Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my son busted his head open at school last year, nearly 8 months later i finally get the bill. last i knew, we had a $100 e.r. co pay, so when i open the bill and see what they're actually billing me for i was slightly upset. since ive had so many problems with their billing, i was furious as i was calling them to tell them they yet again screwed up on my bill. according to them, everything was correct. so i called the insurance, just knowing they were going to tell me they hadn't paid everything yet.... i was wrong. as of 1/07, our co payment has now gone up to $250 dollars. ok if my son banged his head in 06, why was i not charged the $100?? is it not retro active??

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I would think your co-pay should be the amount it was at the time of your son's injury, because that is when the medical service took place. It doesn't make sense to increase your co-pay on old charges.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think I would challenge the insurance company on this one. You are responsible for the copay at the date services are rendered and not at the time the claim was processed.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I agree, the co-pay should have been the amount you would have paid when your son had the injury (date of service), I would fight it and call them back.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Challenge the insurance company on this one. This kinda stuff happens all the time. I think (I am not sure) but I think their is a government agency that regulates insurance companies. You could politely ask for a supervisor and politely (very sweetly) ask where to take your complaint next and if there is such an agency.

My father is elderly and does get confused sometimes. He bought extra life insurance he really didn't need. I called the agency and did complain. I asked for a supervisor and when I got no where, I asked if their was a government agency that I could take my complaint to. They said they didn't know, my reply was you may as well tell me because I will find out. My father life insurance was put back the way it was and the money refunded. The insurance company did not want the appearance of wrongdoing.

When my husband and I refinanced our house we had difficulty with getting the paperwork done. The mortgage broker doing our refinance kept delaying everything. Finally I called the company, to make a long story short the broker misrepresented himself. I complained and wrote a letter to the attorney general of that state. Our refinance went through in a week or so and we were charged no refinance fees.

Halloweenfreak what is happening to you is one of my pet peeves. It happens all the time. Fight back.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I also would challenge the insurance company. It's not fair to apply the new deductible to an old charge.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The copay that was in effect at the time of the injury is what you are responsible for. They cannot charge you for a fee increase that happened after the treatment was incurred. The governing agency is the State Insurance Commisioner. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
374 Posts
when my husband died I kept getting statements from the insurace company about unpaid charges. I noticed that they all seemed alike so I called the insurance company and of course they had me call the hospital. Well after aboaut 15 minutes of argueing withe hospital that he was never even there that day ( he died in the E.R, for crying out loud) I finally found out the the hospital had double billed his insurance company and that they would take care of it. I called and let the insurance company know. Turns out the hospital never did call. And they wonder why insurance rates are so high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts