Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just got the 3rd bed done in front of the house i tiered the hill so now i have 3 beds around 12 ft long and have 2 loads of cow manure comming tomorrow to mix with the horse manure i got yesterday all free--going to be a busy year plant wise -i only kept the daffodils along the drive all other space will be garden or fruit trees-the pears are already buding and so are the peaches apples and figs will soon--going to ues the garden for only beans all the rest of the raised gardens will be for tomatos,peppers,greens and herbs---if you cant eat it don't grow it got to go transplant red raspberrys next--hope everyone is getting ready for planting--hugs to all fv and their familys

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
monkeywrangler71--sorry about the delay getting back to you -had 4 loads of cow manure and 2 horse delivered and have been trying to get the beds ready for spring and rotortilling it into the soil-to answer your question ill take pics of it all as soon as i get the beds done and toanswer your other question-my yard slopes down so for the first wall i made it about 5 feet down the hill and about 18 inches and the same with the next and the next. i tilled each plot and worked the manure and sawdust horse to around 14 in. deep so i have 3 walls about 5 ft. wide and so forth. all the walls are free standing and curve with the hill-i used old cinder blocks for the bottom rows and natrul stone on top-looks good-you have to dig a flat spot for the blocks as you are laying them should work on any hill --ill have them filled soon and will take pics--got a friend thats going to give me son aspeargus plant and they will be in one of the plots good luck with you plots --hugd to all fv

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
This is my goal this year also..I plan on planting a Herb garden just need to figure out where I will be making a permanent home for it..I will be adding several fruit trees..I'm really excited!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I won't give up my flowers. I even put flowers in the vegetable garden but then I have peppers and tomatoes in my flower borders.

Our current project is to remake the strawberry beds into raised beds. I need to find or make a cage that looks nice to put in the middle of each bed. I am going to plant tomatoes in each one. I get blight so bad I thought some virgin soil would have to be a good thing.

·
Registered
955 Posts
One of the things I've done is looked closely at the kitchen garden/potager books. They have many suggestions for varieties that are good for culinary, but also fill aesthetic desires. For example, scarlet runner beans - great beans, plus beautiful red flowers that bring in hummers; nasturtiums; many herb plants have beautiful flowers; etc. Plus interesting foliage - like multi colored basils, sages, lettuces, etc. No reason you can't have function AND form in a vegetable garden! :)

Reactions: itlw8
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.