Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of frugal folks use only cold water in the laundry to save money on their water bills. This is one of those frugal steps I've never been able to take, myself-- I've always felt there are just certain items (underwear, in particular) that need hot or at least warm water washes in order for me to feel that they are really clean.

Well, it turns out that even water temperature isn't enough to kill some cooties-- check out this article on the Blissfully Domestic blog about e-coli in washing machines. Ick!! :surprise:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Yuck! I've never been able to do cold water in my whites, towels or sheets! I've always used hot water!!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Er, my mom taught me to wash in warm or hot water. I never wash in cold for anything....so far..

But she always hung her clothes on the line. I am a dryer person.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I use hot water and bleach and OXICLEAN (sorry, couldn't help myself...that guy and his yelling....) in my towels, sheets and whites, colored underwear.... I know we're not ever gonna kill all the germies but ya can't fault a girl for tryin' :D

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I do wash towels and undies in hot water, but all the rest in cold.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i wash some in cold and some in hot, but i periodically spritz my machine with diluted bleach for this reason, im sure its not saving us but i figure every llittle bit helps. maybe a drop of tea tree oil in the wash not enough to ruin stuff but enough to kill germs i dunno

also line drying, doesnt the sun kill some germs?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I use hot water & bleach for whites & I use Colorox2 for colors for all others.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
ok, all you germophobes, ain't gonna kill 'ya!

don't worry about it! ain't dead yet....:)

don't kill your immune system by making things too clean. let your kids roll around in the dirt, don't use antibacterial products.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I know a lot of frugal folks use only cold water in the laundry to save money on their water bills. This is one of those frugal steps I've never been able to take, myself-- I've always felt there are just certain items (underwear, in particular) that need hot or at least warm water washes in order for me to feel that they are really clean.

Well, it turns out that even water temperature isn't enough to kill some cooties-- check out this article on the Blissfully Domestic blog about e-coli in washing machines. Ick!! :surprise:
I usually add 1/2 a cup of vinegar to the wash instead of fabric softener, so I'm not too worried about it.:sun:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have always used bleach to kill germs in the kitchen,bathroom and laundry.I also have a spray bottle with bleach and water to spray the drains.Saw that on Montel.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I do use hot water and bleach for whites. I use cold water for all else. I make sure that when I am doing whites, I get one of the dish rags(which are all white for the purpose of killing germs in the wash), and wipe down the entire inside of the washing machine that isn't gotten during reg. laundry... For example the underside of the lid, and along the edges of the machine. I too use bleach in the bathroom, and wipe down all the counters once a day for germs. I don't like using much antibacterial anthing around the house. I want my kids natural immune system to be used as much as possible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts