Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Easy Watermelon Jelly

Recipe Description
So easy to make and fast! I used 1/2 medium size watermelon and it made 7 pints.​
Preparation Steps:
Cut up 4 cups of watermelon
Put one box of pectin in a bowl and mix with 1/4 cup sugar - set aside
Sanitize jars and lids by boiling for 5 minutes​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
1/2 hour to 1 hour​
Ingredients:
4 cups watermelon - no seeds or rind
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 box dry pectin
3 1/2 cup sugar​
Serves:
7 pints​
Directions:
Place 4 cups watermelon in a blender and purify (should be 2 cups of watermelon juice when done)

Pour into large pot and add 3 tbsp lemon juice

Bring to full rolling boil

Stir in pectin mixture and once again bring to rolling boil

Stir in remaining sugar - when it reaches full boil, boil hard for one minute

Test for thickness (use metal tbsp that has sat in ice water - take 1/2 spoonful of juice - let cool to room temperature - if it thickens to how you want it it is finished - if it isn't thick enough add more pectin and boil for one more minute

Fill jars to 1/4 inch from top, put on lids and rings.

Put jars in boiling water (covered with 2 inches of water) in a stock pot. Boil for 10 minutes.

Remove from stock pot and place on a clean cloth free from draft. Let sit until the lids pop.

Shelf life - 12 months​

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo, sounds like something I could do!! For the water bath - do you need any special equipment or can you use a regular stockpot?

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just used a regular stockpot maui. No special equipment needed. :)

StaceyS - I believe it! Once we try it and if everyone likes it then I will definitely be making alot more. I couldn't believe how easy it was and how fast. Everyone (and we have company here right now) is just eyeballing them up wanting to try it. :)

Reactions: mauimagic

·
4,028 Posts
That sounds positively delicious! I might do some extra for gifts this year.

Reactions: Debbie-cat

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Debbie-Cat, you rock! Thanks for the recipe - I will use yours. I wanted one that makes more than 4 half pints but I never saw one until now.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Starsapphire...after your post, I went and looked at my jars...they are half-pint!!!! I didn't even notice that. Thank you for saying that as I don't want to sway anybody wrong. :)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Starsapphire...after your post, I went and looked at my jars...they are half-pint!!!! I didn't even notice that. Thank you for saying that as I don't want to sway anybody wrong. :)
I figured you meant half pints :D but still, you got 7 jars out of it and all the other recipes I saw only make 4. Plus, your recipe uses the powdered pectin and I only found recipes using the liquid which costs twice as much as here.

Now I can't wait to make watermelon jelly! I have to wait until this weekend when I have more time.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Mahalo, sounds like something I could do!! For the water bath - do you need any special equipment or can you use a regular stockpot?

I have a big 24 quart restaurant pot that I use. I (carefully) use some big BBQ tongs for putting in/taking out the jars.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Awesome, we just had our watermelon patch ripen this week and I was thinking about what to do with them. I can't believe how well my garden did this summer, we got so much rain some of my melons split :(
Thanks

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
thanks for this. I can buy watermelons for $1.99 right now so this would be a great recipe to try!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Oh wow this sounds absolutely delicious! My family loves watermelon and I know that they would get into this. I am definitely going to try it out this weekend!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I never would have thought....

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have never made jelly before but am thinking about trying this. Do you mean sure-gel when you say dry pectin and could you substitute splenda for the sugar? TIA

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sure-jel is fine and yes, you can use splenda. :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yum!! Thank you!

·
19,119 Posts
Debbie - for some reason this is much more appealing than dandelion jelly!! LOL

1 - 20 of 65 Posts