Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came across this blog today.

A man's sister challenged him to eat well for only $1 a day for the whole month. He used coupons and sales and did it, then extended the challenge further.

I searched the village forums and didn't see a post about this, so I'm posting it now.

I became hooked and couldn't stop reading, so you may want to wait until you have some free time. Luckily, the baby obliged and napped the whole time. :baby:

http://www.grocerycouponguide.com/articles/eating-well-on-1-a-day/

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
do you have a link?

·
27,948 Posts
:yeah: While looking for the link (typing in that title) I found some other interesting sites to take a look at sometime. ;)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
:yeah: While looking for the link (typing in that title) I found some other interesting sites to take a look at sometime. ;)
Me too. I'm looking at one from last summer now. I love seeing what they get for almost free!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry folks! Got so excited, I forgot the link! Added it in, now!

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
I read the first few pages and he seems to be doing ok with the food, nutritionally speaking. Oatmeal, rice, carrots and apples aren't the most exciting foods, but at least they are healthful.

I've got to wonder though, does this guy have a job? He spends a lot of time each day shopping and doing multiple transactions and I can't see a normal mother of 3 with a day job, trying to make ends meet, doing this like he is.

Reactions: OOwl and NikoSan999

·
Registered
938 Posts
This is actually from last year. I loved following it! He also has/had a blog where he gets everything he can for dirt cheap or free to donate to the food closets. He'd fill his entire car with cereal and donate to all the food banks in his area.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've read this blog. Like you Amy, I couldn't stop reading it, and spent nearly a whole afternoon reading it.

I tried posting this link on thread called "BEST CHEAP FOODS" a few days ago. But I couldn't get the link to work.

I loved the fact that he donates so much food to the food bank.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
This guys runs the other frugal board I frequent.

The way I explain it to my husband is that FV is like a coffee klatch, we sit around with our cups of coffee and talk about the day-to-day stuff. The other site is like you are sitting around a board room in a suit and tie talking about retirement and mortgages and the like.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, what an interesting challenge! I'm bookmarking the site so I can finish reading when I have more time. Thanks for sharing :)

I loved the fact that he donates so much food to the food bank.
I second that!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I, too, spent more time than I should of reading through his blog, but most of the food looked really unappealing to me. That guy really needs to splurge and take some cooking classes! I, too, wonder if he has a job to go to each day. His thrift seems to take him most of the day, plus some. Perhaps he's paid by blog advertisers. However, that type of frugality is probably out of reach to someone such as myself that's at work all day and taking care of a family at night. I did pick up some shopping tips, though, and it was interesting to read about another alternative lifestyle. Thank you for posting the link.

·
4,028 Posts
I'm really enjoying his adventure. I don't think I would want to do it... but I'm not opposed to eating lentils every day. :)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Really interesting. I have to wonder just what this guy does for a living. House sit? He seems to have a lot of free time. There are deals out there using coupons, and it sure looks like he's figured out how to work it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
His blog account is fascinating. I'll have to disagree with him on eating "well" though. Is he living on junk food garbage? No. Is he eating "well" (by my definition)? No. His meals are repetitive and sometimes fairly disgusting. It does make me think about how much I could further I could trim our grocery budget though.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I don't have x 2 read it all ...but I've bookmarked it & will read it later... Thanks :) It's hard 2 believe-porknbeans would upset a stomach so much..looking 4ward 2 finding out the real cause...

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I read the first couple of pages. Have to say was pretty impressed. Really has the couponing down. If only I could eat more rice. Maybe this week I will make a batch up and freeze it in portions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks will book mark and read when I have more time. Shoji, your commet about rice is what hooked me to bookmark it. We use a bit of rice so I'm interested in seeing how he uses it.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I too love to read what people get for free or almost free. However, not everyone has all those stores. Like my town. We have no CVS, Rite Aid, or any of the other major drug store chains. All we have is 2 different grocery stores, Bi-Lo and Ingles, Kmart, Walmart, and we do have a big lots. So it makes it much harder to save major amounts of money. I can drive to all these stores but I have to take gas prices into consideration and also time. Most of the time I just don't do it.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts