Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Michelle's recent thread on here about dumplings got me hungry for chicken & dumplings!
So, here's the recipe I tried, and loved, last night:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
(I'm writing the original recipe AND my modifications- I rarely follow a recipe exactly!) :chef:

EASY CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS
6 boneless chicken thighs (I used 3 large boneless breasts)
2 cans cream of celery soup (I used 1 cr chicken & 1 cr celery)
1 tube refridgerator biscuit dough (mine was 7oz, store brand)
salt & pepper to taste

I also added:
a 29oz can homestyle chunky cut VegAll
a can of peas & onions
one chopped onion
celery salt, Mrs Dash, and lots of black pepper

In a large pot over high heat, combine the chicken with enough water (I used two cans chicken broth with some water) to cover, and boil for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is done. Remove chicken and allow it to cool, then shred or chop into bite sized pieces and return it to the broth in the pot.

Reduce heat to medium & add the creamed soups (and veggies). Season to taste. Pull the biscuit dough into pieces, and drop them into the soup. Cook for 7-8 minutes or until the dough is as cooked as you'd like. (I cooked mine about 12 min!)

The original recipe also suggested draining all but three cups of the broth before returning the chicken, but I like mine soupy, so I left all the liquid in the pot.
------------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe was exactly what I was craving. I'm eating the leftovers now for lunch. YUM!! :D

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I love chicken and dumplings and this recipe looks a lot better than the one I was using. THANKS!!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Thanks Amy !!!!

·
27,948 Posts
Sounds delicious Amy. I often tweek recipes too.;)

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Thanks for posting this Amy--I wish I could try it LOL I just started Atkins on Monday :laugh:

Your recipe has made me hungry :hungry:

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I made this for supper the other night and it was great! I used the 6 thighs, chicken and celery soup and a packet of Bisquick Complete. I served the peas on the side. Great frugal meal!

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I wanted to make Chicken and Dumplings tomorrow and remembered how good Amy's recipe was....So.....took me 15 mins to find,but worth it.

Just thought I'd bump it up as well :D

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, I wondered why this appeared as a "new post" on my list.
Enjoy! :)

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
lol...I made it tonight....We havent had chicken and dumplings in a good while,so it was delish!! :D

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
This sounds very yummy, I will have to try this

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I may have to try this. I've been wanting them a lot lately and then on Oprah yesterday Tim McGraw should his recipe, that made me want him, I mean them even more :whistle:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Just for you Kathryn

Tim McGraw's recipe....

Tim McGraw made his grandmother's chicken and dumplings for Faith Hill when they were dating! They go perfectly with Faith's cornbread.

INGREDIENTS
1 small chicken
Water
2 cups of all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
Milk
1 egg

Boil chicken, adding salt to taste. When tender, pull chicken from the bone and return to the broth.

Pour flour into a bowl, leaving a hole in the middle. Add 1 egg and enough milk to form a doughy consistency (similar to how you would make biscuits). Sprinkle flour on cutting board. Pinch off part of the dough and roll into a thin sheet and cut into squares. Drop one square at a time into broth. Continue this until all of the dough is used. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer until tender.

Allow the dumplings to thicken the broth until it is a creamy consistency.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I make my chicken and dumplings like Amy except that I used cream of chicken instead of cream of celery. Tim McGraw's recipe sounds good too.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the recipe I'll have to try it

·
Registered
256 Posts
Bumping up again forgot all about this

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
My mom always used canned rolls to make the bumplings. It works but its not as good as homemade. I think I will make some tomarrow

1 - 19 of 19 Posts