soup
pot roast sometimes
stew
I deep fry in it
it's so lovely:)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I have a couple and I love them! I use mine for soups, stews, chili, spaghetti sauce.....and lots of other stuff! It probably is the one pot/pan I use most often!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never had one and don't know much about them. I've just recently discovered them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I love to deep fry in mine the size and weight of a GOOD heavy dutch oven maintains fat temp very VERY well

·
4,028 Posts
I have two and I love them. I do everything from brown meats in them to sauces to soups/stews and cook my pasta as well. It is the most versatile pot I own.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I like to brown a roast in it and then toss it in the oven & forget about it. We've done stews in it. Lots of hearty meals. I love it!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have two differently sized ones and it depends on how much of something I am making as to which one I use. I make soups, stews, barbecue beef, sausage and peppers, chilies, etc. I just love them :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
We would be totally lost if not for all of our cast iron and dutch ovens! We have quite a collection, pretty much everything you need for a kitchen. I can honestly say that once you get your iron seasoned just right, it will be your favorite cooking pot/pan ever.
We don't only use them for home but for camping and cooking over the wood fire. Some of the best meals we ever made was over the fire!
If your looking for some excellent recipes... check out Bryon's Dutch Oven Cooking website. Since I havent posted more than 15 times I can not post a link :( but just Google it and it will come right up.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have the dutch oven and the frying pans to.
Was just looking at them. I have been using the
crock pot so much I have used them recently.
You have inspired me.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I don't have a dutch oven (want one) but I do have two cast iron frying pans that I would not trade for the world. They are the best for making omelettes and tortillas.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just pulled one out of the box that my husband got last year for his bday from his parents. It isn't seasoned yet, but it's a good size and has the "basting lid" with the little spikes on the top to drip down moisture while it cooks. I can't wait to use it on a (cheap) roast and have it be tender.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
OMG, I have three. They are the greatest things. I make casseroles and bechamel sauces mainly.

I would make soups in them, but, **big sigh** they are too small for my family. I have to use my 5 gallon soup pot for soups.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Cast iron is the best...I use mine for everything from scrambled eggs and fried cornmeal mush at breakfast to soups, stews, polenta and pasta sauces for lunch/dinner to pineapple upside down cake or fresh homemade donuts for dessert. I have been scouring garage sales and thrift stores trying to find a lid for the dutch oven I inherited so that I can start using it to bake artisan bread. I have a lot of cast ironware it just makes cooking much more pleasant and consistent and you have the added benefit of not having to take an iron supplement.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'm like everyone else! I love my cast iron. I cook everything in mine.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have 7..from a cornish hen to a 22# turkey..we use ours for everything..stew, soup, roast, of course turkey, chicken, cornish hen,chili, inside and out...couldn't cook with out the cast iron...Love it..

·
Registered
763 Posts
I love mine too, this post brought up a good memory for me!
about 5-6 years ago we were up bear hunting, I was so pissed at my Mom for keeping me in camp one day because I wanted to be hunting, but she taught me how to make biscuits in the dutch oven. It was awesome, getting the coals ready all day and then burrying it in them to make them!
Thank you for posting this, that is an awesome memory and a dang good recipe too!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I have a smaller one that I use pretty much the same way everyone else has posted. I got it for free when I helped a friend clean out his grandfather's house. His grandfather was a major pack-rat, to the point of being O/C, and this little dutch oven was one of his dusty finds stuffed away with a bunch of other stuff. I ooh'ed over it, and I ended up with it, some leaded glass, and a bunch of old cookbooks as payment for helping to get the house cleaned out (and also helping at the garage sale). I love mine, and I would like to get a bigger one, but I made the mistake of pricing them at Lehmann's and YOW, they are expensive!! :(

·
2,688 Posts
We have a cast iron one, and it gets used a LOT :)
We used to take it with us, when we went camping.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts