Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's seriously a blast!

Not really. :(

I had a cold that started before Christmas and every morning, I woke up with fluid draining from my right ear. I thought it was just part of the cold. Fast forward to the 26th and my ear just outright hurt! I got dizzy when trying to blow my nose. :( So I walked all the way over to the walk-in clinic this morning (this being after I cried for three hours) and guess what...

they're closed!

They're actually closed until January 2nd. Oh joy! I certainly do not want to sit in the emergency room for five hours to get a prescription that I could have gotten at the walk-in clinic. So here I sit, Ultra Tylenol in my system and a ginger ale in my hand, trying to sit up straight enough to do some budgeting work with DH and pay a couple of bills.

I don't even want to look at food. :(

· Registered
1,910 Posts
I'm sorry you are feeling so bad! Have you tried taking anything to help dry up all of the mucus? That might help. How about laying a heating pad on the lowest setting?

I hope you start feeling better soon!

· Registered
54 Posts
OMG I so hear you, i just got back from the doctors and pharmacy. Ear Infection and Sinus infection. My ear has hurt for the last couple of days so bad I finally broke down and called the DR. I soooo feel for you right now. I hope you feel better.

Reactions: MomToTwoBoys

· Registered
7,127 Posts
...I certainly do not want to sit in the emergency room for five hours to get a prescription that I could have gotten at the walk-in clinic. So here I sit, Ultra Tylenol in my system and a ginger ale in my hand, trying to sit up straight enough to do some budgeting work with DH and pay a couple of bills...(
I've had an ear infection a couple times in the last two years. All I know that to me it's 100% worth sitting for 5 hours in the emergency room to get antibiotics and head towards the road to recovery!!! Hope you feel better soon!

· Registered
3,906 Posts
If you have fresh garlic in the house, take a clove or two and bash them until they are mush. Then, put them in a piece of cheesecloth or one of those really thin kitchen towels and squeeze the juice into your ear. It hurts, but it gets rid of the infection.

· Registered
1,300 Posts
Fresh ginger will take out the swelling and help a bit with the pain....Sudafed is awesome for dryin up that fluid, I used to get them so bad that they would build up pressure from the liquid and them rupture in the middle of the night with bloody liquid, scared the absolute crap out of me, and hurt like nothing else, I'd rather have been in labor!!!
The doc told me to take the sudafed to dry up the sinus and ears for that fluid, and until you can get into the doc take some tylenol pm....it does not take away the pain for me entirely but it knocks me out so I can actually sleep and get some sort of rest!
Feel better soon (((HUGS)))
Mommy

· Registered
2,415 Posts
Right now I wouldn't put anything in your ear. If you had drainage it sounds like your ear drum may have broken and if so, you will make it much worse if you put anything in there except a bit of cotton to absorb the drainage. Until you can see a doctor, take a sinus pill to help dry you up and tylenol or whatever for pain. I'm not a medical professional but I've had alot of ear infections in my life. The home remedies are good to try before the eardrum breaks. I hope you get relief soon!

· Registered
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!

It isn't as bad this morning and I've been laying on that side of my head to drain some of the fluid out. I bought some cotton balls and had to cut them to size to at least cover my ear. I have some Ultra Tylenol and I might take the Sudafed (we actually have Dristan too) to help with the swelling.

3,593 Posts
I currently have ear pain and a bad case of dizziness.

Mine started about a week into this month. Just dizzy, especially when changing positions. Laying down in bed, and getting back up in the morning.
So I go see a doctor in the hospital in prompt care on the 11th. Only thing I can tell her is that I am dizzy. But I know it's in my ears.....it always heads there. So she gives me a prescription..... which turns out to be these little white pills that are for treating being dizzy only, which I fiqure out several days later at the pharmacy. Which I paid like $ 11 for, cash out of my pocket and they do me no good.

So yesterday, the 29th, I go to where my regular doctor is, but have to see a different doctor. I tell her I am dizzy, and now my ears are hurting. Not throbbing, but a steady hurt. She checks me all out, tells me my ears look fine, but says I have some inflamation in the nose. Gives me a prescription for a nasal spray. I go to a pharmacy to get it filled, and find out the insurance company wants some more paperwork from this doctor to verify that I need this spray. Which could take up to 3 days to get processed. So I ask the lady how much, fiquring, I could pay cash if it was a reasonable amount. She tells me $ 100.00.............
I say.....say how much ?!?!?!
Then when I pick myself up off the floor, I tell her give me back the prescription and never mind.
I am now going to treat myself with some regular nasal spray I have here, and I bought a box of Suphredrine PE with 18 tablets in it, for $1 at the dollar store this morning.

Be very careful what you put in your ears. And if you go outside in this cold weather, wear a hat down over them to protect yourself.

I wear hearing aides, and when my ears bother me with a cold or backed up sinus, it tends to really bother me.

If you fiqure out something better, let us know :)

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Something we do when we have an ear ache. Put a little bit of Vicks Vapor Rub on some cotton. It helps numb it and give you a little relief.

Debbie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.