1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I've never been in a whole foods so I can't answer. However our household of 4 spends less than that most months.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don't have a Whole Foods near here. But even if you add in health and beauty, diapers, etc., we would still come in under that amount and we're a family of 5. We tend to cook from scratch and we do buy fresh fruits and veggies, so we get a pretty well rounded diet. This includes having to buy alternatives to milk for 1 1/2 kids (one kid totally allergic, one has to have reduced consumption because of intolerance).

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
The blogger referenced in her 30 day wrap up that she lives in an area with extremely high grocery prices.

I think it was interesting and I was glad she posted what they ate.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Thanks for the link from what I saw it looked like an interesting blog post/experiment. I will be looking at it more when I have more time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow! Interesting USDA prices and great blog. My family of 2 and one cat spends $250 total per month, so we're $114.10 less than the thrifty average. I feel very thrifty today!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
That is interesting. I must admit that I have NO idea what it would cost to feed the four of us if we didn't grow much of our own food.

As it is, I spend less than $100 per month at the grocery store and $150 more or less every other month at a co-op. Sometimes DH's cousin gets good deals on produce for her store and we buy something by the case, like 48 heads of broccoli for $10 or 60 avocados for $12.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Based on the prices at the Whole Foods I have been to, there is no way I could do it on that budget.

They have not nicknamed that store "Whole Paycheck" for nuthin!

I will say the best rib eye steak I have ever cooked from home was from Whole Foods. My sister had bought it and was going on a business trip and was going to have to throw it away. Ready for this...it was a Black Angus 9 month dry aged steak at $24.99 a pound. This one was just a bit under a pound and the price tag on the package was over $20 for 1 steak. Not something I would ever buy....but boy was it amazingly good!!! lol

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
we don't have one here I read the thread and thought that she done well with the budget.... groceries are becoming a major concern no matter the income so being a savy shopper will be come harder...

i only buy the produce that is on sale every week.. salad is 2/5 this week. going to check the price of romaine. carrots are 1.99 for baby. an 8 lb of pots are 3.99 here this week. strawberries 1.99 a quart..this will be the produce in all my meals this week...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Whole Foods is horribly expensive so I can't imagine that budget would work but who knows. Thanks for posting!!!

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked at what they were eating and there was a lot of ground beef and pasta in their meals. Frozen vegetables and cheap fruit like apples, oatmeal every day for breakfast, too. While they were shopping at WF, they certainly weren't eating fancy.

Still, IMO they could have bought ground beef, pasta, apples and oatmeal at the regular grocery for about half what they spent for the WF brand and probably not noticed a difference.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
love WF! you can find good prices....just depends and you need to know the foods and the store itself. there 365 brand coffee morning buzz is WONDERFUL!!!!! love it!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here Whole Foods is much more expensive than our other stores. I shop at Trader Joes if I want to shop a "health store". Most of our grocery stores carry many of the same types of products now for less- although Trader Joes is priced great- they just don't have everything we need.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I recently went to a whole foods store to find out what it was all about and I agree with the other posters that I don't know how it was possible to shop there on a budget. Everything I looked at was 3-6 times more than I spend on those items. I did not look at the article yet that you were referring to, but I will.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Family of 3 $503 that was the cheap plan.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
That's really interesting, really interesting. What strikes me most is the recipes she has listed. My guys seriously could eat a entire recipe each by themselves, I'd have a family a skeleton men in no time if I went this direction. My guys have lumber jack appetites. But, as she pointed out starches often round out meals, which can cause obesity.

I appreciate how she pointed out that is really was a struggle, and that she can't imagine continuing to do this. Which frankly is a breath of fresh air, most of these kinds of blogs are all, it's a piece of cake, we are not going to go back to being the wasteful over consumers we used to be. All pious and annoying. LOL! I've read quite a few of these kinds of blogs, and this is the first one I felt was worth the read. Thanks for posting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts