Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a site i ran across. I know someone was asking about making personal package size oatmeal packs.. Looks really easy. I wanna try it because hubby loves his oatmeal packages,he loves the kroger brand for a box of 10 brown sugar and maple flavor packets are $1.75 on sale. He eats 4 at breakfast i know it seems like alot but really it isn't.

The “Secret” To Making Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets | One Good Thing by Jillee

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just bookmarked it. My DH only eats two but loves them when the cold weather hits1

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Thanks for info!

When I've put brown sugar into these mixes, it's turned into very hard lumps. The dry ingredients suck the moisture out of it. I would use white sugar or add the brown sugar to each serving as it's made up.

She said powdered milk would, or might, get moldy. I wonder if that would be from the moisture in powdered sugar, plus the sugar itself feeding mold. IMO, that's another reason to use white sugar instead of brown sugar or add the brown sugar when it's serving time.

I wouldn't bother with the little baggies. I would put everything in a storage container with tight lid, shake it to mix, put written instructions on a label on the outside, and leave a scoop of the appropriate size in the container with the oatmeal. Way less work and fussing around. You might even be able to store the mix in the tube the oatmeal comes in, so not even have to wash the container once it's emptied.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just bookmarked it. My DH only eats two but loves them when the cold weather hits1

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
I make it for DH by just measuring the portion of quick oats into a baggie with sugar and dried fruit. No need to process it. He adds hot water and lets it sit just like the instant.

If I put it in a jar he would not mess with measuring it out in the morning. And in the baggie he can grab one to make at work if he is in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i wouldn't use the baggies. I keep the reuseable coffee containers, wash them really well or everything will taste like coffee. Just store them in those and use a scoop per bowl, to me that would be best. because i can eat 2 packages at a setting.So i would say one scoop would be 2 servings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts