Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in charge of Easter dinner this year, with my younger sis possibly helping out. I need ideas for side dishes please! We are having ham and ??????? :D

·
27,948 Posts
Mashed potatoes for the potato queen, duh. :queen2:

sorry, couldn't resist teasing

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Scalloped potatoes are good with ham, thats what we are having.......how about steamed asparagus......a nice salad...some rolls or biscuits:cool:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
How about a lemon jello salad with pineapple tidbits and chopped bananas, cool whip on top? :fdance:

·
Registered
292 Posts
My faves are the standard green bean casserole and macaroni and cheese, plus they go great with ham.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Scalloped potatoes, spinach strawberry salad, ambrosia, asparagus, squash casserole and rolls to go with our ham. Hummingbird cake and cherry cheesecake pies for desert.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All great ideas ladies, keep 'em coming!

Darlene, I'll deal with you later young lady! :p

Oh, and dad changed the menu. He went out and got pork tenderloins today to do on the grill. Well that is if it EVER stops snowing here. ;)

I would like to know what hummingbird cake is too please?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Okay, I see a lot of people having scalloped potatos, do you cheat and use a box or do you have recipes to share? I would like to try something different than the usual mashed potatos

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I make homemade pierogies. Yum!! And green beans, of course, and rolls, and some sort of pie. Cakes are for birthdays, pies are for holidays! :D

But I don't eat any red meat/pork- only turkey and very rarely turkey, so not sure what I will be making meat-wise, if I make anything. Usually, we got to my sister's house, but plans with her in-laws interfere this year.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mmmmm Kimberly, I have had it in my mind to make homemade perogies lately too.

Care to share your recipe? :bowing: Mine is huge! :eek:

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Ummm....I'd love to, but I don't use a recipe. :uhh: After I posted this, I though, "oh, i hope no one asks for the recipe!" LOL and sorry!

I always make way too much, too. I am mostly english and irish, but my grandfather was polish/lithuanian, and pierogies are just in my veins. I just mix this and that until I get what I want. But I'm sure allrecipes or recipezaar must have a good recipe. Let me look. around.

Here are some links:

http://www.recipezaar.com/104071
http://www.recipezaar.com/113099

And here is a "mock" pierogie dish. It is a casserole made with lasagna noodles. I think I might just make this for dinner tonight (minus the Velveeta), as DD could eat pierogies at every meal if we let her. (My great gradmother would be appalled, but since I don't have time to make hommade ones frequently, I buy Mrs. T's for her....) :uhh:
http://www.recipezaar.com/22444 This got 5 stars from the people who reviewed it.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Kimberly! :D

I am a huge fan of Mrs. T's too! ;)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
:confused: You mean you can have something for Easter with ham besides mashed potatoes and rolls? Hmmmm.... nearly every Easter dinner I can remember has been ham, mashed potatoes, and rolls. I know there were other sides-- jello salad, cake, etc-- but the main dishes were always the same.

On the other side of my family, though, that grandma (the one who passed away last year) would occasionally rebel-- one year she made lasagna for Easter just because she was in the mood for it. The family was all in shock-- it still makes me laugh to think about it now. :laugh:

As for an easy scalloped potato recipe, I make mine from scratch in the microwave. Here's the recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/47376 . Another reviewer on that site converted it to an oven recipe if you'd rather do them that way-- see the review by "melsmom" just below the recipe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts