Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose I shouldn't leave it dirty, even though it doesn't work.

What's the easiest way to clean it? Do I need oven cleaner or is there a less toxic way?

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Easy off no fumes is easiest after a mess. rinse like heck. I use water in a spray bottle and wipe and wipe. Then I turn it on for at least 1/2 hr. to bake off anything I missed.

If you get a past it's use cookie sheet and put under stuff it saves a lot of grief.

·
27,948 Posts
Easiest way, have someone else do it,lol. Sorry to be a wise guy, couldn't help myself.
It's been a while since I've had an oven that wasn't self cleaning but I second frugalwarriors tips. Brillo pad can help too. Keep the room well ventalated while working with the oven cleaner. I'd do that even if it was "no fumes" style of cleaner.
After you do get it clean be vigilant about wiping it out so you don't have to go through so much scrubbing.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I would vacuum any food particles out of the bottom of it. Afterwards, take some vinegar and spray the inside of the oven and your scrub brush. Coat the brush in some baking soda and scrub a small area. It should bubble up a bit and allow for anything that isn't incredibly baked on to get in there.

Afterwards, you might want to use the oven cleaner but the better that you get it cleaned beforehand, the less spraying you have to do with the oven cleaner. Ventilate the kitchen well and then follow the directions on the bottle.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Oh my goodnes, my method of cleaniing is so easy and painless!

It involves a twist of a dial and a self-clean feature. :D

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Oh Mrs. McDowell, The electricity of it all. Thats about a 6 hr. job. Are the newer ovens shorter. I hope so ,mine is about 20 years old.(not exaggerating)

Darlene,no fumes easy off requires no scrubbing. You just wipe. I got off stuff from 10 years ago. I forgot you can see thru an oven window.LOL.
I just did the BBQ w/ easy off BBq cleaner. You can rinse it w/ the hose!
It does still stink a bit and I do vote for good ventilation for sure.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
mine runs in about 3 hours. Comparing my TVM (time value of money) to the cost of electricity---I figure I come out way ahead.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I figured they must have imroved it and my technology was way behind (as usual). Another thing to put on my wish list. A new stove.!!!lol. Thats at the end of a long,long list.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
A cup of amonia in a glass dish over night in the oven. Wipe clean the next day..Takes a lot of wipeing but then I let mine go for ever before I do it...so it is really a mess before I start.

·
4,028 Posts
If the door is removable.... remove it. Less reaching, less stretching, better access.

I didn't want a self cleaning oven and I just wish I protected the bottom better.

·
27,948 Posts
Darlene,no fumes easy off requires no scrubbing. You just wipe. I got off stuff from 10 years ago. I forgot you can see thru an oven window.LOL.
I just did the BBQ w/ easy off BBq cleaner. You can rinse it w/ the hose!
It does still stink a bit and I do vote for good ventilation for sure.
They have come a long way since I had my clean-it-yourself oven.Thanks for the info. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Easiest?

Buy a new oven. (Call Sears, they'll install it).

You said EASIEST - not FRUGAL!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I will use the easy off no fumes if the oven hasn't been cleaned in a really long time.

Now I hardly ever use the oven but when something greasy is cooking away I make sure to wipe it down once the oven is cool enough. Anything really hard to get up I use an sos pad on. Really do enjoy opening the oven door and seeing a nice shiny interior.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts