Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be the first Easter basket year for my son. (last year we did an Easter Bucket, but it wasn't as exciting as this year will be)

What types of things do you add in addition to candy?
I am looking for ideas other than matchbox cars because he has way too many of those.

Sara

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put in summer toys for my kids. Frizzbees, sand toys, pool toys, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, kite, books... the list goes on. I try not to do to much candy, they dont need it. Alot of the things I mentioned can be gotten at any dollar store, and kids love them more then candy.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sand toys is a great idea. I saw some at Target a couple of weeks ago and he definitely could use some more.

Thanks for the ideas.

Sara

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
When my daughter was younger, I put in the books with cassettes, coloring books, crayons, magnets with numbers and ABC's, goldfish crackers, bubbles stuff you blow (she still wants the bubble stuff). Now she gets a cd, gum, nail polish and some troll dolls (she's decided to collect them). Other than the cd, I really don't spend much on the basket. It does have candy, but not that much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This year we are buying the girls 14, 10, and 6 tackle boxes and fishing poles The tackle boxes will have little candy in but mostly fishing items, a book to read. We are getting away the candy theme and more into an outdoor celebration.

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
I don't do candy for dss, he usually gets a bucket with sidewalk chalk, maybe a video, markers and new coloring books etc. I usually do a basket for dh also, kinda corny but I fill those little plastic eggs with notes why I love him, jelly beans and chocolate kisses, then a small bottle of a pricey liqueur or cute boxer shorts. I've been too busy to even start yet this year.

·
Registered
916 Posts
We are giving the kids a sandbox for Easter that they will share. I am also going to fill some plastic eggs with jelly beans and make some egg shaped sugar cookies.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I shop for Easter basket stuff at the Dollar Tree (everything a dollar) store.

This year I am putting in:
1/2 pound chocolate rabbit
bag of marbles (Eek, what AM I thinking, lol)
couple of Easter books bought for .50 at Goodwill
hammer (small one) as his old one fell apart (bad quality, this oen is better)
magnet activity
Last but not least, I MUST get a bag of jelly beans (and for me some cadbury eggs) It is not an Easter basket without Cadburry eggs and jelly beans--but since he doesn't LIKE Cadbury eggs, I'll buy those and eat them myself. HaHa.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
The year before last we put coloring books and crayons in his basket. Last year he got a Blue's Clues plate and fork/spoon set that he had wanted. I'm not sure what we'll do this year. I like the matchbox car idea........ he only has one so that might be a great idea to get him 2 or 3 to stick in the basket. He loves M&M's so we will defintely have to put some of those in too.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
My fil's gf just bought the kids some sidewalk chalk and Play-Doh in the shape of eggs. Really cute. I would have put some in their baskets if she didn't just buy some.

I picked up a couple of small chocolate bunnies, a couple of Reese's p.b. eggs, Play Doh in small tubs, jelly beans, and a small Lego set for my older dd. Still need to find something like that for my little one. Bubbles are a must here too.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found some cute small items for ds for his basket. I got him a silly straw, a whistle in the shape of an easter egg. (it's a necklace too), and I found some cute small bath squirters.

Sara

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CountryMom said:
A friend is putting juice boxes in her dkids Easter baskets. I thought that was a good non-Candy alternative.
That is a cute idea. I am adding fruit snacks too. I let him eat some out of the box already though. *LOL*

Sara

·
Registered
106 Posts
I lied. I ended up putting totally different things in his basket than I said above. I put some of that stuff away for Christmas stockings. His basket is ready in the attic...contains....
6 books (thrift shop)
video (thrift shop)
1/2 pound chocolate rabbit
a few jelly beans in plastic eggs
recycled basket, eggs, grass
little bunny in plastic egg
glass easter decoration
$1 watch from dollar store
Grand total after tax about $9.40

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Make your own Easter Baskets

You Need:

* Sheets of wallpaper samples* (see instructions for specifications)
* Paperboard (board from cereal boxes and shirt boxes)
* Glue (glue stick or tacky glue) other glues dry too fast or slow

PREPARATION:

Cutting:

First, cut two 6-1/2" circles from the paperboard; we used a cereal bowl as a template. Draw your circle on the printed side so it won't show when assembled.

Select your wallpaper samples. (Stay away from extra thick wallpapers). You will need 18 pieces that are 2-1/2" x 8" (these are the up and down spines). You will need 6 pieces 2-1/2" x 14" (these are the bands that will be woven around; we tried to make these all the same pattern). You will need two pieces that are 2-1/2 x 16-1/2 (these are for the handle). You also need to cut a 6-1/2" wallpaper circle.

Folding and Gluing strips:

Fold the 18 ------2-1/2 x 8" pcs. in thirds (see above illustration) and glueshut.

Take the 6 ------ 2-1/2 x 14" pcs. and glue two pieces end to end overlapping about 1" (making 3 strips 2-1/2 x 27"). Then fold in thirds and glue shut.

Glue the two pieces that are 2-1/2" x 16-1/2" end to end overlapping about 2" (making one long strip for the handle) fold in thirds and glue shut.

Let strips dry.

ASSEMBLY:

Gluing:

First, put a piece of paperboard with the clean blank side FACE DOWN. Then, glue the ends of the long handle strip to the center of the paperboard circle (you will be gluing your handle to the ugly printed side of the paperboard but this will be covered up later). The handle pieces should meet in the center. (see above illustration)

Next, glue the 8" strips to the circle (2" on the circle 6" extending beyond the circle). Glue 9 strips on each side of the circle overlapping a bit; spacing out to be even. Do the same on the other side of the circle with the other 9 strips.

Glue the second cardboard circle on top of the strips and the first circle. Next glue the wallpaper circle on top of these. Let dry.

Weaving:

Now, you'll need to first gently bend up (right at the point where the circle ends) each of the 18 strips to crease them for easier weaving.

Glue the first 27" strip to the inside of the handle, then bring it in front of the first 8" strip; behind the next; in front of the next and so on until you get to the next handle strip. (Pull the strip a little to tighten up the basket and make sure it is meeting the base of the basket). Glue it to the inside of the handle and continue weaving starting with outside the next strip and so on until you get all the way around the basket to the starting point. (Again, pull the strip to tighten making sure it meets the base).Glue the strip to the starting point and trim away any excess.

Glue the second 27" strip to the outside of the handle, then weave behind the first strip, in front of the next, etc.opposite of what you did with the first strip (see illustration) until you get to the handle on the other side (make sure to do your tightening and push down a little on the strip to make sure it meets the first strip). Then, put a little glue on the handle where the strip will go. Weave your strip behind the next 8" strip, etc. till you get back to the outside of the first handle /starting point (tighten it up). Glue the strip in place and trim.

The third strip goes exactly like the first one did. (except it tightens down to the second strip, of course, not the base of the basket)

Trimming:

Trim all the strips on the outside to 1". Trim all the inside strips even with the basket. Fold over the outside strips to the inside and glue down. Glue the inside strip in place too. If the centers of the strips tend to open up. Insert a little glue inside them and press down.

Let your basket dry .

* Most wallpaper stores are happy to give away their discontinued sample books. (Be sure to call ahead and make sure they have some.)

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
How cute! Thanks Michelle!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
You are welcome. I thought maybe I could even do this one...lol!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
That is so cute, and not hard to do....... I love it !!!! Thanks !

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
so cute!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 167 Posts