Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Easy strawberry preserves

Recipe Description
I made this recipe today, and I can't stop thinking about it! I'm pretty sure I am going to be dreaming about it tonight! And the kicker...I HATE strawberries, but I love this jam!​
Preparation Steps:
Boil water in a large stock pot. Add enough water to cover pint jars and have 1 inch of water on top of the jars. Boil jars and lids to sterilize.​
Level of Difficulty:
EASY for first time canners!​
Time Needed:
1 hour start to finish (includes water bath)​
Ingredients:
4 pounds strawberries
4 pounds sugar​
Serves:
6 pints​
Directions:
Cut strawberries and puree in blender or food processor. Put in a stock pot or dutch oven (seperate from stock pot with boiling water). Add sugar & stir until dissolved. Simmer 20 minutes, making sure it comes to a boil. (just watch it, because it will boil over quickly).

Put into 6 pint jars while hot. Wipe off rims, add tops. Place into water bath and boil for 20 minutes. Remove and cool for 24-48 hours. If you can't resist taste testing, place a jar in the fridge and it will gel faster and can be eaten within a few hours!​

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually was wondering the same thing. After I canned up all the preserves, I said something to DH about splenda. I might try it, becuase I plan to can a bunch for Christmas as gifts and we have 2 diabetics in the family and I'd love to give them some sugar free preserves!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I know Splenda is sweeter then sugar when you measure it out ounce for ounce. I might try to work with it and see what happens/

Thanks for the recipe! I couldn't find a place to click to thank you :)

Andrea

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just found this recipe and it sounds wonderful and easier than even the freezer jelly. Does it gel up good? the last cooked jelly I made didn't set but I had some great elderberry syrup for pancakes. I can get a pound of berries this week BOGOF fpr 3.99 and the sugar is also on sale 4 pounds for 1.79. so I could get a jump on the jelly season. Thanks

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I just made some this week using Splenda. I found several recipes for different jams at the kraft foods website. The sure-gel you want to use comes in a pink box. I had no luck finding that but our walmart carries the ball brand that is for the low-sugar recipes. Here is the link to the strawberry jam I made.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/no-sugar-needed-strawberry-jam-66293.aspx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts