Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is so easy that even I can do it!

I put a couple chicken breasts in the crock pot. It's ok if they are frozen. Then cover with some BBQ sauce. Let cook for 4-6 hrs, depending on your crock pot. When the chicken is cooked take two forks and pull it all apart. Then put on a lightly toasted hamburger bun. Incredibly easy and good!

(This is done in my $3 yardsale crock pot, chicken breasts were $1.66/lb sale price, sale BBQ sauce $1, whole wheat buns $1.25/bag at bakery thrift store) :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I love this and do it often when I know I am going to be gone and have to have a late dinner...

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I've also done this and it is delicious! I use the chicken for sandwiches, in wraps, and in salads.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Save money per pound and buy bone-in breasts. The meat falls off quite easily, plus you get the flavor from the bone.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
This sounds very doable for me - how much BBQ sauce did you use? Did you just coat the chicken or did you put enough to cover them? And did you spray non stick spray inside the crock first?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I don't spray, but you can. I only put in enough BBQ sauce to coat the chicken. Once it's done cooking and shredded, if it needs more sauce, I'll put it back in the crock pot with more sauce until hot.

As an aside, if I do BBQ beef this way, I don't cook the beef with any sauce, saving it for when it's shredded.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Mndtp I am like you I don't put the sauce on until it is shredded...I do if I fix bone in put it back in the crockpot after I shred it and keep it warm until I am ready to serve it...

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I don't spray, but you can. I only put in enough BBQ sauce to coat the chicken. Once it's done cooking and shredded, if it needs more sauce, I'll put it back in the crock pot with more sauce until hot.

As an aside, if I do BBQ beef this way, I don't cook the beef with any sauce, saving it for when it's shredded.
Yum - I can't wait to try this....I'm going to try the bone in chicken breast and just remove the skins when I place them in the crock.

Thanks for the heads up OP & everyone for the tips!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts