lasting value for other projects. But at $200 for a basic one, I'm going to have to think about it for a while.~
Check Craigslist for a table saw. They are always on there around here.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Also check SA or goodwill, Dh picked one up at an estate sale for $2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts